mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Septum Deviation And Performance

Hey all,

I searched this forum and also googled that deviated septum would not affect athletic performance at all,and also the nasal bands,such as breath right.Many say that,a septum deviation fix can increase quality and sleep comfort,but not V02 max or etc.

The logic behind is while exercising we use our mouth to breath as the supply of nose is not enough.After like 120-130 bpm,breathing through nose is not enough for example.

But today,my experience was opposite.I have a deviated septum which my one nostril is rarely open and the other is 80 percent open.However,somehow during my training today,I had both my nostrils fully open,and my fitness improved dramatically.Not so much boost but I felt it.I was able to maintain a higher cadance and during the hills,I did not hit my lactate limit too much as before,trying to catch my breath.

So my experience with septum deviation is like this and I beleive that,it is really affecting my athletic performance,I am a beginner cycling for a year,and I know that it is early to expect high performance but I think my nose is decreasing my performance.

While breathing through my mouth,I also feel that partial of the air I breath,passes through my nose.

So Is there anyone,on this forum,who got their deviated septum fixed,and improved their performance?

Thanks for reading and reply.
    As long as the devil is hiding the details,the question remains:Is that all you got?Are you sure?

mtbr member
    I'd suggest visiting an ENT doc.
    Get me the knuckles of Frisco..

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Very glad I had my fixed. Would do it again in a heart beat.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I'll report back after next Tuesday. Septoplasty to repair mildly deviated septum, a little trim down of the turbinates back to normal size and something that helps enlarge the sinus openings so they drain more easily. Started using nasal steroids about three months ago; huge improvement, but might as well repair the underlying problem. I realized that although I can breathe through both sides, they are never completely open. How could improving air flow not help? My doc uses a technique with no gauze packing, so recovery is from 2 to 4 days and (supposedly) many people do not even use pain meds. Fingers crossed that it will be that easy.

Anesthesia will be propofol. Unlike Michael Jackson, most people who have propofol administered wake up after surgery.

I don't have issues with snoring or sleep apnea, but I would think getting these things repaired would improve quality of sleep, thus improving performance indirectly. We'll see.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I tried the nasal strips on my last ride. Couldn't believe how much better I breathed. I'll soon be seeing an ENT.

mtbr member
    The powers of persuasion and the placebo effect can be quite strong.

You cannot breath through the nose and mouth simultaneously. Unless you're deliberately forcing yourself to breath through the nose, nothing you do to your nose, whether breath- rite strip or septoplasty, will have any impact on your breathing or your performance. Studies have disproved any claims that breath-rite strips help, except in those sports like football where you're breathing through your nose due to use of a mouthpiece, and even there they help very little.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mudge View Post
    The powers of persuasion and the placebo effect can be quite strong.
    Soooo, whats your point?! LOL, if it FEELs like youre hammering more, than its all good right?

On a serious note, those who have tried/are getting this done please report back. Im more concerned with the issues I have sleeping with recurring congestion than pedaling, but hey if it helps all the more reason to do it I suppose... Subscribed.

Captain Climber
    If I could get rid of my CPAP machine and get a better nights sleep, I think my performance would improve. Hopefully this will be my cure to sleep apnea... I'm going to ask the doctor.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanxj View Post
    Soooo, whats your point?! LOL, if it FEELs like youre hammering more, than its all good right?

On a serious note, those who have tried/are getting this done please report back. Im more concerned with the issues I have sleeping with recurring congestion than pedaling, but hey if it helps all the more reason to do it I suppose... Subscribed.
    The thread has sort of morphed into two discussions, one on breath-rite strips and one on the benefits of septoplasty. I was referring to the nasal strips. I have undergone a septoplasty and can share my "results", since you asked for feedback.

First, why I am adamantly anti-nasal strip... think of the system for the intake of oxygen as a plumbing (water supply) system. The flow is dictated by the smallest diameter pipe. In the case of O2 intake, it depends on whether you're breathing through your nose or your mouth.

Your mouth could be quite large, allowing for a lot of air in one breath, but you're still limited by your windpipe's capacity. On the other hand, your nasal passages and sinuses are much smaller than your windpipe, so anything to enlarge that system would help (sort of). Until you get your sinuses open to the point they transfer as much air as can pass through your windpipe, you're much, much better off just breathing through your mouth. Bingo! Max air intake. Once you're breathing through your mouth, you could just as easily be holding your nose, it won't affect anything.

So, imagine what would happen when you get a septoplasty... a moderate increase in the airflow through the sinuses would be expected. But, still significantly dwarfed in terms of airflow by what's possible by breathing through the mouth. IOW, don't expect any improvement whatsoever in athletic ability due to a septoplasty, unless you're deliberately restricting yourself to nasal breathing only.

