mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Single track etiquette

Need some help here. What is the right thing to do... In a race on single trace during a climb, do you let faster guys pass, thus moving over out of the single track, or do they have to get out of the track to pass you? I have no problem letting people pass me, but what is expected?

mtbr member
    .02 if you are racing for the win hold your line, otherwise let the faster rider go around when there is an opening in the trail

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I usually wait till they try to make a move. If they call a pass at a good time, I let them go. If they just up and try to get around me with no warning, I mash harder and make em sit back behind me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    If you've decided to let them pass, tell them which side and let them know when (ex: opening coming up, go around on the right side). Sometimes moving slightly outside of the line will make it faster for the both of you and you have a chance at staying with them. It all depends on the line, but assuming your letting them pass, make it safe for both of you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Let them overlap your tire, then turn into their line when there’s an obstacle.

Drop in?... Anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by slacker607 View Post
    .02 if you are racing for the win hold your line, otherwise let the faster rider go around when there is an opening in the trail
    +1 (in the last few miles, but not before)... for me anyways.

And (I bet), more times that not, it's a racer from another age category. After about 20 or 30 mins, the race is probably pretty strung out by then. It's not likely it will cost you a position... and if it does, you now know what you're dealing with... go get him.

Personally, I never not let someone who calls a pass... pass. It has to be at a good time though. I won't waist energy letting someone pass. Most of the time it's someone from another age group (and likely going for a podium finish). Oh, just for perspective, I can podium too, and am always in the top 5 Cat 2, so I am full on racing the whole time.

If they call it... let 'em through I say.

When I'm looking for the pass, I say "Pass at your convienence" ... and they always let me go pretty soon after. "THX bro, good luck"... and I'm off. But, like I said, in the last few miles, I have to work for the pass much more, as do my fellow racers.

Drop in?... Anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by lassiar View Post
    Let them overlap your tire, then turn into their line when there’s an obstacle.
    That is funny!

mtbr member
    I don't think anybody riding up a hill has moved over to let somebody pass. Hills quickly become conga line. If you are walking up the hill, then of course move off the good line. When I ride SS, sometimes I blast up the "shoulder" past the granny-geared spinner, but I call out "on your [side]" so they are aware.

On the singletrack, it is like above. I say "Can I get by when you get a chance" or something. If there is room or an opening, I may call it out and take it if the person isn't aware. I try to always thank them, tell them good job, keep it or or something, if I can.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks for the replies. Had the race today and everyone pretty much moved over when they would feel the pressure. It was never an issue. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    I let people pass when it's safe to pass. When I pass, I ask to pass whenever they feel safe. If you try to pass without calling it, you will not pass. I've put people into trees just because I had no idea they were trying to pass. I've had people try to pass in areas I didn't feel safe for me so they got an elbow. I'm not going to compromise my line, energy or safety to let somebody pass.

With that said, I rarely have issues passing or letting people pass. There are the occasional jackasses, but rarely.

I have seen a fight break out at the finish line over a passing incident.

mtbr member
    Just have race etiquette! Don't bully, harass or push by other racers when it is not safe.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Re: Single track etiquette

Unless you're ranked or paid, blocking is uncalled for. As for blocking those that didn't clearly call out "passing", two wrongs don't make a right.

Most of the time, you'll do better chasing a faster rider than you would holding them up.

Be considerate, have fun, and win, in that order.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RaythePedaler View Post
    Unless you're ranked or paid, blocking is uncalled for. As for blocking those that didn't clearly call out "passing", two wrongs don't make a right.

Most of the time, you'll do better chasing a faster rider than you would holding them up.

Be considerate, have fun, and win, in that order.
    Excellent advice and I 100% agree!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    That's typically when the burrito action kicks in. Of course, I don't race, so my knowledge is more "theoretical".

Quote Originally Posted by OJack View Post
    Need some help here. What is the right thing to do... In a race on single trace during a climb, do you let faster guys pass, thus moving over out of the single track, or do they have to get out of the track to pass you? I have no problem letting people pass me, but what is expected?

mnoutain bkie rdier
    This thread is nearly 3 years old! Oh and....get a bell for the trails. Just yell rider back or on your left during race.