mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Shimano for training, SRAM X0 for racing?

I currently have an XT equipped training bike. So far I've scored an X0 set and I intend using it for my race bike. Any difficulty in handling the difference in shifting systems, especially in race conditions?

mtbr member
    Interestingly enough, I have SRAM and Shimano systems on my road bikes and switch between the two all the time. There is usually a little transition time needed after riding one for a while and switching to the other. But it can be done.

If the SRAM setup will be on your race bike, I'd suggest using that bike for your last day out riding before the race. That way SRAM shifting gets "programmed" into your brain before taking it out on race day. This is probably more important if the shifters are similar (both triggers) versus very different (dual control versus grip shifters), as it will be easier to do the wrong move when the setup feels nearly identical to your hands.

College Boy
    that or run grip shift on both of them. get the grip sifter from SRAM that are designed to work with shimano rear derailur so you do not have to deal with the switch.

No. Just No.
    I have bikes with both Shimano and SRAM triggers, and SRAM twisters. It usually takes me just a couple of minutes of riding around for the action of whatever shifters I'm on to kick in again, which usually is more than taken care of with a little bit of race day warmup or pedalling around. If you've logged enough cumulative hours on both, I'd guess your adaptation to one or the other would similarly take just a couple of minutes every time i.e. they all seem to stay pretty close "surface memory". On the other hand, if you only have limited hours on one of the setups, you may have more problems switching back and forth.

Gnar
    I have Sram shifters on my fun AM bike and Shimano shifters on my racing hardtail. I spend a lot more time on the AM bike and all I need to do is warm up before before the race and I get used to the Shimano quite quickly.

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    I don't know a lot about SRAM stuff, whether they make multiple styles of shifters, but the major difference which got me when trying swap between Shimano and SRAM shifters was the fact that the SRAM shifters [I used] required use of the thumb to change gears in both directions, both in a pushing motion. The Shimanos on the other hand use a pull from the index finger, and are top pull on the rear - which I think would be confusing switching between.

Personally I don't like the whole massive wind/crank up 2:1 ratio on the SRAMs.

large member
    Quote Originally Posted by akashra
    You have them confused. Shimano uses the 2:1 actuation ratio. Sram is a 1:1 actuation ratio. MUCH less finicky than Shimano.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I just took out an X0 bike for a ride, kept trying to shift Shimano style. I seriously think that I need to spend a lot of time on both bikes and not keep the race bike for race day only.

Or I could give up them X0s (since I've not fixed them up) and get the 07 XTRs which are pretty sweet when I tried them on a friend's bike.

large member
    Quote Originally Posted by tainted
    I just took out an X0 bike for a ride, kept trying to shift Shimano style. I seriously think that I need to spend a lot of time on both bikes and not keep the race bike for race day only.

Or I could give up them X0s (since I've not fixed them up) and get the 07 XTRs which are pretty sweet when I tried them on a friend's bike.
    If you've gotta give one up, I'd give up the XT group and swap it for Sram x9. Just my opinion though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by akashra
    I don't know a lot about SRAM stuff, whether they make multiple styles of shifters, but the major difference which got me when trying swap between Shimano and SRAM shifters was the fact that the SRAM shifters [I used] required use of the thumb to change gears in both directions, both in a pushing motion. The Shimanos on the other hand use a pull from the index finger, and are top pull on the rear - which I think would be confusing switching between.

The new shimano stuff ('07) uses dual action triggers....they can be used like traditional shimano (with index finger) or like sram (with thumb)

I have both '07 XT and '07 x.9....I prefer the sram for its precise feel....and sram is 1:1, shimano is 2:1

Members who have read this thread: 0