mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Sick with less than 2 weeks until race. turn 1 week taper into 2?

Figures, I'm sick with less than 2 weeks until my first race. The plan was to ride as much as possible this week and taper next week. As of right now(second day sick) this appears to be a minor cold(some congestion, fatigue, sore throat). Any ideas on how to approach this? Thanks

I'd rather be riding
    I'd rest. You don't want the sickness going any further. Once you feel better do a few tuneup rides.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I had exactly the same situation 2 weeks ago. It was 14 days until the first race of the season and I got fever. It turned out to be type B flu. I rested entire week and resumed light training 6 days before the race. Did 4 days of training total and rested last 2 days before the race.

I still have the cough and semi congested sinuses but during the race i was fine.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Yea, not making the cold worse is my #1 priority, so I am resting. I had the flu in the beginning of Feb- not fun! The cough lasted 3-4 weeks.

mtbr member
    I would work hard to beat the sickness (rest lots, sleep lots, etc.). Depending on severity of sickness, I would keep spinning the pedals but no hard and/or long rides. That might help from detraining too much, while maintaining some muscle memory.

Two reasons to not race: you might get yourself sicker; you are not going to race your best anyway.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    If the cold is just in your head (not chest) you can ride hard through it, anything else you have to rest through it.
    Getting sick prior to a race is just going to happen sometimes, at least you have nearly two weeks. I think you should do an easy spin on the trainer after 2 or 3 day rest and see how you feel, if you feel ok after 2 or 3 days. I think you might be ok, the typical cold is 3 days coming, 3 days here, and 3 days going (per my wise deceased mil), you might feel really good by race day.
    That EmergenC vitamin C drink usually helps me. Also, hot water/tea with honey and lemon juice really seems to help me when I feel like that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Poncharelli View Post
    I would work hard to beat the sickness (rest lots, sleep lots, etc.). Depending on severity of sickness, I would keep spinning the pedals but no hard and/or long rides. That might help from detraining too much, while maintaining some muscle memory.

Two reasons to not race: you might get yourself sicker; you are not going to race your best anyway.
    It's really not bad at the moment. I started feeling it Sunday night after a hard ride earlier in the day, and yesterday I had a physically demanding job that had to get done, so no rest yesterday, and I don't feel any worse today- which is a good sign(I think).

Quote Originally Posted by jimPacNW View Post
    If the cold is just in your head (not chest) you can ride hard through it, anything else you have to rest through it.
    Getting sick prior to a race is just going to happen sometimes, at least you have nearly two weeks. I think you should do an easy spin on the trainer after 2 or 3 day rest and see how you feel, if you feel ok after 2 or 3 days. I think you might be ok, the typical cold is 3 days coming, 3 days here, and 3 days going (per my wise deceased mil), you might feel really good by race day.
    That EmergenC vitamin C drink usually helps me. Also, hot water/tea with honey and lemon juice really seems to help me when I feel like that.
    I'm one of those people who usually ends up sicker if I do hard exercise through even a head cold. I'm loading up on vitamin C and echinacea.
    Tomorrow I may do some easy spinning on the trainer and see how it goes.