mtbr member
    Feb 2013

smoother ride from carbon bars?

I have an '07 Kona Kula dlx 29er hardtail, with a Fox f29rl. I don't have a budget for a new race bike for next season but that's fine, overall I really like the current bike. I did add a carbon seatpost over the summer to smooth out the back end a little bit, I found a newer Bontrager post and it seems to work fine, I notice quite a big of good flex. I've still got the stock aluminum bar and stem on there. Since it looks like good carbon bars are so affordable (like Easton EC70s for about $50-$60) I should probably upgrade the bars, and maybe the stem too. Weight savings would be an added bonus. I imagine most of you use carbon bars and switched from aluminum at some point? Did you notice a smoother ride at all with carbon bars? I'm a fairly experienced rider/racer, racing c1, for the longer races a small increase in smooth ride makes a difference I would think. I don't do jumps or dh. I'm asking here because I think the racers might have more of the type of experienced opinions I'm looking for.

mtbr member
    I like them. They do flex more. My niner brand are more flexible than Truvativ and my race face brand. I like a little flex.

mtbr member

Have a look at this thread on the subject of carbon fibre components and comfort.

Carbon 'bars and seat post for dampening.

With a mountain bike suspension fork it's really hard to tell exactly what additional comfort comes from something like carbon bars.

I like the Ritchey Logic 10d carbon bars, not because they're carbon fibre so much but because of the shape and backsweep. The 10 degree backsweep works well for me.

http://ritcheylogic.com/mountain/bar...ntain-bar.html

mtbr member

Continuing my quest for a bit more comfort I've switched my Thomson Elite seatpost out for a Ritchey WCS Flexlogic carbon seatpost

The Ritchey seatpost is designed to flex fore and aft as you ride. The idea being that it adds some damping and reduces "buzz" from the road surface.

http://ritcheylogic.com/cross/seatpo...-seatpost.html

I've put it together with Tackx carbon assembly paste and also half of a KCNC SC13 seat clamp for additional security to try and make sure that the carbon post won't slip down in the frame. It seemed solid and quite a tight fit without but as I'd got it I fitted it anyway.

http://clee-cycles.co.uk/esite/P3103/product

I haven't tried riding it yet as I only fitted them this afternoon.

I don't know how much of a difference it will make. When you grab the saddle and rock it by hand you can visibly see the seatpost flexing though, which my old one never did, so it could be quite noticeable.

mtbr member

Like the cannondale SAVE post

Quote Originally Posted by WR304 View Post
    Continuing my quest for a bit more comfort I've switched my Thomson Elite seatpost out for a Ritchey WCS Flexlogic carbon seatpost

The Ritchey seatpost is designed to flex fore and aft as you ride. The idea being that it adds some damping and reduces "buzz" from the road surface.

WCS Carbon Flexlogic Link Post

I've put it together with Tackx carbon assembly paste and also half of a KCNC SC13 seat clamp for additional security to try and make sure that the carbon post won't slip down in the frame. It seemed solid and quite a tight fit without but as I'd got it I fitted it anyway.

Product KCNC SC13 Twin Seat Clamp

I haven't tried riding it yet as I only fitted them this afternoon.

I don't know how much of a difference it will make. When you grab the saddle and rock it by hand you can visibly see the seatpost flexing though, which my old one never did, so it could be quite noticeable.
    The SAVE carbon post has an amazing amount of flex. Really takes the edge off square edge hits

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by stevemtu View Post
    The SAVE carbon post has an amazing amount of flex. Really takes the edge off square edge hits
    I did look into a Cannondale SAVE carbon seatpost but I needed a 30.9mm diameter seatpost. The SAVE carbon seatpost only appears to come in a 27.2mm diameter so it's limited in the frames it will fit.

The SAVE carbon seatpost, with its oval mid section, is supposed to have as much as 20mm of fore aft movement. Apparently it can move so much that it can give a bouncing sensation when pedalling?

Cannondale Save seat post vs normal carbon seatpost

mtbr member

SAVE post pedal bounce

Quote Originally Posted by WR304 View Post
    I did look into a Cannondale SAVE carbon seatpost but I needed a 30.9mm diameter seatpost. The SAVE carbon seatpost only appears to come in a 27.2mm diameter so it's limited in the frames it will fit.

The SAVE carbon seatpost, with its oval mid section, is supposed to have as much as 20mm of fore aft movement. Apparently it can move so much that it can give a bouncing sensation when pedalling?

Cannondale Save seat post vs normal carbon seatpost

I didn't notice the pedal induced bounce on the trails, but was eventually able to induce a slight bouncing at high cadence on the road. i don't think I would put the SAVE post on a road bike, but do use it on my mtb 29er hardtail and also on the 29er hardtail set-up for cyclocross (32mm tires). I'd say that 20 mm displacement could be accurate on hard hits.

I had to use an adapter to fit the SAVE post into my 31.6 seat tube, but does not slip when using a hex bolt tightening system on the seat collar. Slippage is a problem with the lever systems on the collar.

mtbr member

After a four hour ride Sunday and a three hour ride today on the new seatpost I'm cautiously optimistic that's it's helping a little. I previously had a Thomson Elite layback seatpost and Specialized Romin Pro 143mm saddle. Hit two or more small bumps in a row seated and I'd sometimes have to stop pedalling in order to let the pain in my left hip subside.

The difference isn't night and day but I've been able to ride through repeated small bumps ( the sort that the bike's rear suspension tends not to open up for) without quite as much discomfort in my left hip. My left hip isn't feeling quite so battered post ride either, which is a good thing.

I did change the saddle at the same time as the seatpost (for a Specialized Romin Evo Expert gel 143mm saddle with a little more padding than the Romin Pro) which is hopefully helping too.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Long story short: Yes.

The bars will absorb the tiny vibrations that your front fork does not even recognize. On a road bike, they are even more advantageous imo.

Some carbon bars flex more than others. Currently I have Enve brand bars and they flex enough to provide additional dampening imo.

A stout/short handlebar may provide minimal change.