mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Small Block 8 Sizes?

Hello all,

I'm a recent convert to tubeless and need to get some new racing tires. I initially went to Maxxis High Rollers for some technical fun rides and now I need to convert to something faster. Last year I used small block 8s front and rear and I was really pretty happy with them, now I need to buy a new set.

My question for the crew is: What front/rear size combination is everyone running?

About me:
    I race off road triathlon on a full suspension bike. Terrain is mostly mountain pack with some occasional loose rock/trail. Rocks are common, roots are rare (Utah/Colorado mountains). 6'3" 170 lbs. My strength is technical riding and descending. I'm not so much of a climber in comparison to the standard XC racer. I'm a middle of the pack swimmer and generally make up a lot of position on the bike so I like quick accelerations to pass but overall speed/efficiency is key for me.

Thanks for the advice!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'd buy Schwalbe or Continental tires before I would ride Kenda tires for free. If you want a fast tire look at the Conti Race King 2.2 Supersonic. The Schwalbe Racing Ralph and Rocket Ron 2.2 are good tires as well. All test much better for rolling resistance (less wattage) than a Kenda SB8.

I'd rather be riding
    I ran small blocks in 2.35/2.1 f/r on my hardtail at the start of this season. I thought the tire sizes were perfect but I was less than happy with performance on wet roots here in the midatlantic. Went with bonty xr2's in the same sizes, same weight, more traction and still very low rolling resistance. I'm happy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MessagefromTate View Post
    I'd buy Schwalbe or Continental tires before I would ride Kenda tires for free. If you want a fast tire look at the Conti Race King 2.2 Supersonic. The Schwalbe Racing Ralph and Rocket Ron 2.2 are good tires as well. All test much better for rolling resistance (less wattage) than a Kenda SB8.

---------------

Thanks for the info. Just out of curiosity, where did your testing info come from? That would be some valuable information...Just the kind of stuff I find lurking here!

I'm totally open to other tires. Are you doing same size F/B?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'll broaden it more generally... overall what size tires are the XC racers out there running in the front and back?

mtbr member
    I run small block 8's on my race bike in the 2.1 width f/r and have been very happy with the tires.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rupps5 View Post
    I run small block 8's on my race bike in the 2.1 width f/r and have been very happy with the tires.
    Thanks. That's what I was leaning toward.