mtbr member

Singletrack Traffic

How do you deal with getting stuck behind traffic on singletrack? I seem to end up following at their pace when I know I can go faster.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    It is all about bike skills and how to pass when it is tight.....There are often a lot more lines that can be ridden even in very tight tracks....

The slower rider in front is not "required" to let you by especially when he is following someone else...but you can always ask.

Has skills-will travel
    Jun 2008
    Most of us try to get in front before the singletrack to avoid this issue. Yet, it doesn't work everytime, so typically if you can go faster than the person in front, you can call out a side you intend to pass on and try. This doesn't mean that the person in front needs to slow down at all, nor does it mean they need to move over (especially if you are racing them). It does mean they shouldn't move to the side of the trail you called out (there are specific cases that they will need to move to that side, but typically they shouldn't).
    I find that the Sport guys believe that they are the fastest person on the trail (so they aren't willing to let you pass), where as the Expert and Pro racers will either ask if you want to pass and slow down if you say yes or if you call a side, they will move to the other side of the trail.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    It's probably not the best way but it works for me. Take the inside in a corner and push them up and out. I find that most people will make room once you show them a wheel and let them know you aren't planning on waiting for the trail to open up.

SSOD
    Quote Originally Posted by bmf102 View Post
    It's probably not the best way but it works for me. Take the inside in a corner and push them up and out. I find that most people will make room once you show them a wheel and let them know you aren't planning on waiting for the trail to open up.
    Haha, Nice. From someone who rides ss a lot, just make your own trail and pass off the trail if possible if they won't let you by. I tend to pass uphill to the uphill side of the rider, it makes coming back onto the trail in front of the rider easier.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    It really depends on how far into the race I am.

For the first 15 minutes I am patient, if there is room and I have the legs I will make a pass, otherwise I will follow.

In the middle of the race if I am behind someone and they are holding me up I ask nicely to get by, generally people make will make room and if they don't I tell them stop being lame.

If it is near the end of the race then I have to make the pass and I fully expect them to try and block me.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    traffic on ST is something that I run into at almost every race.

first i try to remember that this person is racing their own race, that they are likely on the edge of their own personal performance envelope (despite the relative velocity difference between us)

taking this into account, i announce my intention to pass. i am then patient to an extent. if i can force a pass that isn't dangerous i will do so. if i cannot i make sure i let the rider(s) know my intention to pass as soon as possible.

sometimes all that flies out the window and i wind up cutting off a switchback or something to pass someone that is stubborn and uncooperative, but that is a very rare situation.

also keep in mind that if it is tough for you to pass someone, you can maybe expect that your chasers will have similar difficulty (providing they haven't already caught you and make the pass at the same time).

in any case it is best to remember that we are doing this for fun. relax and smile! my best race to date was likely due to my attitude and having fun instead of letting the race circumstances get to me psychologically (the conditions were severe)
    My wife's website....
    Allison Mann

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Move up in class if its that big of a problem! LOL Just kidding - Kinda.

I have ran across some that love to pass as soon as they can and then they cant hold the pace and I have to work to find a way around them. Bottom line is if you are the faster racer they "should" let you by. If not - like it was said before, make your own line - get around them safe and leave them behind.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Normally if I call left or right in a strong voice they will move. If they won't give you trail just dog them. I have bumped tires a bunch of times to "knock on the door." Sometimes I just talk about random crap to the point of distraction. At the sport level most of them will make a mistake if I don't let them concentrate on thier lines.
    Tight + Twisty = Tasty
    Earn your turns!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by medic6425 View Post
    Move up in class if its that big of a problem! LOL Just kidding - Kinda.
    moving up doesn't mean you will hit less traffic per se. there are only a few races that i can think of when the Pro field runs on a separate day. other than those few instances (where i would personally get pulled after maybe two laps) all of the upper categories work through the field at one point or another at the races.

the last race we had i think i am pretty sure i lapped quite a few people more than once. though the conditions were nasty and most people were walking...
    My wife's website....
    Allison Mann

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    One thing we should all try to do is educate new racers about etiquette. Slower riders need to cooperate to let faster riders by them. I think one sign of an experienced rider and racer is a guy or gal who has the ability and willingness to slide over just a hair to let a faster rider get by them without having to wait any longer than is absolutely necessary. Most really quality riders only need a few extra inches of trail for just a moment.

I remember letting 3 pros by me when they were lapping me near the end of a 6 hour race. We were in a very tight area and I knew they were back there gaining on me and I thought oh man I'll try to give them room but they are going to get stuck until we are out of this section. I didn't want to be in that position because these guys were locked in a tight race near the end of 6 hours of racing. I moved over just a hair, barely slowing down at all, and all 3 of them scooted right by me without a problem. Their bars were probably inches from mine, it was a rubbing elbows situation, but they were so good it didn't matter. All I had to do was give them the tiny bit of room that was available and not panic.

mtbr member
    I learned this year in my first 8 hour race if you have the bike handling skills and fitness it is super easy to pass somebody. If you are struggling to pass somebody just hang back save the energy and use that on the next hill or double track.
    Rocky Element
    My Attempt at a Blog

mtbr member
    I hate it when the pace is just barely slower than you like, but high enough that you don't want to exert the energy to pass. If they don't offer to let you pass, ride on their ass and touch wheels a few times. Most riders will try to speed up a little, then quickly wear out and slow down, now its easy to pass and drop them.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Our local series typically consists of a number of 4-5ish mile loops. Inevitably, you will find yourself stuck behind slower riders.

Unfortunately, your ability or inability to get around these riders quickly will play a fairly large role in your success that day.

What hurts me is when the person is climbing a steep single track and I am running a 1X9 and have a hard time spinning at their speed. SSers can relate to this too.. Sometimes I have to dismount and run the section to get around them...argh...oh well...

It is what it is... the series is still awesome imo. In a perfect world, we would all only have to deal with those racers in our fields...

Like others have said...just announce you intentions and be ready to capitalize on the opportunity the SECOND they attempt to give you that space.

Often, they are so tired that their bike handling skills have diminished to near zero...as have mine....uh ohh...look out!

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_co2 View Post
    I hate it when the pace is just barely slower than you like, but high enough that you don't want to exert the energy to pass. If they don't offer to let you pass, ride on their ass and touch wheels a few times. Most riders will try to speed up a little, then quickly wear out and slow down, now its easy to pass and drop them.
    Now THAT is hardcore racing.. Nice rob..

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    No matter what you're strategy is, you're always going to run into some of those jerks that just won't let you pass on the single. I personally think everyone should have to sign a knowledge of race etiquette form before they enter a race.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post
    What hurts me is when the person is climbing a steep single track and I am running a 1X9 and have a hard time spinning at their speed. SSers can relate to this too.. Sometimes I have to dismount and run the section to get around them...argh...oh well...
    hate me if you want... but you can't blame anyone but yourself for limiting your gear options.

hope your season is going well!
    My wife's website....
    Allison Mann