Thread: shoe choice

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

shoe choice

currently i have a set of specialized comp shoes. i am looking to upgrade and i am between the expert and pro specialized models. the only difference i can see is the buckle on the pro and a little stiffer on the specialized scale. is it worth the nearly 100 dollars or not? during my xc races walking isn't a problem but when i am trail riding and do some endurance races would walking be a problem in either of them. not for miles but 25-50 yards at a time kind of deal. lastly are stiff soles really that much better? my current shoes are a 5 on the specialized scale so would be doubling the stiffness of my currents shoes

thanks,
    adam

Fat-tired Roadie
    Wow. Capital letters?

Also, #firstworldproblems.

What are you expecting to be better with the more expensive shoes? I don't think that power losses due to flexy soles when someone already has a XC shoe are a problem in reality; that's my opinion which you can take as such. Cleat pressure can suck. So if you're exerting enough force for the Comps to give you problems with that, stiffer soles will probably help. Otherwise, you'll have some (briefly) cleaner shoes and I bet they're lighter or something, but not much more.

I wouldn't replace a pair of Comps until I wore them out.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Wow. Capital letters?

Also, #firstworldproblems.

What are you expecting to be better with the more expensive shoes? I don't think that power losses due to flexy soles when someone already has a XC shoe are a problem in reality; that's my opinion which you can take as such. Cleat pressure can suck. So if you're exerting enough force for the Comps to give you problems with that, stiffer soles will probably help. Otherwise, you'll have some (briefly) cleaner shoes and I bet they're lighter or something, but not much more.

I wouldn't replace a pair of Comps until I wore them out.

what does the capital letters thing mean? i didn't write it all in caps and if you are referring to me not capitalizing the first letter on my sentences i thought we all got over the grammer correction thing on message boards sometime after 2000.

onto the shoe thing. the only reason i am buying new shoes it because this was my first pair and i actually bought them over a halfsize to big not realizing that cycling shoes needed a snugger fit. fast forward three years and i want to buy a new pair of shoes. i love it when topics turn into people justifying there purchases instead of talking abou the topic. I in no way am trying to come of as some pro who is ripping the soles of my shoes. I am below mediocre at best. so with all that said do you have any input on the two shoes i asked about? i figured i would post it here since racers i think usually buy higher end stuff. how is walking in a stiff shoe? does it give you blisters or pain right away?

thanks for your input
    adam

Fat-tired Roadie
    The thing about diction, grammar, spelling and punctuation is that they make things easier to read.

I like to sprinkle in a lot of line feeds too, for the same reason.

Just buy some Comps that fit you, and be happy.

A rigid shoe sucks to walk in. I guess I already knew how important it is to me to have some movement in the forefoot, because I also ski. But, it's very important. Trying to balance without that sucks, and trying to walk on an "easy" surface, like a paved parking lot, is also awkward.

Specialized builds some flex into the forefoot of most (all?) of their mountain bike shoes. So I wouldn't worry too much about that. Just read the product description or walk around in the store.

I think that more rigid shoes are also less forgiving of a poor match to the shape of the wearer's arch, or of weird biomechanical things. But, I think corrective insoles work a little better in a more rigid shoe. In other words, if your arch isn't as flat as Specialized's stock insoles or you have weird biomechanics that need to be corrected, you'll notice it more in a more rigid shoe. But, your insoles, assuming they're right for you, will work better.

If I were testing the Comp, Expert and Pro blind, without knowing what they cost or how their stiffnesses compare according to the Big S, I'd probably choose on fit and how I felt about the straps/buckles/whatever. Buckles are kind of nice but can get banged into things (ask me how I know ) and clogged (ditto.) Velcro does surprising well, actually, as long as I don't let the parts I actually use get dirty. I'm curious about that dial thing that's on some of the more expensive shoes.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Livin' the Dream
    I would buy the stiffest soles you can afford and not worry about walking in them. If it's a comfortable shoe, it won't give you blisters walking. The stiffer the sole, the less of a chance of a hot spot when pedaling, which can be a huge issue on endurance length events. Yeah, walking in a carbon sole sucks, but hopefully that is less than 5% of your time. As for your two choices I don't really know anything about either. I've been using Mavic Fury's for the last few years and really like them.
    DO RIGHT AND FEAR NO MAN

Drop in?... Anyone?
    For me (anyways), upgrades matter in the right places and not so much in other places. It's seems well accepted that wheels, tires are the #1 upgrade (weight, stiffness, to value ratio or whatever you want to call it). Cranks probably next. Bottom Line: If it spins, it's a target for an upgrade, and it's worth being light and stiff (over the long haul... especially over the long haul). Shoes spin... shoes are a major contact point, making them a focal point for an upgrade... I think, perhaps... as light and stiff as you can afford (within reason of your riding style and terrain). But don't give up comfort to get it. The longer you pedal, the happier you and your dogs will be.

Oh... +1 on the fury
    Last edited by strat819; 03-10-2013 at 11:54 AM.
    "Money can't buy you happiness. But it can buy you a yacht and you can sail right up next to it!" David Lee Roth

mtbr member
    Fury's are awesome but try them on (and every other brand) before you buy them. You don't want your heel slipping out/rubbing.