Brant-C.

soar foot numb toes...pain too

I did a 2 hour road ride on my road bike last week. I use shimano SPDs and shimano shoes (the shoes are probly 15 years old).

First my foot went numb about an hour into the ride and then my toes began hurting.

Will new shoes help with this?

I stand and stretch on the bike every fifteen minutes and pedal standing/sitting on climbs to help blood circulation but it doesn't seem to help. One hour rides are fine and two hour rides begin to numb fingers and toes.

I loosened the straps on the shoes so they weren't tight after the first hour. Obviously it didn't help.

Also got numb hands. I've setup the bike so my seat/arm/leg position are comfy...thinking about getting those Specialized gloves.

When I ride for two or more hours off-road I don't have these problems. I'm sure it's because we tend to move around a lot more doing off-road.

Thanks!
    I just like riding my mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaronongan
    I did a 2 hour road ride on my road bike last week. I use shimano SPDs and shimano shoes (the shoes are probly 15 years old).

First my foot went numb about an hour into the ride and then my toes began hurting.

Will new shoes help with this?

I stand and stretch on the bike every fifteen minutes and pedal standing/sitting on climbs to help blood circulation but it doesn't seem to help. One hour rides are fine and two hour rides begin to numb fingers and toes.

I loosened the straps on the shoes so they weren't tight after the first hour. Obviously it didn't help.

Also got numb hands. I've setup the bike so my seat/arm/leg position are comfy...thinking about getting those Specialized gloves.

When I ride for two or more hours off-road I don't have these problems. I'm sure it's because we tend to move around a lot more doing off-road.

Thanks!

I had the same problem, you need new shoes.
    The tow box area on my shoes were too small, it creeps up on you, as I didn't have this problem with the same shoes for at least a few months. I bought new shoes and dont put them on that tight- no problems. Coulde be they are so old they don't offer the support necessary or you foot has swelled slightly.

Thanks

Brant-C.
    Any suggestions on shoes? :-) Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Any suggestions on shoes? :-) Thanks!
    I currently use Specialized shoes, not sure of the model, buty they are the ones with three velcro straps - I don't like buckles. I really like these shoes!!!

No toe numbness!!! You need to try on a pair to be sure they fit your foot.

Brant-C.
    I did a two hour ride yesterday and used clips with New Balance sneakers. My foot got numb after the first hour but was able to wiggle my toes to get the blood flowing again. This time my foot didn't hurt.

Looks like new shoes...

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I did a two hour ride yesterday and used clips with New Balance sneakers. My foot got numb after the first hour but was able to wiggle my toes to get the blood flowing again. This time my foot didn't hurt.

Looks like new shoes...

Thanks!

I would suggest a stiffer shoe as opposed to the less aggressive type. The stiffer show will spread the pedal pressure out.

Two hours on clips with sneakers!!! I'm not surprised you foot went numb.

pain free feet is a good thing, I know how you feel!!!