mtbr member

solving problems: treat symptoms vs root cause

Every season I have the next area with a problem to fix. First it was my hamstring tendon. I spent a while with a PT, then did a Wobble Naught fit and that problem has been gone for 5 years. Conclusion: The PT treated the symptoms. The fit solved the problem.

A few years later, I decided to get into racing. My low back really was limiting me. I stretched and started using a foam roll but finally, changed my posture riding (and in general) and my low back got much better.

Now this year, my hip flexor is giving me trouble. I started working with a Chiropractor that does deep tissue massage etc. After my first session with him and lots of stretching, and foam roll, I decided history might be repeating itself. I think it is time to go back and update my fit and hopefully get to the root cause rather than treat the symptoms. (since last fit, purchased new shoes which means new cleat placement; new fork and I am riding 3 bikes instead of just one now)

I won't make it into the fit shop for a few weeks. In the mean time, I am going to do my own deep tissue massage/foam roll and continue stretching. I am looking for exercises that will give me active recovery of my hip flexors, periformis and other muscles in the hip.

There is not much of a question here but I'm curious peoples thoughts.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

Giant Anthem
    Every winter I go through similar issues. It's frustrating. First, my right knee (behind) started hurting. I then adjusted the seat which helped; eventually there was no pain. Then sfter about one month of base the left knee/IT band started to hurt pretty bad. All this time I'm making minor adjustments to the seat to get it dialed in. I seem to go through these same problems every winter when logging hours on the trainer and or road. Once a couple months go by it remedies itself to some extent. I get regular massages, foam roll, stretch, mobility routine weekly so I do think it's a fit issue with me and it's also readjusting to the trainer after mt bike races are over and winter riding kicks in. I have an old mountain bike with slicks that I use for road and trainer rides and the geometry is a bit big which adds to the issue. I have to get a real road bike soon and get fitted or else I think I'll keep going through the same issues!
    Racing and Training Blog
    http://dirtandgears.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    start running barefoot...start very easy

mtbr member
    I did a good chunk of running in november and december. I was working with Chi Running technique which promotes a midfoot strike and relaxed legs which is along the lines of what is necessary for barefoot running. Is your suggestion barefoot running will exercise or loosen the hip muscles?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I thought it might be good for all around...please don't read too deep into my recommendation

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mx_599
    I thought it might be good for all around...please don't read too deep into my recommendation

no worries. just curious if there was something interesting to try there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I've read that tight hip flexors are associated with desk jobs. Matt Fitzgerald recommends stretching the hip flexors regularly.

Barefoot running : 2010 :: yoga : 2006

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by AlliKat
    no worries. just curious if there was something interesting to try there.
    I just got barefoot wild hair up my arse and recommended it blindly as the next best thing since sliced bread in like 3 different mtbr threads all within 20 minutes of each other.

mtbr member
    yes, I have a desk job. Could be an interesting experiment to setup my desk to work standing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    hip flexor seems odd, do you put a lot of might into your up pedal stroke? or were you doing any strenuous climbing recently?

mtbr member
    I've been doing high volume, low intensity. I have been doing weights too but the weights don't seem to agrivate. I think it is actually the entirety of my hip region that is problematic. I don't think I do an excessive upstroke. By comparison, in the summer when riding hard on the single speed, I do find myself using the upstroke on steeper climbs.

mtbr member
    Update: (lunges with weights may be solution)

I know in the initial post, I said I was going for an updated bike fit. But, my little brain is always turning. I couldn't quite convince myself this was a fit problem.

I did reset my cleat position. I re-measured and placed my cleats under the same mark on my foot bed. It came out about 7mm movement forward compared with measuring from the heel of my shoe. I feel my foot is consistently placed in my footbed but finding an exact same reference point on the heel of two completely different shoes is questionable. A few rides with the cleat adjustment did feel more efficient but didn't seem to change my hip pain/tightness.

I have been trying to find stretches in the quad, hip flexor, and groin that would loosen things. I kept finding myself in a lunge position and feeling stretching in the affected areas. I started working up some weight work with lunges and finally last night, my hip pain was down about 50%. Crossing my fingers I am onto something.

