mtbr member

Setting up a stationary trainer for MTB training

I just picked up a stationary trainer for doing intervals and other specific programs in a more controlled environment. I changed out the monster saddle for one off an old bike I had laying around. I have the saddle angle set right and it is located in the exact same position relative to the "bottom bracket". The handlebar position is a bit more problematic. It's pretty close and doesn't allow for adjustment. I also wanted to change the pedals to a pair off an old bike, but the spindle/bolt? on the trainer is too small and "normal" mtb pedals 9/16ths? won't fit.

I am not too concerned about the handlebars, but I would appreciate any advice to help get some trail pedals on Instead of the plastic ones that came with it.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!
    Photos from mountain biking in Nepal:
    bideshibiker.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    look like 1/2?
    Pedal thread sizes [Archive] - Bike Forums

No clipless 1/2" on ebay - looks like bmx bike are 1/2" Looks like straps w/bmx pedals or adaptors or possibly having LBM retap cranks
    1/2" clipless pedals??? [Archive] - Bike Forums

I will send you my research bill - just kidding

I would try to make fit as close as possible to race bike - cheap stems not that expensive
    How to measure your bicycle position accurately and repeatedly

Where are you located that you are doing intervals allready?

mtbr member
    Thanks for the help! Sorry I'm not using the correct terminology, but I'm setting up a stationary /exercise bike. I actually prefer flat pedals for training, just not the plastic junk that came with the thing.

Local bike shops have a very limited selection, but I will search EBAY. I live just south of Kathmandu and have beautiful riding weather year around.

I hope that this is the right forum for this training question since I am not really a racer? I I just started mountain biking in October and became addicted. I have just started working on Lee's "Pump up the base" 12week program. And I hope to compete in several races this season. We have actually already had 2 races this year.

Thanks again for the help!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Photos from mountain biking in Nepal:
    bideshibiker.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    ebay link to 1/2" pedals - 'straps' will help keep your feet on pedals - stiff soles of 'cycling specific' shoes will help to

1/2" pedal in Bicycle Parts | eBay

Kathmandu - I thought you were messing with me...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I have my old mtb set-up on the trainer. However there are two issues.

1) you need slick rear tire as with a knobby it is very noisy.
    2) I run out of gears on the mtb and don't really get a good workout. My resistance is not adjustable other than changing gears on the bike, but even in my toughest gear I find it too easy. Maybe a road bike with bigger gears would be better?

So I don't really use it at all. I do have keep the setup for my wife however.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.