mtbr member

Setting up HR zones

Hi

Ok so been trying to setup the HR zones on strava.
    Did a 30 min TT (Trainer Profile | LL TT | Times and Records | Strava), and took the avg heart rate of the last 20 mins and using that as my lactic threshold. Avg heart rate for that 20mins being
    156bpm

I am guessing my mx HR is around 195 bpm, 156 bpm then seems a little low for my lactic threshold?
    Using that value however, I worked out the zones as follow :

Z1 - Endurance : 0 - 126
    Z2 - Moderate : 126 - 145
    Z3 - Tempo : 145 - 156
    Z4 - Threshold : 156 - 164
    Z5 - Anaerobic : 164 +

Does not seem right, anyone got any advice?

mtbr member
    You were doing 40 mph? Wow you are fast. Were you doing it on a flat course? HR is a personal thing, hard to say right or wrong. Friel says the more you repeat the lthr test, the more accurate it will be. My lthr is 170, just for what it is worth. When I do the 30 min test, it is around 166 or so, but when I did a cx race a few weeks ago, my avg hr was 178. I used the friel equation to deduct from a race pace and got 170 as my lthr.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by lamb View Post
    You were doing 40 mph? Wow you are fast. Were you doing it on a flat course?
    metric system for sure

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lamb View Post
    You were doing 40 mph? Wow you are fast. Were you doing it on a flat course? HR is a personal thing, hard to say right or wrong. Friel says the more you repeat the lthr test, the more accurate it will be. My lthr is 170, just for what it is worth. When I do the 30 min test, it is around 166 or so, but when I did a cx race a few weeks ago, my avg hr was 178. I used the friel equation to deduct from a race pace and got 170 as my lthr.
    Metric system 40km/h...so on the slower side Done on a IDT.

Fat-tired Roadie
    What are you basing your max HR guess on?

If correct, then yeah, 160 seems a little low. You can always try the test again. I haven't done Friel's protocol, but it took me a couple tries to do a 5 mile indoor TT (computrainer) well. I've been meaning to do a Friel test outside, since I don't think I'm masochistic enough to spend as much time above LT as my tracks indicate I do, assuming correct zones. I think he includes the other methods of finding LT because it is difficult to do the test all-out.

Are you trying to use Friel's zones? In my Bible, at least, from LT on up is zone 5. There's a zone 3 that occupies the upper half of your zone 2 for your LT. I notice that Training Peaks has 5a 5b and 5c, like his book, and I think that my Garmin can support additional numbered zones if I want to add distinct zones within 5.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member

Guessing your max heart rate does not seem right. Everything elese looks fine.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

mtbr member
    that is almost exactly the numbers i got. did test 3 times and it was all around 160-167 for upper threshold. i gave up on it and just kept riding by feel. recently i got new forerunner with hr monitor so i might try again.
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by serious View Post

Guessing your max heart rate does not seem right. Everything elese looks fine.
    The max heart rate does not worry me *that* much, as long as the zones is more or less right, the lower value of Z5 is more or less right, it seems fine.
    The zones seems very small for me.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Some people just have low heart rates. Maybe you have a big heart that moves a large volume with every stroke. Then it's not going to go as fast. There was an article floating around in which the members of an elite rowing team were found to be everywhere from 120 to 200 in competition. Didn't really effect anything else. Which is the whole point of the test - otherwise we really could just use some generic formula.

You can always try it again if it didn't suck enough the first time.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by _daemon_ View Post
    The max heart rate does not worry me *that* much, as long as the zones is more or less right, the lower value of Z5 is more or less right, it seems fine.
    The zones seems very small for me.
    I do agree that the treshold HR is critical, but is it possible that your guess of 195 is wrong and therefore the 156-164 treshold is really correct.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

Giant Anthem
    My 30 min test was almost identical-I did mine on my rollers inside and my heart rate ave was 155. Your numbers look like mine. With that said, at several races this summer I averaged 160 for over an hour several times so heat, dehydration etc can make for a different outcome.

On a different note setting up your zones is a great step in developing your plan for the year and I just read "base building for cyclists" by thomas chapple. He talks about how building your base is the key to raising your fitness ceiling. I've read it and feel the drills and workouts in the book are very well laid out-I suggest reading this as you plan out your zones and your training. Training and racing with power meter is a must read as well.
    Racing and Training Blog
    http://dirtandgears.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    muscular weakness may be your limiting factor, especially if you are coming from another sport. You may be able to sustain higher heart rates outside into the wind or up a hill.

You have the whole winter to fiddle, if you roll a 2x20 at 160 and that's a bit high you will be struggling a lot and will be kind of sore after, so dial it back a little. For this winter training being a little on the low side is OK if you are getting the consistent work in.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    you need to fully read friels book. just because your at threshold doesn't mean you are incapable of riding over that mark for a decent amount of time. I think all of the op's numbers look pretty reasonable and of course lets remember it's not how high your threshold is that matters, it's how much POWER you are putting out at threshold that really matters