Why would this be a root cause? My explanations are that the muscles that were tight are exercised by a lunge. I have stretched these muscles but I find muscles not worked through full range of motion may not loosen from stretching. (I found same thing with low back. Roman chair with full range of motion is making a world of difference)

I also suspect there is some muscle imbalance because I am doing squats, leg presses, leg curls but the muscles worked in a lunge were ignored and are unable to balance against the quads and other muscles.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Hey,
    Similar but not exact issue with me.

Pyriformis on foam roller hurts so good! Cross one leg over the other so that the ankle rests on the thigh above the knee (like you're sitting in a chair). Then roll the gluteal area of the leg that's crossed getting into the pyriformis.

Hip Flexor: lie on the edge of desk or bed and just hang one leg off and let gravity do its thing, 90-120 seconds.

These are from my PT regimen.
    Last edited by NC2WA; 02-26-2010 at 01:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    got a question for you guys...

I got a foam roller too.

However, have any of you actually seen a study that supports any of the claims?

just wondering

mtbr member
    look under massage. I see it as self massage. I think it is addressing muscle knots and facia damage.

Study or not, it works for me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by AlliKat
    look under massage. I see it as self massage. I think it is addressing muscle knots and facia damage.

Study or not, it works for me.
    last I knew, massage wasn't shown to provide the benefits of claim. this was about 7 yrs ago...has anything changed?

Gigantic Hawk
    I recently had my hip flexor turned back 'on' by my sports chiro. I was having issues with my lower back (ql,) and what he discovered was that my right hip flexor had shut itself off (stopped working.) This is typical with long periods of sitting. I drive for a living which was one of the roots of my problem. I now try to get up, and stretch as often as possible.

As for exercising your legs, equality is needed to prevent further issues. Hip and knee issues arise when one muscle group is greatly stronger than the others. The quads can be (and generally are) stronger than the hamstrings, but try to keep them around only 20% stronger for balance. Larger differences pull joints out of wack. Overly strong abs can also pull your legs up into their sockets.

My gf does many tri's. She is also a certified massage therapist. She uses a foam roller often to help with shin issues, and to help push buildup out of your muscles. I don't know if it works, but she claims it does.

mtbr member
    I have a long passed due diagnosis on this. It is late at night so I'll post details tomorrow. The diagnosis is femoral acetabular impingement. And, it includes a labral tear.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Not sure about the labial tear thingvy, but maybe it is age? and it could also be overuse. Like before, change your position enough to see some differences. Doctors are loving your cash. Take it back and buy some bike $hit. Does it differ when you are on different bikes?
    ATV = fat A$$

mtbr member
    I posed this quite a while ago. Here is a writeup with more details. I've had diagnosis including X-ray and MRI. Since then have had repair performed and am going through recovery.

Femoral Acetabular Impingement Endurance Racing and Training

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hey Guys,
    Sorry I haven't read this whole thread but a little known profession of interest is Athletic Therapy.
    While they sound like PT's and sometimes work out of the same office's are very different people.
    Their goals are to treat the issue and not what hurts.

EX.
    For about 10 years I had problems with breathing doing anything athletic and after a couple doctors I was told I had small lung capacity. So I yielded and learned to live with it.
    Well my Girlfriend's sister is an Athletic therapist and decided to treat me one day. She did some work with my organs by releasing the tension in my diaphragm, and other organs. During this session she established that my liver was sitting 2" to high and was in shock, after relaxing it and my body going into cleansing mode cleaning out the toxins from my Liver I had full lung capacity. The Liver issue was caused by a car accident I was in 10 years ago, being the driver the seatbelt pulled at my liver putting it into shock and it never released.

EX 2
    For the past 3 months when I would go for 2 hour rides or work out my legs with weights, my quads in my left leg would seize i would have to stretch it out.
    After seeing her for another session, she established that my Pelvis had rotated from most likely a fall. After some manipulation on my muscles and nerves she had rotated it back into position and taught me exercises to help protect from such injuries.

I believe there are alot of great practices out there, but I will stand behind the work of the Athletic Therapists for their work.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by AlliKat View Post
    yes, I have a desk job. Could be an interesting experiment to setup my desk to work standing.
    I sit a lot for work both in the office and my car. I got a stand for my desk so I could stand more and it had been amazing. So much less back and hip flexor issues. I highly recommend it if you have to sit all day.

mtbr member
    The athletic therapist skill set sounds interesting. Something crossing PT, chiropractor and homeopath/osteopath. When all your main systems are functioning (no broken bones, deteriorating joints) that could identify areas to pick up big gains.