more skier than biker
    Nov 2006

Sea Otter Classic Race Report (Pro / Cat 1 Singlespeed class)

Managed a 3rd Place finish in the Pro/ Cat 1 Singlespeed race at this year's Sea Otter Classic. 1st Place went to Evan Plews and 2nd went to Scotty Carlile. Super fun race....

Here is a link to my experiences from the race:
    2013 Sea Otter Classic, Pro/Cat 1 Singlespeed XC Race Report | Folsom Bike Elite MTB Racing Team

NONDURO
    Nice race report. If my memory serves me correctly your group/cat didnít start in the morning when it was cool (as my Cat2 race did early Sunday morning), so I can understand your having drained your hydration pack dry. Suck-ass feeling having to adjust your pace accordingly when youíve run out of water. I had to do that back in the 2012 Howell Mountain Challenge, the average temperature was either 96į or 98į F, I donít remember which. But my Camelbak ran dry with less than 5 miles to go. When the water station appeared, I slowed way the hell down and had two of them, not realising that Iíd finish a mere 20 seconds behind the first place dude in my age group.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

I'd rather be riding
    Good read!

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Nice race report. If my memory serves me correctly your group/cat didnít start in the morning when it was cool (as my Cat2 race did early Sunday morning)....
    Correct...we started on Friday at 1:30 PM. It wasn't that bad at that start, but once we got out there, it was pretty dang hot. I was really surprised I drained the whole thing...thankfully, one thing i didn't mention, was that the wind really kicked up later in the afternoon and so the 2nd lap, actually cooled down quite a bit. We had a nasty headwind to fight in some sections, but the temps came down a bunch at least.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Nice report!

Metalheadbikerider
    Great report. Those Oregon fellas are fast. Thanks for sharing.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

mtbr member
    Sweet! Since you mentioned chain drop issues, whats your current setup on the xtc?

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Fakie1999 View Post
    Sweet! Since you mentioned chain drop issues, whats your current setup on the xtc?
    Well, I had a bit of a mechanical issue going on that I didn't know at the time that was causing my chain drop issues (4 of them..caused me to go from 1st to 2nd in a shakedown race the prior weekend). What happened is that I am using a tensioner to convert the XTC to SS, and on my tensioner, there is a little bolt that holds its pulley in place. Loosening this bolt, allows the pulley to slide in and out on a horizontal plane to adjust the chainline, then you tighten the bolt down once you have that dialed. Well, during that shakedown race (the Napa Valley Dirt Classic: 2013-04-14 Napa Valley Dirt Classic Race Report (Pro Single Speed Category) by Ron Shevock | Folsom Bike Elite MTB Racing Team), at some point, that little bolt fell out causing that pulley to slide around all over the place throwing off the chainline with about every pedal stroke! I didn't realize that was the probably until 2 days later when I began inspecting everything.

So for Sea Otter, I replaced that bolt and used a ton of Loc-tite on it I also added on an e13 XCX chainguide to the front for a little extra security and piece of mind, and all that stuff together worked.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    Managed a 3rd Place finish in the Pro/ Cat 1 Singlespeed race at this year's Sea Otter Classic. 1st Place went to Evan Plews and 2nd went to Scotty Carlile. Super fun race....

Here is a link to my experiences from the race:
    2013 Sea Otter Classic, Pro/Cat 1 Singlespeed XC Race Report | Folsom Bike Elite MTB Racing Team
    Nice ride report and nice job. Question for you, what are you doing to take care of the cramps during races? Seems to be a limiter for me as well.