I like to ride my bike.

Sorry...bike vs bike again...Trek Fuel or Devinci Moonracer

Yeah, I know these threads are boring...

I want a new race bike for next year, for various reasons...(hey, anyone want a C'Dale Rush? ) and I have narrowed the two bikes down to a Trek Top Fuel 9.8 and a Devinci Moonracer SL 4. I race Expert.

Moonracer Likes:
    Would change very few components
    Light
    Very "racey" geometry
    Aluminum frame (rocky terrain..in terms of crashing, see below)
    Lifetime warranty

Moonracer Dislikes:
    Geometry may be too racey...may be a bit twitchy for Northeast technical trails
    Not much info on the bike

Trek Likes:
    ABP suspension (totally awesome)
    Less money
    Light
    Lifetime warranty
    Geometry may be more suitable for terrain

Trek Dislikes:
    Carbon frame (falling on sharp, pointy rocks)
    Would want to replace more components

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...uel/topfuel98/

Any ideas?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by RideFaster; 11-06-2008 at 03:21 PM.
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    My buddy has a Moonracer, he loves it and kicked my arse this year. Surely it was the bike, not the engine. I think in comparing the two bikes you can't go wrong with either, I'd buy whichever one you think looks nicer.

As far as geometry goes the Moonracer looks rather standard to me, not too racy at all.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    +1 for the moonracer.
    If you're replacing few components on it compared to the top fuel, plus the fact that you dont have to worry about completely trashing a carbon frame in the first 100ft of your first race (which i have seen before....), my vote would be for the moonracer.
    my other ride is an ice-cream truck.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The Trek sure is sexy though.

Metalheadbikerider

Can you test rIde both?

Components can be changed when worn, frames cannot. Ride both and buy the one that feels better. Geometry is more important than a seatpost. Are they both available locally? I prefer to buy locally, especially for any issues that may arise.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

I like to ride my bike.
    Each time I think I'm settled on one, the other begins to look more appealing.

-The Devinci looks better.
    -Yes, I don't want to make a $2000 mistake at the start of the race.
    -The Trek, in my opinion looks okay...not sexy though (to me.)
    -I definitely can't test ride a Devinci considering I'm in the US and test riding a Trek, although slightly more likely probably won't happen either.

The wheels are close in weight, but the Bontragers essentially have DT 240 hubs, which is awesome. I love Mavic wheels as a whole, but their freehubs may not be the best.

Geometry on the two is pretty similar, but the major difference is the wheelbase. 43 on the Devinci and 44.5ish on the Trek. Wouldn't a longer wheelbase feel better in technical stuff, but slower on smooth sections / climbs?

And I'm still unsure how the Devinci would feel without a pivot by the axle. Some say this will make it feel like a single pivot, which I want to get away from. But with this little travel, and as a race bike, does it matter?

Thanks for everybody's help!
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

bi-winning
    Look how fast the Devinci is!

When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    If you are looking to swap components right away from the Trek, you can recoup money back by selling the factory stuff. In my opinion, honestly the Devinci looks like what a Trek an aluminum Trek Fuel 90 back in 2002, very boring by todays standards.
    Bare Knuckle Brigade

Killing Dreams One At A Time

mtbr member
    ive been riding a EX9 for the past 8 months and love it, im just about to pass her on unfortunately - ive got no clue what ill replace her with, maybe another fuel (and if not certainly not because of the ride quality) i might go for a GF superfly or a super light custom spec'd trek 9.8

id have no problems recommending the trek, ive sold and serviced several along with my own personal experiences with mine - trek have got this right!

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by fanghasyou
    In my opinion, honestly the Devinci looks like what a Trek an aluminum Trek Fuel 90 back in 2002, very boring by todays standards.
    Personally, I am happy with boring looking bikes, as long as they function well. IMO the new top fuel looks ugly.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I would go with the Moonracer.

Both are great bikes but I would stay away from the carbon frame. Trek has had a lot of problems with their carbon frames over the past couple of years (I know more than one racer who broke four or more carbon Fuels in the 07 season). They seem to have addressed some of the issues but I would still be careful. Also if you are in Canada, you get the horst link with Moonracer. Plus most canadian's are scared of carbon frames and wouldn't buy a used carbon frame bike.

