Always pushing harder!!!

Season in review...how did you do?

For me...best result was 2nd place...8 out of 11 races...one 4th for getting lost on the course and advancing one minute over two guys I beat by 10 minutes in the race (marathon), and to 5th's...one with a back injury and the other with a snapped chain...did the whole last lap on foot...only two races left but only doing one...already secured 2nd place in points...

Funny thing is no matter who won (5 different guys), I always placed second...

So how is your season? Did it ended already? Was it it what you expected?
    Last edited by carlostruco; 08-24-2011 at 07:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    CX season is just around the corner so i am not really taking any down time this year... but my MTB season was awesome and i hope to carry some momentum.

i had quite a few wins this year. took the Kenda Cup West series championships, the Rim Nordic Series title, and placed 3rd (too many minutes back from the leader i will add) at National Championships.

i do have one more mountain bike race (California State Champs/Kenda Cup Invitational) which should be interesting as it is being held in my town at our local training grounds. i rode the course last night and it should be a good challenging race.

things to work on for me: consistency in my nutrition to keep from yo-yoing up and down through the racing portion of the season, long climbs seem to have hurt me and have traditionally been a weakness so i will try to work those, and my descending seems to have slipped some so i need to brush up on some DH skills.
    My wife's website....
    Allison Mann

mtbr member
    Just like every season, you learn something new.

Season started well, got sick in April, then ended pretty good.

Race wise, the only highlight was winning the "B" group in our local weekly series (after 2 years of no podiums) and beating a few guys I've never beaten before. A 4 minute gain on my competition over a 1 hour course, over 5 weeks. That improvement was freaky.

But this success in our weekly series and lack of success in the state series seems to be attributed to the difference in course layout. The weekly series is defniitely XCO, and the state series is stupid loooooong climbs and stupid long distance (2-2.5 hours). Seems like I have alot of the same strengths that Whybotherme talks about: short punchy power combined with shorter race times (~1 hour).

The podiums at the weekly series also correlated with 30s through 4 minute power PRs on the powertap during that month, so it was nice to give power data some creedence. But that kind of shorter power ability only seems to be advantages on XCO type courses.

Last week I raced with the Pros and fast Experts in the "A" group and mixed it up pretty good the first lap, but faded the final 3 laps. Brutally fast but pretty fun. Got DFL (the 2 guys in front were within a minute) but I still had fun. Actually, I had a blast.

On the road I've done Masters 35+ 1-2-3 races and it seems the problem is the same. Races are too long: 100 miles and 94 miles for the 2 that I did. With the Masters 1-2-3, I definitely need a stronger big engine. Some of those guys I suspect have an FTP 40-50W higher than mine. When the attacks repeat over, and over, and over, it seems i have no reserve to draw from; but at least I finished mid-pack in the last race. The Cat3 race I did was much easier. (Two 50+ year olds kicked our trash in the Masters 35+, BTW)
    Last edited by Poncharelli; 08-24-2011 at 10:58 AM.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I had a good time. Pretty much only did the local series which was a blast and one 50 miler. I was most successful in the 50 I think, getting 23rd out of about 180 riders. I beat several people who normally annihilate me in shorter races (including a few 1s, I'm a 2), so I'm thinking I'll try more of this endurance stuff. I also got one third place finish which I am happy with, and middle of the (small) pack in my second ever ss xc race, which is also something I would like to do more of, at least in shorter races. My first ever SS race was with the A group in our weekly series and I think I got a few places from DFL. It was brutal but if I train hard I think I can hang, especially with gears.

So overall I had a great time and explored some new styles of racing.

Weaknesses:
    - Bursty power/sprinting
    - Hydration/nutrition
    - dealing with the heat (somewhat related to above)
    - My handling skills seem to take a serious nose-dive after 3 hours. I think I need more upper body work to deal with arm fatigue over a long technical race.

Strengths:
    - Longer races, apparently
    - Long climbs/climbing in general
    - un-fatigued I feel pretty good about my handling skills lately.
    - Simon

Has skills-will travel
    Jun 2008
    My year so far has been funny. For any race under 30 miles I have come in 5th and it didn't matter about if it was a 45 minute sprint or a 2 hour grind or how many people showed up (10 to 80) nor did it matter the technical or lack of technical. And it didn't matter who showed up or how much climbing there was, something would prevent me from placing better than 5th.

Than I did a race over 30 miles, and came in 2nd out of 40 people in my cat.

So what have I learned from this year - I need to keep up the good work on my FTP/VO2Max, but work hard on my high power! So, next year (which will start in a month) I will work on getting down to 175# and staying there (not bouncing around between 175 to 185) and start racing on the road for the first time to help on the Mountain bike races that are less than 30 miles.

Drop in?... Anyone?
    Pretty good. 1 Race left in the Winter Park Summer Series and I'm holding onto a Sport/Cat 2> 3rd overall points. I will leave it all on the trail at the King of the Rockies (the last race) and perhaps hold on for an overall podium. If I did that, I would be very happy with the season and have some good mojo headed into the winter and next season... and would have achieved my goal of an overall podium for some good consistent racing.

Update: Mission accomplished. Podiumed the overall.
    Last edited by strat819; 09-02-2011 at 07:08 AM.

Always pushing harder!!!

upon further review...

My season was a succes for me. I got off to a very fast start...while training I broke a finger, but that only kept me a week out of the saddle. When racing got going, I scored two 2nd's very quick. I was amazed by those two results because I actualy wasn't keeping track of my traning and when I did, I noticed I would be peaking for the two most important races of the season. But then again, I consistenly placed second so it didn't matter...

