mtbr member

Softtails and short-travel frames

Are there any 26" softtail frames that are reasonably priced (under $1000). Or, are there any frames that are 3" travel or less?

I like the old scalpels a lot, not the new ones as much, but they are very pricey for new. And if I'm dropping big money for a frame, a warranty is a must.

KHS doesnt seem to make their team ST anymore.

Most of the softtails out there are Ti and super expensive.

Salsa Dos niner seems nice, but I'm not interested in 29ers, yet.

The salsa moto rapido has great reviews, but I prefer a little more cush.

The only thing I see appealing is Castellano Fango. Not sure about their warranties though.

mtbr member
    Soft tails are great. I have a Dos Niner, and even though you are not interested in a 29er, it has been a fantastic bike and I am really happy with it. I have only had it for a short period of time as it is a crash replacement for my Mamasita. I have done one endurance race 50mi and a couple of xc races and I am so thankful for the little bit of give in the back. With the 29er format it really gives you the comfort factor of a 4in travel fs bike. If you do go the 29 route this is a great bike for a pretty good price. Mine is a XL and weights only 25 lbs with pretty normal parts.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by darth tracer
    Soft tails are great. I have a Dos Niner, and even though you are not interested in a 29er, it has been a fantastic bike and I am really happy with it.....With the 29er format it really gives you the comfort factor of a 4in travel fs bike.
    I'm going to call balderdash on that statement whether you were serious or not. A Dos with the 1" travel Relish Shock being the same comfort as a 4" travel FS bike?

It simply isn't so. The better "quote" for the Dos is "it's a hardtail with privileges". Maybe if you loaded it up with a 100mm front shock and tosssed a Thudbuster on the rear to couple with the 1" Relish with some big squish tires run tubeless at a low pressure you could start to think that it felt like a longer travel bike. Otherwise, it's a hardtail that takes a bit of the edge off. I've got one too and love it, but call it what it is. I've also got a 3", a 4" and a 4.75" FS bike to compare to the Dos.

BB

mtbr member
    Perhaps I have forgotten the feel of a 26er 4in FS bike as I have been on the 29er format for the last 3 years. I have also gotten a lot more fit since then. But with 29in wheels, a good volume tire and the relish it is really pretty forgiving. WIll you mash a descent with the same abandon, probably not, but over the long haul with all of the climbing benefits of a hardtail, the 29er wheels on the flats and a little give on the way down, you can see where you could draw that comparison of being less fatigued over a long day. Also if set up with decent parts the 29er is probably lighter. Efficientcy=fast.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by darth tracer
    Soft tails are great. I have a Dos Niner, and even though you are not interested in a 29er, it has been a fantastic bike and I am really happy with it. I have only had it for a short period of time as it is a crash replacement for my Mamasita.
    So how would you compare the mamasita to the dos? because mamsita is just the 29 version of moto rapido.

I'm not interested in descending or cushy comfort. I just want enough suspension to keep my rear wheel tracking the ground when I'm pedaling over roots (flats or climbs). Everyone tells me I ride my suspension insanely stiff, but that gives me the traction I need with descent acceleration and minimal bobbing. And now a mechanic tells me that is likely the reason for my second fs frame cracking.
    So if I could get an inch or so of travel, with a few less pivots and a little less weight, that would be ideal.

I never thought about a susp seatpost to keep the rear wheel grounded, but maybe staying seated and pedaling over roots would do it?? Although, I like to climb in the saddle a bit too, so not sure if there would be a pogoing issue or not.

mtbr member
    Both bikes ride pretty similarly in terms of how they track. The dos just offers privileges when making line choices and takes the edge off over the long haul. The Mama was a compliant bike, and this bike is just a little more. If you are always running your suspension really firm this might be a great choice for you. I always ran my suspension really stiff and that is why i went hardtail. I think this bike can bridge the gap for you in terms of what you might be looking for.