Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Signs of a bad coach?

5K views 28 replies 18 participants last post by  Berkeley Mike 
#1 ·
How about when you turn in your time for a set distance timetrial the team does and he says, "You sure about that time?" (complete with scowl)

How about when you come thru for a pull well into the fast group's road ride and he says to you, "You're here?" (My cartoon thought bubble, "Uh, I've been getting fitter and I'm able to hang with you guys now? Jerk.")

The bigger the coach's ego, the more negative "encouragement". You're experience?

#2 ·
These comments can be taken several ways. It is easy to see these as negative but search between your own ears first.

You may not be getting what you think you deserve. Yet you may be nearing a cusp, not passing it yet in your coaches eyes. Changing a coaches view of you takes more than a few episodes of what you see as marques of success. You cannot dictate your reputation. Weeks and weeks, even months of such performance are needed.

Keep your head down, keep focused, and keep up the good work. Use your teammates to keep you motivated. Transition is hard.

#7 ·
Some people really need to prove to others that they can do what they ask. So the negative reinforcement can work for some. But I agree, it's not a long lasting solution. Chances are that coach has too big of an ego or the OP is misinterpreting the comments.

#12 ·
OP the coach sounds like a ****** to me, keep at it and use it for motivation. Any possibility of getting picked up by another team? If not just let your results do your talking when the spring comes around. Or you could always dish it back to him, just because he is a coach doesn't mean he can't be challenged.

#19 ·
maybe he's just got a sense of humor that doesn't match with yours? its hard to say if he's a bad coach from what you've posted.

if i was sick or injured, i'd rather have the doctor with no bedside manner that was the best in his field over a cheerleader feel goodery who doesn't know wtf he's doing.

there's also a huge mental toughness component to being a decent racer. maybe this is your coach's way of checking your head.

#29 · (Edited)
I cannot agree with AZ.

Your profile shows you to be a new rider. There is a lot to learn about being on a team and earning your cred. It comes when it comes, both from the coach an from the team. A few episodes of improvement are just that. Advice here is absent any attempt to understand your position on the team and the team dynamic.

Most responses here are quick to jump on the coach. Remember, all, this is only half the story. You have to earn your way off the bench and win people over. Welcome to life.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.