ITL
    mtbr member

Southridge Winter Series Questions

I've tried to search and did come up with pict threads, but not as much on the general info side. I'm thinking about giving mtb racing a shot, and I have my eye on the Southridge Winter Series...hoping a few SoCal racers are seeing this.

How technical is the course? As a beginning mtb'er is this a good place to start? If not, recommendations?

I am not ready to commit to a bike just yet, but I was thinking about starting with my old (late 80's maybe?) Klein Pinnacle. Full rigid with an Anser steel fork...hey, it was quite the machine in its day! Functionally, all is well except for the brake pads. It's been morphed around quite a bit, but currently sits with a 48-38-24 crank and a 13-28 7-speed cassette. Cantis for brakes and Shimano spd pedals

With this in mind, will this get me around the circuit to at least get a good taste of mtb racing?

Any suggestions on tires?...I have a new set of Kenda Karma's I bought on recommendation that they would be a good all around tire, though I was not thinking about racing when I bought them.

As for me, I'm a road bike rider, just returning to riding in general (been back on the bike since June, though on a stationary trainer for over a year). I do get on the bike regularly and follow a regular weekly training/conditioning program either on the bike of on a stationary trainer. The program I follow is varied with intervals, lsd, and varied hard and easy efforts with a couple of rest days in a week's program. On the road I have some great riding near by with varied terrain, including some decent climbing. There are several group rides around here and I do ride with a few of them, though the faster rides (made up of mostly local road racers) will drop me most of the time. I think that conditioning wise I'll be OK, but I'll likely I'll suffer from poor bike handling on the dirt.

Anyway, getting long-winded. Any thoughts appreciated!

Thanks in advance

On your left.
    Jan 2004
    I haven't raced Southridge for many years, but I agree rusty MTB handling skills could be a problem, or the lack of low gearing on your bike. Go preride the course - it's open. If you are still interested, just show up on race day and register as a beginner.
    M

ITL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Motivated View Post
    I haven't raced Southridge for many years, but I agree rusty MTB handling skills could be a problem, or the lack of low gearing on your bike. Go preride the course - it's open. If you are still interested, just show up on race day and register as a beginner.
    Thanks for the input Motivated. I definitely will preride the course, great suggestion. The bike was last used as a grocery-getter/utility bike and the gearing is a little tall. I found a 7 speed cassette with a 13(or was it 14?)-34 range. I also have a 34T chainring somewhere in the garage...I think? So with basically 24-34-48(won't be using the 48 much I don't think) and a 13-34 rear, do you think the gearing is a little more reasonable? I guess that preride will tell me a lot about the gearing.

On your left.
    Jan 2004
    That gearing should be fine. Last I raced there the course demanded a wide range of gears from tractor chugging uphills to unimpeded downhills. Also be prepared with clothing - its usually really cold before the start, then warms up quickly. Enjoy the racing - that's a great place and a great series.
    M

ITL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Motivated View Post
    That gearing should be fine. Last I raced there the course demanded a wide range of gears from tractor chugging uphills to unimpeded downhills. Also be prepared with clothing - its usually really cold before the start, then warms up quickly. Enjoy the racing - that's a great place and a great series.
    Thank you Motivated, I appreciate the input.

mtbr member
    I think it's a pretty fun course actually. I've heard others bad mouth it but I've always enjoyed it. Cat 2 usually does 2 laps and Cat 1 and Pro do 3 if I remember correctly. As far as technicality, I would rank in maybe a bit more technical than your average XC course. Not saying that it's terrible demanding, but I think the majority of XC courses are fairly simple. This one has some narrow sections and a few small rock drops that at least keep you on your toes. Good times! Give it a try for sure!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Southridge is a super fun race series. I'd say that sometimes the course is a bit more technical, but just because more of it tends to be singletrack than many courses.

Definitely go pre-ride to get an idea of the course, your gearing, and bike, and see how you feel.

Enjoy!

ITL
    mtbr member
    Thank you Allison and jcm. I guess the best way to know for sure is to go out and ride the course! That seems remarkably obvious and I guess I should have thought about that one. How easy, or difficult, is it to follow the course on a non-race weekend?

Enjoyed reading through your blog Allison...Peanut Butter Fudge!

On your left.
    Jan 2004
    You can also get a good idea of the Fontana Southridge XC course by watching YouTube helmet cam videos - just note there is a DH course there too, which will get more hits.
    M

ITL
    mtbr member
    Thanks again Motivated,I'll take a look.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ITL View Post
    Thank you Allison and jcm. I guess the best way to know for sure is to go out and ride the course! That seems remarkably obvious and I guess I should have thought about that one. How easy, or difficult, is it to follow the course on a non-race weekend?
    They just had a DH race this past weekend, not sure on XC, but there may be some markings. If you have a GPS you could follow a course file from Garmin Connect.

I'm somewhat hesitant to post this link as it could be confusing now: Geoladders -- Southridge (Fontana) A large portion of the loop is now off-limits due to the neighborhoods, but the first part of the route should still work. The difference is, once you get around #17/mi 2.16, you'll want to go left. There are also some other singletrack's they use on top of the hill that aren't included, but at least you can get an idea of some of the course. You'll rejoin the course around #32/mi 5.24 and can continue from there.

Here is the current US Cup course (should be basically similar to SRC's): Geoladders -- 2012 US Cup-FONTANA XC COURSE ALL No pictures, but you can see the map and player and get an idea for where it goes.

ITL
    mtbr member
    Thank you again Allison. I did find my way to Geoladders and find it very helpful...the picts seem to help draw a mental picture of what to expect. Good to know about current restrictions in the area. I have a Garmin 500, so I'll look into Garmin Connect.