Thread: Sore arch

mtbr member

Sore arch

This summer I've started getting a sore arch in my left foot. My right foot does not get this. I've taken a week off and still have the discomfort. I don't feel it on rides, only when walking around the office, but the soreness doesn't go away. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I would visit a physical therapist, take care of it before it becomes long-term. PTs are all about active recovery (in my experience), using stretches and exercises to help areas heal and strengthen.
    I am completely unqualified to diagnose, but I had sore arches a few years ago (coincidentally when I was 45 pounds heavier, hmmm....) I guessed it was 'plantar faciaitis' (sp?), my uncle told me to stand on a tennis ball and roll it under my arch a couple of times a day, that seemed to help. At that time my kids were leaving a lot of small toys and balls around the house, so there was always something handy to roll under my foot.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Also not a therapist or anything, but definitely sounds a bit like plantar fasciitis. I'd try to do something to alleviate it before you start walking funny, which could cause a host of other issues.

I had it in both feet, primarily my right one, in 2011 (in conjunction with other issues, which led to me walking funny, and getting PF). Went to PT 2-3x/week for a few weeks and it didn't help me much. I tried the ice bottle (though cold was causing my initial foot issues, so we did try to steer clear of that) and other foot strengthening techniques.

I wound up being recommended a stretch and sent a youtube video, and did that 2x day until it cleared up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsbeENfBedU

mtbr member
    Great stretches, thanks for the link. I definitely felt it when I did the toe pushups. I used to stretch regularly but have gotten away from it. Judging by the tightness of my calves as well, I definitely need to do it post-ride.