Things that I learned:
    1. My pre-race preparation is very important. Two of the bad results could have been better or podiums...
    2. Nutrition...now at the latter part of the season I finallly nailed it...then again, this is only my second year racing...
    3. The more technical the course is, the better for me...nobody can keep up with me on the downhills...

Things that I have to work on:
    1. I have to work on my starts...they are way to fast for me and I burn a lot staying with the leaders or leading the first lap...
    2. Better hydration plan...I've never had cramps in a race, but I'm guessing I'm flodding myself with fluids and I think thats affecting me...
    3. I also need to keep my weight down... I went from 175 to 185 after the first five races in the middle of the season and that killed my endurance and speed

For next season, I will train with goals. I will keep track of what I do and when I do it. I did not do much of a structred plan so I will try to get better at that. And another thing to consider, next year I move up to the next age group, where two of the fastest guys on the series are...nobody in that AG group has come even close to beating them...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Did pretty good this season, 3 xterras, 2 (so far expert mtb races)

AG places, 10th at a large regional race (xterra world championship qualifier)

two 2nd places at the local races.

mtb: 7th in first expert race, 4th in second, last race in series postponed due to isabel.

Still have a duathlon the week after the postponed mtb race at the same venue, should be pretty fun only doing one lap instead of three.

Only have one more year left in my age group and then things get really hard.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Weird season for me. I wasn't very fast last season, and didn't do a great job of base training this season, between "taking a break" after 'cross and the early-season racing series. My usual series was very short this year, and I had schedule or distance conflicts with most of it. So I only did one of those races.

I sucked in the early-season races. I've aged up into the next category in those, and it's more crowded and more competitive. Also, the laps are short and typically in pretty technical riding areas, without much sustained climbing. The two I did better in were one in a large park, with some longer, non-technical climbs and some riding around on beaten tracks through fields - I'm okay at putting my head down and powering, now, even if I still have a hard time carrying speed in flat singletrack, and a race in a trail system that's flat and twisty, so not usually my favorite, but where I've practiced a fair amount. Also, a lot more people showed up to that one. I think my usual competition are a more self-selecting group, so when races are bigger, it's usually more people onto the slow part of the field, not mixed in evenly. However, I've always had trouble with the races in that series, I think I did a little better overall, pathetic as that may be, and my handling skills are improving. One of the things I want to do this winter is drive out to some of those race courses and practice on them.

Figuring out how to normalize my places into percentiles has been a little bit of an ego blow - at least I didn't used to know that I'm sometimes as low as the 17th percentile among finishers in my class. (really technical course, my biggest problem in my view) I guess I could always add DNFs or figure out a way to mix in other class's times, but I'm not racing other classes, and the people who DNF could easily be faster than me on days when things work out.

Because my usual series was having issues, I decided to try some really long races instead - a 30 and a 50. Both went well, and I finished in the upper 50% of my category. Categories were looser for these - Senior Men was one big field. I don't get slowed down a ton by very long races, so I think I have two tasks for the coming season - get faster, and keep doing long enough rides to make 50 into a more comfortable distance. 30 felt like an overgrown XC race. 50 felt really long.

I swore I wasn't going to be serious about 'cross this year. I even thought about not entering. But I've already promised a couple people they can come see me race, done some team workouts and a practice race... I feel on my way to a stronger 'cross season than those in the past. So now I'm promising myself that I'll only emphasize one series and pull the plug when the weather turns if I'm not getting anywhere in series points. I want to do better base training this winter.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

CB2
    Jam Econo
    My season went well; there is one race left in our series and as long as I finish I will secure 2nd overall in the Cat1 SS.
    I won a few, including my State Championships but the most satisfying races were when I gave the young bucks a good run for their money (no one told these kids Cat1 SS is the "other" Cat1 40-49); nothing is more gratifying than turning yourself inside out giving it everything you've got.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Had a good season. Still 5 races left in my series but a baby is cutting my season short. First year racing, skipped Cat 3 and did Cat 2, and wound up mostly mid pack. I know with a more dedicated and structured plan, combined with more base training, I can definitely get some podiums next year and hopefully move up to Cat 1 by the end of it.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy135 View Post
    Had a good season. Still 5 races left in my series but a baby is cutting my season short. .
    That's a great reason, congrats!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2 View Post
    That's a great reason, congrats!
    Thanks! Baby girl gonna be named Elayna. According to her mom, she's already got the legs needed for cycling! That girl can kick! lol

mtbr member
    1st season racing 29er ss after 10 years of racing 26er geared full sussers.

early season races are usually just training rides for me, but struggled with naussia and dehydration for the first four races. Finally figured it out.

Finishing strong with a 7th place finish at The Burn 24 (solo open).
    and 10th at The Off Road Assault on Mt. Mitchell (SS class)
    I have an 8 hour coming up this weekend and a 24 in October left. I hope to do well in those.

mtbr member
    It's going pretty well, first year racing as a licensed pro, and first year with a newborn, and riding whenever I can squeeze it in.

Got a bunch of seconds in the weekly races racing A's.

-A couple top 10's in some 50+ mile stuff.
    -Mid pack at Nationals, XC and Super D
    -2nd place at the State Champs (UT)
    -7th place at the DealerCamp Pro Shortrack, most importantly, didn't get lapped by Tim Johnson & Keegan Swenson on a 2 minute course.

Generally, the shorter the course and race, the better I do. (like Poncharelli and WhyBotherMe). I think it's because I really struggle to get much volume into my training, but the intensity is there.
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

www.roostersbikersedge.com
    http://www.ENVEcomposites.com

I'd rather be riding
    Not bad so far, did decent in the five races I did this summer. (First year racing). Now looking forward to the start of collegiate season and moving up from beginner in open races to B in collegiate. We'll see how it goes.