Thread: Some people...

The White Jeff W

Some people...

I volunteered as a course marshall for a local race today. On the second lap a rider crashed and caught a jagged tree stump right in the ribs. Guy was in a lot of pain and having difficulty breathing. Fortunately it happened right in front of a couple medical professionals who stopped to assist him.

I called EMT's and went to meet them. The quickest way to get them to the crash site was on the race course. As I was walking them out to the scene several riders came towards us and would not yield the trail. It was me and 6 EMT's carrying a stretcher and medical equipment. We had to step off the trail into the weeds and wait for them to pass. They all had ridden past the crash scene and were aware of the injured rider.

It pains me that I even have to say this but if you see EMT's carrying medical gear in the woods, assume that they're not out for a hike and let them pass.

Name:  20130908_115721-1.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  27.8 KB
    Last edited by jeffw-13; 09-08-2013 at 04:12 PM.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    That is sad, and hopefully uncommon; not yielding to anyone going to help an injured rider should be a dnf. The last bigger race I did, one of the pros crashed pretty badly in a big and rocky water bar drop (unexpectedly large drop after the water bar bump), ALL the pros after him stopped to assist and make sure he got out ok, he may have been leading because I don't think any pros finished that day. I was trailing near the rear of C1 and when I passed that spot there were about 10 guys making sure he was ok, -I asked if I could do anything but it was well covered and help was on the way. Around here the upper categories are super polite and helpful.

The White Jeff W
    I should add that while we were first assisting him at the scene many riders stopped to see if there was anything they could do. When I went to bring the EMT's down the trail several riders were helping to slowly walk him and his bike closer to the trail head.

He posted this on his facebook page last night

Crashed hard at Brady's Run Month of Mud race today. 3 broken ribs and a liver almost lacerated completely in half. Luckily, the laceration is entirely encapsulated and surgery is not required. A few days in the ICU to make sure all goes well and few more in a regular room. Feeling damn lucky!!

And also this...

Thanks to all the volunteers that helped get me out of the woods and into the ambulance. Double thank you to the ER nurse and doctor that gave up their race finish to attend to me. I did not get their names. Mountain bikers are a special group for sure.
    No moss...