The Riddler

Single Speed Only Training

Just got my race bike jacked and can't ride anything but a single speed for probably 6 months. Anybody else do this or have any tips...I've been racing and training for awhile so I don't see why it would be different, but you never know. thanks for any ideas.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Ride lots.

LW Coaching
    Jul 2005
    Yep - ride lots and enjoy :-)

I like to ride my bike.
    Many racers on SS are faster than a majority of the geared folks.
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

mtbr member
    I find that geared training is good for SS racing but I find that if I stick exclusively to SS for a while I suffer when I get back on a geared bike. I think it is that you can stay on the gas with a geared bike and keep the resistance up while the SS allows you to "spin out" and rest on the flats (depending on your gearing). I also hoped that riding a SS would make me a better/faster climber on a geared bike but that wasn't the case. On a geared bike I push hard on the flats and don't have enough gas in the tank to hammer the climbs as if I were on the SS. It doesn't seem like it "while" I am riding but I usually come out faster on my SS.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i think you'll be okay so long as you gear your ss for optimal resistance and focus on trails that don't require you to do an inordinate amount of spinning on flats. that's the key: gearing and the types of trails you ride.

Teen Wolf
    i haven't ridden a geared mtb in over 4 years. have fun with it!!!

mtbr member
    I stopped riding my XC geared bikes a month ago and won't touch them until spring. SS is great power training for this time of the year. Pick your terrain though. That rule that SS have three gears is ture. Sit, Stand, Walk

mtbr member
    I found similar to above; I can hammer on the single speed but then suffer when I'm back on the geared bike. However, I found I can rest in the flats by shifting up 2 gears and stand up for a bit. While standing I can pass a few people.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlliKat
    I found similar to above; I can hammer on the single speed but then suffer when I'm back on the geared bike. However, I found I can rest in the flats by shifting up 2 gears and stand up for a bit. While standing I can pass a few people.
    ++1