Metalheadbikerider

I was gonna say the opposite....

that Trek looks super sexy...
    Yes, the longer wheelbase will be steadier descending technical stuff, but not as snappy when you put the power to the pedals. I went to a longer wheelbase on my XC rig (a Kona King which I ride on race day and on epic technical rides) and it made a lot of difference when hitting technical rides.
    Also, how much work will it be to have your bike looked at if something is wrong. Can you bring the Davinci to an LBS? Or will it need to be shipped? Just another factor to consider since it is a FS that may require some work. How much are rebuild kits for each one? Another factor to consider. Can you replace the bearings, etc on the Davinci yourself? Or will you need to ship it? The Trek can most likely be done at an LBS pretty quickly, and the parts are probably on hand.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

I like to ride my bike.
    To respond...
    -LMN, I really value your input, you being who you are and with one of the best mtb'ers in the world. Thanks! You are right about the Trek Fuels breaking. I do feel they have stepped it up this year, but I should have that in the back of my mind.

-free-agent, I work at a Trek dealer. I am in the US and don't work at a Devinci dealer, but I would be able to get one cheap. Devinci seems like a good company, may take a bit longer to get info or parts from, but I think they would be okay. Pivot maintenance shouldn't be bad enough that it would have to be sent back. But, yes, they are in Canada and getting stuff might be a bit more difficult than with Trek.

single~minded, carbon has been proven to have longer fatigue life than alu, which is great, but I would use the bike as a trail bike also (no jumps, just XC rides 2x a week, plus racing) and the places I ride have lots of sharp, pointy rocks. I'm afraid of doing something stupid, like falling over clipped in, with the frame being driven into one of those rocks.

And...to add even more...
    I loved the older generation Cannondale Scalepl, which is somewhat similar to the Devinci in that it had no pivot by the axle (used flex) and had short (2.5") rear travel, the Devinci has 3". Two different brands, but maybe the Devinci would feel similar.

Sorry for the length...
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

mtbr member
    I own a 2007 Top Fuel SL.
    It is my first FS after 10 years of racing 20# hardtails.
    It rides comfortably and has a slack feel. I notice some energy sucking power drain on climbs, but that is mostly due to my typical plush setup of the rear shock. Overall, it handles surprisingly well, descends like a Disney ride, is light, and the carbon frame has bounced off many rocks at my #1 practice area : The Quarries ( as in chunky granite).

mutaullyassuredsuffering

Suspension

Is there any type of pivot back there? The Moonracer's suspension looks like the older Trek as said above. That sus was never very well rated or liked. The lack of a pivot really hurts the performance of that design. With a FS bike, that is the greatest influencing factor...the rest can all be manipulated. Also 80mm is not enough travel up front for me on a 26" bike. I wouldn't go with less than 100mm.
    Free will is an illusion, people will always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by used2Bhard
    Also 80mm is not enough travel up front for me on a 26" bike. I wouldn't go with less than 100mm.
    I've been happy with 80mm. It's the most I have ever owned. I've demoed bikes with 100mm and 120mm, and they do give a smoother ride than what I am used to, but overall, I'm pretty happy with 80mm. I'm not opposed to 100mm, but I'm just comfortable with what I got.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Dan Desrochiers, the guy who puts on the Jay Challenge and The Winter Challenge, loves to tell a colorful story about his carbon bike going over an 80' cliff. The essence is that while the wheels taco'd and the bar and seatposts snapped, the frame was intact - albeit with some scratches. He built it back up and it's still going today.

I like to ride my bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by single~minded
    Has anybody tried Trek's new rear axle pivot desigh that is on the EX line?
    I have and I love it. It is the way full suspension should be, very plush but not bad when pedaling.

The Devinci has a 100mm Sid, Trek has a 100mm Sid. Devinci has 75mm in back, Trek has 100mm in the back. I like the idea of less travel for racing...75 vs 100 is no big deal.

I will probably end up with the Devinci, but the Trek is not ruled out. The bikes come out in a few weeks to a month and are made in limited quantities. I don't want them to be sold out by the time I make up my mind.

They are obviously both sweet bikes though and either one will be cushier than a hardtail, which is good.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    This is my first year racing a Trek and I love it. I had both the 9.9 ssl HT and also, a 9.8 Top Fuel. Both bikes are great. The Top Fuel turned into my everything, every race bike. In fact, after June, I didn't even ride the HT again. I did the Trans Rockies on it with out a flaw. I did break an XTR shifter, but that had nothing to do with it being a Trek or not. I have flung it into rocks many times and my frame is in good shape. I don't know about Treks frame history but this years is solid. I have been given Santa Cruz's, & Giant's for the previous few seasons to race and none of them have been close to the Trek in performance and durability. I would buy the Trek. What is a Devinci?
    ATV = fat A$$