Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    dmo
    dmo is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    861

    Single speed xc racing frames

    After racing xc for several seasons I thought it would be fun to race single speed. The fields are smaller for one thing and the starts less crazy. My last xc race a guy crashed into me trying to pass.

    Anyway what would be a good frame to build up something light to be a good race bike?

    Les, Honzo, stache, woodsmoke?
    It would need to be a small as I'm 5' 6"

    Thanks

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    922
    I've got my LES set up as a SS and love it. 120mm fork, 27.5 x 2.6 Rekons for some added cush (I'm old), and I can ride it comfortably for hours. I, like you, don't like the XC starts and crazy elbowing, etc when passing. Gonna race some XC and some marathons on it this year. Great bike, great dropout design that's reliable and maintenance-free.
    You can't buy happiness. But you can buy a bike. And that's pretty close.

  3. #3
    Fanny Pack Mafia
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4,924
    Niner Air 9 RDO with EBB. Pivot Les would be good too.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    940

    Single speed xc racing frames

    Each of these will let you run multiple configurations. They are sweet bikes I have ridden.
    Chumba Bicycles Ti frame https://www.chumbausa.com/frames/ste...ium-frame-only

    Seven titanium frame
    Seven Cycles | sola-slx

    My personal pick for Carbon
    Cheapest form:
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/xtc-advanced-29-3
    Get the 27+ form, so you can party in the off season. This could be the bike that is so fun, you never ride any other bike:
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/xt...d-27dot5plus-1
    Last edited by FJSnoozer; 12-29-2017 at 05:25 PM.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brent701's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,280
    Quote Originally Posted by dmo View Post
    After racing xc for several seasons I thought it would be fun to race single speed. The fields are smaller for one thing and the starts less crazy. My last xc race a guy crashed into me trying to pass.

    Anyway what would be a good frame to build up something light to be a good race bike?

    Les, Honzo, stache, woodsmoke?
    It would need to be a small as I'm 5' 6"

    Thanks

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Vassago
    Too Many .

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JoePAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4,530
    I race a singlespeed vassago.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

  7. #7
    LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,915
    Look for a used size small Niner One 9 RDO, or a used Cannondale fsi hi mod and ebb it. Dont drop big money on a ss based frame. Even a chinese ebay with an ebb would be the best. Cheap, and if you dont like racing ss, no huge loss.

    Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk
    Ill be out riding, youll still be trolling mtbr. Mtbr, where people who dont ride come to pretend they do.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    860
    The Giant XTC sliding through axle is very sweet for single speed! It's a great tool for the job.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,187
    I've had a Air9 carbon back when that could be a SS. Then a One9 RDO SS. Both were great. The new Air9 RDO with EBB would be good, if you want new. They come in smaller sizes.

    I still own an older Sir9 setup SS.

    That said, sliding dropout backs have advantages. You don't have to screw with your seat height and position when changing gearing, like you sometimes have to do on the EBB bikes.

  10. #10
    LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,915
    Quote Originally Posted by briscoelab View Post
    I've had a Air9 carbon back when that could be a SS. Then a One9 RDO SS. Both were great. The new Air9 RDO with EBB would be good, if you want new. They come in smaller sizes.

    I still own an older Sir9 setup SS.

    That said, sliding dropout backs have advantages. You don't have to screw with your seat height and position when changing gearing, like you sometimes have to do on the EBB bikes.
    I did the same thing, a9c then one9 rdo. I actually sold my first one9 rdo because of the seat adjusting bs. Then had bikes like an el mariachi, and a titanium Quiring bike with sliders. Then got another one9 rdo recently. The seat change sucks, but not as much as trying to keep the wheel straight with sliders is what i found. The ebb is instant and after a bit i found all my exact spots for each gear and made a notebook. Also, with the ebb you can run a bigger chainring because with an old xt 3x crank ring on outside you can run a 44 in forward position. I always want the biggest chainring and cog i can. I would rather have 40/20 than 32/16. Chainwrap reasons.

    They make the air 9 rdo in xtra small also and i think at 5'6 get the xs because the small is more of a smedium than a true small. The one9 rdo only comes in small and thats what ive heard from riders needing a small. I ride a large with a 90 and my first was an XL with a 75. The xl was insane big, the large is on the bigger side also, which is fine for shorter stem and wide bar setup. So just typing that, maybe you would want a small then tighten it up with a shorter stem. You can find used one 9 rdo frames for 6-700, not much more than a chiner. Dont spend 2 grand on a ss frame, unless you would want the same bike with gears also in case you dont like SS racing.

    Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk
    Ill be out riding, youll still be trolling mtbr. Mtbr, where people who dont ride come to pretend they do.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    135
    It's all personal preference really. A lot of good bikes out there. If you want carbon I'd look at the Pivot Les, Niner air 9 rdo, Ibis tranny, and Giant Xtc.
    I currently race a Niner One 9rdo but it is soon to become my backup bike as I'm now building up a Pivot Les. My Niner has been great. I'm not crazy about the ebb but it has been just fine. Only thing I don't like is the slight changes in geometry when switching cogs. Which means you should also be adjusting the seat/seat height

  12. #12
    LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,915
    Quote Originally Posted by broeli View Post
    It's all personal preference really. A lot of good bikes out there. If you want carbon I'd look at the Pivot Les, Niner air 9 rdo, Ibis tranny, and Giant Xtc.
    I currently race a Niner One 9rdo but it is soon to become my backup bike as I'm now building up a Pivot Les. My Niner has been great. I'm not crazy about the ebb but it has been just fine. Only thing I don't like is the slight changes in geometry when switching cogs. Which means you should also be adjusting the seat/seat height
    The Tranny is also on closeout for a grand but it has a limited amount of adjusting available, its not really meant as a ss slider frame, its more it accommodates SS with the slot frame setup. Had a few people complain they cant run the gears they want just the gears they can.

    Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk
    Ill be out riding, youll still be trolling mtbr. Mtbr, where people who dont ride come to pretend they do.

Similar Threads

  1. Single Speed Specific Frames for Racing
    By ohmygato in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-06-2017, 09:02 PM
  2. To 29 single speed or not to 29 single speed? My first post.
    By Citizen144 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-11-2014, 08:15 PM
  3. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-22-2011, 05:56 AM
  4. Swingin' Single Speed Frames?
    By Stevob in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-22-2011, 02:31 PM
  5. Old Single Speed Frames?
    By Rad Rider 415 in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 02-25-2011, 08:12 PM

Members who have read this thread: 6

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.