mtbr member

Smart trainer recommednation

Howdy, all three bikes are 1x11 with 10-42 cassette out back. Even my road bike is 1x11. Yeah, I messed up but hey it has goteen me through all of my road rides just fine. Lately I've been kinda getting tight on time. Both the 17' trek top fuel and the 17' cannondale synapse road bike are 148x12 BOOST and my enduro bike is 142x12. I am planning to sell my 1x11 road bike and get a standard 2x front chainring system later on so I can pedal harder on flat roads and downhills. My enduro bike will probably never going on the trainer BUT I would like the option to be there. I'm looking for a smart trainer so I can run zwift. Would the wahoo kicker with the 1x11 cassette work? I'd really like a direct drive trainer but I wouldn't mind the cheaper $600ish range like the cycleops magnus. Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    you might consider a used computrainer - which can be had for ~$500 or less if patient. They're bulletproof but (gasp) they have wires. I've squeezed my LES (boost - it's tight but works) in but also had a cheap trainer wheel built up with a road hoop so I can pump the tire up to 100#. The shifting isn't perfect but I dont' really shift that much (erg mode).

To use one of the double sided trainers you'll need a special axle - a few different options if ya google "Trainer axle boost" I think mine is from Kurt but that might be the old one.

also, for the direct drive stuff you don't need an xd driver/sram cassette but you may need to adjust your rear derailleur.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by slimphatty View Post
    Howdy, all three bikes are 1x11 with 10-42 cassette out back. Even my road bike is 1x11. Yeah, I messed up but hey it has goteen me through all of my road rides just fine. Lately I've been kinda getting tight on time. Both the 17' trek top fuel and the 17' cannondale synapse road bike are 148x12 BOOST and my enduro bike is 142x12. I am planning to sell my 1x11 road bike and get a standard 2x front chainring system later on so I can pedal harder on flat roads and downhills. My enduro bike will probably never going on the trainer BUT I would like the option to be there. I'm looking for a smart trainer so I can run zwift. Would the wahoo kicker with the 1x11 cassette work? I'd really like a direct drive trainer but I wouldn't mind the cheaper $600ish range like the cycleops magnus. Thanks guys!
    I would recommend my Hammer. Handles all the axle sizes you have. I'd guess the Magnus does the same, but isn't direct drive. I really like the lower noise and not squaring off my tire on a wheel-on trainer. Direct drive trainers are pricey though. For your 1x11 you could put any 11spd cassete on it. Either a cheaper 11-42 SRAM, or even cheaper 11-4x Shimano. Spacing is the same, so no need to worry about changing the freehub body. I'm not sure if the Kicker is boost compatible. I know the Hammer is and it comes with all the adapters.

Side note: Zwift has been great for my training.
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I would recommend the Wahoo KICKR 2017 with the 11sp cassette, but I don't think there is a BOOST converter. There is for the 142mm, which runs ~$30 if my memory serves me correctly. Consensus from the TrainerRoad folks seems to be that the Wahoo KICKR 2 (2017) is the best of the smart trainers running in erg mode.

I haven't spent much time with Zwift--although I do have a subscription--but I am really liking the TrainerRoad software running on my iPhone. The structured training has been awesome for my overall fitness, and I am definitely getting faster and stronger on the MTB--I don't run road.

Good luck, and if you go the KICKR route, let me know if you find a BOOST converter....

mtbr member
    I'd love to get the kickr. I'm going to give wahoo a call and see what's up. The hammer is an option. I'm not stuck on brands and I would prefer the direct drive so I don't wear down my tires and just for that solid feeling you get of good gear.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I bought a hammer and it was absolutely awful. disconnected all the time. called their support and they basically just said they are still working out kinks since its new. got rid of it as quick as i could.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbadwrench View Post
    I bought a hammer and it was absolutely awful. disconnected all the time. called their support and they basically just said they are still working out kinks since its new. got rid of it as quick as i could.
    I had some issues at first, but it's been great since the last firmware update. That seems to be the consensus online now as well.
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by L84Beer View Post
    I would recommend the Wahoo KICKR 2017 with the 11sp cassette, but I don't think there is a BOOST converter. There is for the 142mm, which runs ~$30 if my memory serves me correctly. Consensus from the TrainerRoad folks seems to be that the Wahoo KICKR 2 (2017) is the best of the smart trainers running in erg mode.

I haven't spent much time with Zwift--although I do have a subscription--but I am really liking the TrainerRoad software running on my iPhone. The structured training has been awesome for my overall fitness, and I am definitely getting faster and stronger on the MTB--I don't run road.

Good luck, and if you go the KICKR route, let me know if you find a BOOST converter....
    Keep in mind that Zwift has structured training now too with it's Workout mode, so it's like the best of both worlds.
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbadwrench View Post
    Haven't had a single such issue with my Hammer but I got it in December so maybe a newer firmware fixed it? My ant+ receiver is about 9' away. The only thing I don't like is something most people would never notice is the power supply has some coil whine. I plan on replacing the power supply but it's annoying on a top of the line product.

Overall it's fairly quiet (erg mode makes it even quieter, you can just stay in a real easy gear so your "speed" is low and at lower speeds it's quieter, not much point in going "faster" in erg mode as far as I can tell). It's so quiet it actually helped me tune my drivetrain to perfection because I could hear the chain wasn't 100% happy under load unlike in the bike stand or with wind noise outside. Carried over to the wheel too!

Swapping the end caps is easy but does require a wrench. Most through axles can't rotate the whole way because the handle hits he body.

Direct drive is really nice. I used a non direct drive again briefly after getting used to the hammer, and while they work fine, it's just not as nice as the direct drive. The hammer has been out for over a year, I bet you can find a used one.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the responses. If anyone has more advice to chime in on. Don't hesitate to comment. I'll be calling wahoo today.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Another Hammer user here. Has been bullet proof since I got it. I use mine on TrainerRoad. No issues except when I first got it, it had a lot of variability in erg mode. Firmware update fixed that. I've barely used it with Zwift so no help on that front except to say it worked with out issue. Being able to use it with any axle standard is excellent as well.

mtbr member
    The current kickr is not boost compatible. From talking to the guy on the other line I inferred that they will be releasing a new product that will make boost bikes compatible. He said this will be happening in the next few months. I'm guessing by december. To wait or to go hammer is the question

mtbr member
    I have the Magnus and really am pleased with it especially since it was under $500 after their 20% discount if you trade in old trainer. My old one was falling apart so I took the opportunity to upgrade.
    I run this on zwift and it's really cool with their structured workouts. I'm at the tail end of their 10-12 week FTP builder training and it has worked really well. Occasionally it will lose power meter connection for a split second but it may be an ANT+ or my internet issue.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I've been happy with my Kickr snap. But, I have a road bike to toss on it. I think it should work with a Boost MTB though, assuming yu have an axle that will interface with the trainer.