Sweep the leg!

So am I biting off too much for my 2nd year back?

Back in the day when I was 30# lighter and 15 years younger I wouldn't fret about a schedule like this...

2007 Race Schedule

April 21- Platteville XC TT (2 laps ~1 hr 15min) Training race
    April 29- Dacorah XC TT's (9 miles ~50min)Training race
    May 6- WORS #1 Iola (20 miles)Result matters
    May 20- WORS #2 Lake Geneva (20 miles)Training race
    June 3- WORS #3 Nine Mile Forest, Wausau (37 miles)Result matters & get familiar for 24hr in July
    June 9- 12 hours of John Muir, La GrangeTraining race
    June 17- WORS #4 Phillips (20 miles)Training race
    Jun 23- '07 WI SS Championship, La Crosse (24 mile XC race)Result matters
    July 1- WORS #5 Eau Claire (24 miles)Result matters
    July 7- 12 hours of Blue MoundTraining race
    July 15- WORS #6 Suamico (40 miles)Training race
    July 28 & 29- 24 hrs of 9 Mile (NORBA Nat'l Championship)Result matters
    August 5- WORS #7 Crystal Ridge, Franklin (20 miles)Recovery race
    August 11- Ore to Shore (48 miles)If I do it, Training race
    August 18- WORS #8 Nordic MTN, MT Morris (20 miles)Result matters
    August 26- WORS #9 Rhinelander (42 miles)Training race
    Sept 9- WORS #10 Kewaskum (20 miles)Result matters
    Sept 23- WORS #11 Iola (20 miles)Don't know???
    Oct 7- WORS #12 Sheboygan (20 miles I think)Don't know???

I know I have a month before the first race but by the end of July I think I'll be hating anything with pedals. This year will be my 2'nd season back since 1995, yeah at 42 I should be old enough to know what the heck I'm doing but I would take any good advice that will help me have a fun season. I'll be racing Comp in WORS, I guess that's the same as Expert in NORBA, which I think I'm only doing the one NORBA race. Go figure I pick a 24hr meatgrinder for that.

As for the WORS, for the series standings my 8 best races figure in the points. Last year I skipped 3 races and still happy.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Caffeine Powered; 03-24-2007 at 03:01 PM.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    That's a pretty hefty schedule
    It won't be the racing that could ultimately cause you trouble though. With that amount of racing and constant effort, you need to make sure you do everything you possibly can to recover.

If you are looking for consistency; it may be tough to come by. If you have a specific race I'd suggest training thru some of these events and sacrificing a result here or there to reach your goal

mtbr member
    Honestly, I don't see the point in racing that much. Do you have any A races in that schedule that you are gunning for? or are you shooting for a series points total?

Typically a season is planned around "A" races and "B" races, where you are Peaking for the "A's". The C races are used as tune-ups to iron out wrinkles or work on some specific weaknesses. If you've got the cash and the time, and don't want to peak for a specific race, then go for it.

I think however, that you would be better served by focusing on some key races, and train properly the rest of the time - working on strength, force, endurance, etc...

Sweep the leg!
    Good point Overkill. I'm sure I could adjust as the season proceeds but the colored suffixes kind of make more sense of the season.

All last year I trained very little and wore my heart rate monitor every race. By the end of the season I was more fit but felt as though I'd wasted a lot of effort and had nothing to be "proud" of other than being in 2nd - 5th in the points most of the series.

I dunno. Maybe I'm seeing the red mist.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    Now that makes things a little clearer. I'd still pick one or 2 "A" races. "A" races you can build a season around and train specifically for the demands of that race. The other races you would like to do well in; "B" races, you can reduce volume for that training week to get the results, while still moving forward and working toward your "A" race

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What's a "Recovery Race" mean?

2 kinds of races in my book.
    -Result is priority
    -Training is a priority, results non-issue.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Looks tough

Looks like a lot of racing. That being said my schedule looks very full too. It's tough planning a for sure 8 or 9 races with wors then others that you want to do too. I'm going to try to take a break in July or August. Finish strong with the Wors going into the Fat 40. Honestly the part I hate the most is the traveling. I'd say go for it chances are there will be some other factors that may come into play for a couple of those races, but why not have them there on the planner train for them and let the chips fall where they may. I was cooked at the end of last year but you know if I was racing I'd be riding a trail somewhere why not at the race. Good luck see you there.

MTB B'dos

I think so.

Sorry I'm no racer, or at least only road right now and 1 off-road and I'd say that's a lot of races, especially if you have a very tough race and perhaps cramps, a crash etc. I'd say for sure drop a the race in June after the 12 hour race to give yourself a rest after that effort and then drop that "recovery race" - there's no such thing- after the 24 hour race and definitely consider dropping maybe one more later on and finish up the season strong. That's a lot of riding and staying healthy is going to be the key, so getting some rest/recovery time in there is going to be a very major factor.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

Sweep the leg!
    For me a "recovery race" is one where I just go with an easy rhythm and not push too hard. Kind of like if you've had everything go wrong in a race- flats, chain break or whatever, and you just want to finish so you don't have 0 points or a DNF. But definately faster than "death march" pace.

Also, I don't have any opportunities for trail time Monday thru Friday without driving 45- 90 minutes. That's 45-90 minutes of saddle time I'd be missing. All my training is on the road so to have an event that won't matter but will give me some trail time is worth paying the entry fee.

mtbr member
    I couldn't imagine using any race as "recovery." I'd just get caught up in the excitement. Like the others have said, build your season around your A races and do the others as your mood and body dictate.
    You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    See you at plateville caffeine and many wors, wems and races to come.
    Bare Knuckle Brigade

Killing Dreams One At A Time

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I am going to be doing a few wors races myself. For sure the June third event as I only live 10 minutes away and rhinelander event. I am not sure if that is even healthy to race that many times haha. Your racing every 5-6 days. Thats one race a week and figure recovery time into that you won't have anytime to get any real good training days in.

mtbr member
    There is no such thing as too many races in my view. When you live in the midwest sometimes the races are your best chance to ride some sweet new singletrack.

So why not just go to the race and have a good ride, even if you're not out to get top results? Race to ride, not vice versa.

So I say go for it dude, that schedule looks fun.

I'll see you in Decorah on 4-29, that is one sweet trail...

Members who have read this thread: 0