Having said all that, can a septoplasty help in other ways? It will very likely help with the quality of your sleep, especially if it stops any snoring issues you may have. It really helped me in that regard. As for sinus congestion issues, that's where my biggest improvement came. I used to be stopped up all the time, now... never. My overall quality of life is better, my sleep is better. In so far as that helps my fitness, yeah, a septoplasty 'helped'. It's not going to be a miracle cure, though.

On the congestion issue, an even greater solution (for me, anyway, and maybe for you) is that for years I've been doing sinus irrigation with warm salt water almost every day. Cleaning out the sinuses works to combat the possible occurrence of sinus infections, which is a very, very good thing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Good job! Schnoze surgery

OK, 12 days post-surgery for (as noted above) repair of deviated septum, turbinate reduction and balloon sinuplasty. First, surgery was scheduled for Tuesday, but I got a call early Monday to see if I wanted to move the surgery up to 11 am that day, since there was a good possibility of an ice storm on Tuesday AM.

Great, but instead of propofol I was sent to the pharmacy to pick up two Ativan (lorazepam) to take at 10 am; Ativan is some type of kick-a$$ anti-anxiety medication & the doc's nurse assured me I would feel 'carefree'. By the time we were ready to leave for to doc's office, I could not even walk straight. I remember my husband helping me walk across the reception area when they called my name, recall a snippet of a crackling noise from my nose, DH getting me back to the car, DH waking me up at 7 pm, and waking up on Tuesday wearing the clothes I wore on Monday. I basically lost about 18 hours in there somewhere; totally completely gone, but yeah, no anxiety. I really, really hope I did not say or do anything wildly inappropriate in the doctor's office, but I'll never know.

For follow up, I had a course of prednisone (steroid) in decreasing amounts over a week, and I really think this caused some serious and very unpleasant insomnia as the days wore on, probably contributing to fatigue. So, couldn't really get too much energy or much traction to do anything. Had strange facial aches off and on, which is normal. On the following monday for followup, the doc had a little stick vacuum & he hoovered up god knows what in there and said I was slightly behind the curve on recovery. However, slept well that night and it was wonderful. I now wake up very refreshed, can feel the air just whistling through my nose with no obstruction, I've dropped about 3 lbs, and in general feel really good and much more energetic. Really a positive change. Also use the NeilMed nose wash and I can feel how much less restriction there is now.

So, in all, a very positive result. Should only get better and better over the next 6 weeks as everything heals and continues to shrink a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Arda_ View Post
    I believe that,it is really affecting my athletic performance...So Is there anyone,on this forum,who got their deviated septum fixed,and improved their performance?
    I think there is a good possibility it will, if for no other reason than getting more air in with less effort as you are sleeping. Remember, recovery is as important as actively training and restful sleep is an important aspect of recovery.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by June Bug View Post
    OK, 12 days post-surgery
    Great news

Captain Climber
    Did you look or feel like you lost a fist fight afterward June Bug?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jem7sk View Post
    Did you look or feel like you lost a fist fight afterward June Bug?
    No, there was no facial bruising or swelling at all. I think the whole procedure only took 20 minutes or so but of course I have no memory of it. I suspect they have long-handled tiny tools that allow them to get in there to do what needs done with minimal disturbance.
    I do recall I was supposed to have done several snorts of Afrin just before I came in the docs office for the surgery, but I think this step was skipped due to my being in orbit around planet Zebu due to the Ativan. The Afrin apparently cuts down or stops bleeding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by June Bug View Post
    No, there was no facial bruising or swelling at all. I think the whole procedure only took 20 minutes or so but of course I have no memory of it. I suspect they have long-handled tiny tools that allow them to get in there to do what needs done with minimal disturbance.
    I do recall I was supposed to have done several snorts of Afrin just before I came in the docs office for the surgery, but I think this step was skipped due to my being in orbit around planet Zebu due to the Ativan. The Afrin apparently cuts down or stops bleeding.

Ativan is one of pharmacy's greatest gifts!

It's the axle
    I'd sure be grateful if those who are having this done would share their knowledge on the pitfalls, and key points in choosing a physician to perform the procedure. Or even anything new that's happening in the field.

I've been waiting ten years, and doing a lot of watching on forums. And I absolutely do not want to regret having something done. I doubt empty nose syndrome is common any more, but...

I've always been fine until about ten years ago. And my recovery suffers a lot because of night time breathing issues, even with a breathe right.
    Note to self: 85% of FTP for 20 min.