Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pulser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,571

    Setting up rear suspension for XC racing

    I made the jump to a full suspension bike this year. I got a 012 Salsa Spearfish2 frame leftover for a really good price. I have been on a hardtail for many years and this will be my first race season with a full suspension. It has the RS Monarch 3.1 with 3 platform settings. I don't really notice much difference in the settings. So my question is should I replace it with the XX version with a remote lock out? I am in Colorado so the climbing is ether fire road or technical. I like the suspension being active on the technical climbs but I kind of think having it locked out would be better for the fire roads. I am stepping up to cat1 this year so I want to get this figured out well before the season starts.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,375
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser View Post
    I made the jump to a full suspension bike this year. I got a 012 Salsa Spearfish2 frame leftover for a really good price. I have been on a hardtail for many years and this will be my first race season with a full suspension. It has the RS Monarch 3.1 with 3 platform settings. I don't really notice much difference in the settings. So my question is should I replace it with the XX version with a remote lock out? I am in Colorado so the climbing is ether fire road or technical. I like the suspension being active on the technical climbs but I kind of think having it locked out would be better for the fire roads. I am stepping up to cat1 this year so I want to get this figured out well before the season starts.
    Fireroads is seated climbing no? I doubt you will see any pedal bob seated on that design that a platform would not cure. My sugar does fine seated which is essentially the same design even with minimal pressure in the platform side.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pulser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,571
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Smedley View Post
    Fireroads is seated climbing no? I doubt you will see any pedal bob seated on that design that a platform would not cure. My sugar does fine seated which is essentially the same design even with minimal pressure in the platform side.
    Some of the fire roads are seated but the pitches can be steep and in a race you want to try and drop people there. So I need to be able to climb standing too. I haven't had a chance to test it on a fire road climb yet. But It does bob when I am climbing on the road going to the trail if I am in the big ring. I could put more air in the shock but then I wouldn't get full travel out of it.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,375
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser View Post
    Some of the fire roads are seated but the pitches can be steep and in a race you want to try and drop people there. So I need to be able to climb standing too. I haven't had a chance to test it on a fire road climb yet. But It does bob when I am climbing on the road going to the trail if I am in the big ring. I could put more air in the shock but then I wouldn't get full travel out of it.
    I guess my shock works different. Manitou SPV, I have two chambers , I can pump the platform chamber up, which controls pedal bob and also and set the main chamber any way I want for travel-sag. I would definitely spend some time trying to dial yours in to see if it will work for you.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pulser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,571
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Smedley View Post
    I guess my shock works different. Manitou SPV, I have two chambers , I can pump the platform chamber up, which controls pedal bob and also and set the main chamber any way I want for travel-sag. I would definitely spend some time trying to dial yours in to see if it will work for you.
    The RS Monarch RT3 is a single air chamber. There is a small one at the bottom of the damper but that controls bottom out. RS does not want consumers to mess with it. It comes set from the factory. I have messed around with it for a week now and I have found any thing over 145PSI and I won't get full travel. Any thing under 140psi and it has too much pedal bob. I have 3 settings full open middle and full closed. I honestly don't feel much difference between them. My thinking is leave it open and have it locked out when climbing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •