mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Slick Training Tires for MTB Rims

Hi,

PLanning to get a trainer and use my stock Giant rims that came with my 2012 Talon 2 29er. i am not sure what tire i should get in terms of width. I know i should get a either a 622 or 700c tire. widest slick tire I found is a 700cX23 Duro. Will that work?

Can anybody help out a wayward soul?

Formerly of Kent
    Plenty of 700x25, 28, 32, 35, even 38mm tires out there. Look harder. 622mm = 700c = 29er, in terms of rims.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    hopefully i can get wider slicks..not too many wide slicks sold where I'm at...

MTB B'dos
    You're on this site, so that means you can get online, so why not try looking at some online shops for options I run 28mm and 38mm slick and semi slicks, work very well. The 38mm helps maintain a higher gearing closer to what you're accustomed to with 29er knobbies, but the 28mm will normally be lighter and roll faster/better if you're actually using them on the road. Another thing to note is don't look at too expensive tyres if you'll only be using them strictly on a trainer, trainers tend to quickly eat tyres down.
    Quote Originally Posted by bosbik View Post
    hopefully i can get wider slicks..not too many wide slicks sold where I'm at...
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    I put a bontrager r1 tire on my superfly for winter turbo training. I chose this tire because it comes in 700c x 32mm. fits perfectly and is definitely wide enough! Paired with a cycleops jetfluid pro it is pretty darn quiet(i live in apartment complex on 2nd floor). Tire is roughly 30 bucks. Get a proper tube while your there as well

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    thanks guys! Unfortunately getting a tire online will cost a fortune in shipping and taxes..even more that double the price of the tire itself..

i may resort to clipping off the knobs of an old SB8 and probably grind down to smoothen it out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Unless you live in some unusual remote backwater you should be able to find some slicks pretty damn easy. As for shipping and taxes... uh, yeah.

700c wheel are, like, totally common and you should be able to find one that is suitable for your needs. Trimming off little knobs sounds like a great way to waste several hours, and likely a tire.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    thanks guys! Unfortunately getting a tire online will cost a fortune in shipping and taxes..even more that double the price of the tire itself..

i may resort to clipping off the knobs of an old SB8 and probably grind down to smoothen it out.
    I'll bite

What part of the world are you in?

MTB B'dos
    Curious where you live that you'd have these problems? PH does not help anyone know where you live. Check CRC for tyres, they ship worldwide for around $16 and where I live the local post offices are way more lenient than a courier, actually I normally don't even end up paying any taxes to be honest.

One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Curious where you live that you'd have these problems? PH does not help anyone know where you live. Check CRC for tyres, they ship worldwide for around $16 and where I live the local post offices are way more lenient than a courier, actually I normally don't even end up paying any taxes to be honest.
    This.

Unless I'm buying from a place that has a brick-and-mortar location in my state, I've literally never paid import duty or any form of sales tax. Ordered from the UK, Germany, China, Taiwan, Australia, Switzerland, Italy, France, Canada...

That, and any bike shop worth its salt has access to a QBP, BTI, Hawley, or similar account. They CAN order these things, and no, it should not cost any extra money above the MSRP + sales tax.