Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Scott vs Look

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Scott vs Look

Armed with new funds from cashing in my old mountain bike, I am setting out to purchase a new Hardtail Cross Country racer.

I am looking for opinions from other bikers as to which would be a good choice for my new baby. I am looking for something definately race-worthy, with maximum speed and power transfer. Not looking for an amateur ride or forgiving bike here! In the end, I am looking to tweak the build down to about 8kg in the long run.

At the moment I have it narrowed down to these two pretty things:

Look 986 XC Origin

Frame: HM Carbon, Monobloc T2T
    Fork: Rock Shox Reba w/ pop-lock
    Front Travel: 100mm
    Wheelset: Mavic Crossmax ST
    Front Derailleur: SRAM X9
    Rear Derailleur: SRAM X9
    Shifters: SRAM X9 w/ Avid Matchmaker clamps
    Crankset: Truvativ Stylo Teeth: 22 / 32 / 44T
    Crank Arm Length: 175mm
    Bottom Bracket: Truvativ GXP
    Brake Levers: Avid Juicy Brakes: Avid Juicy 7 (front & rear)
    Rotors: 6-Bolt Isis IS, 160mm/160mm
    Headset: FSA Integrated
    Handlebar: Truvativ XC Race Team
    Grips: Look foam
    Stem: Truvativ Team 100mm x 5 Degree
    Chain: SRAM PC971
    Cassette: SRAM PG980 11/34t
    Tires: Hutchison Bulldog tubeless 26 x 2.1in
    Seatpost: (Integrated) Look E-Post
    Saddle: Fiízi:k Gobi
    Weight: 22.7lb

Or.......

2009 Scott Scale 20

Frame - Scott Scale Carbon CR1 technology / HMF net
    Fork: Fox 32 F100RL / Air spring
    Headset: Ritchey Pro 1 1/8""
    Derailleur (Rear): Shimano XTR RD-M972 SGS carbon cage
    Derailleur (Front): Shimano XT FD-M770E / E-Type
    Shifters: Shimano XT SL-M770
    Brake: Shimano XT BL-M775 Disc
    Crankset: Shimano XT FC-M770
    BB-Set: Shimano Cartridge / shell 73mm&E
    Handlebar: Scott Hot Rod OS 31.8mm
    Scott lockon grips
    H'stem: Scott Pro
    Pedals: Shimano PD-M520
    Seatpost: Scott RC 03-60 / 34.9mm
    Seat: Selle Italy SLR XP Kevlar / Vanox rails
    Hub (Front): DT Swiss XR1 Disc CL
    Hub (Rear): DT Swiss XR1 Disc CL
    Chain: Shimano CN-HG73
    Cassette: Shimano XT CS-M770
    Spokes: DT Swiss Super Comp black
    Rims: DT Swiss XR1 Disc
    Tires: Schwalbe Racing Ralph
    Weight: 9.95 kg / 21.92 lbs

There are a few others on my mind, but these two are the stand-outs for the moment.

The Scott in the end will be the lighter bike (sub 1kg Scott frame + lightweight seatpost vs 1.2kg with the Look's uncut seatpost), but the Look is well..... a Look. The cool and unique factor is awsome.

I have heard the negatives about the integrated seatpost on the Look (hard to transport, can only resell to shorter people), but in the end the point of the whole thing is power transfer is it not? Would it be a reasonable trade-off? Or is it simply a gimmick?

Negative on the Scott is that I do not think that this build option has remote lockout for the forks.

As for price, the two bikes are within $100 of each other.

The Scotts are very popular bikes, and they seem to be a proven design. The Look recieves rave reviews, and always gets supurb feedback from riders.

Oh the choice!

Would someone be so kind as to settle this for me? Or recommend another possible option?

AZ
    banned
    The seat post mast on the Look scares me.

mtbr member
    I would go for the lighter of the two.
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

mtbr member
    Have you looked into the Specialized Swork stumpy hartail 26er or 29er. The 29er being 19lbs, will be my next wallet black hole...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scott vs Look-9705-01_ht_l.jpg  

Before you buy anything online, send Bob at bikerbob.com an email! Best online retailer!

My bike/ race Blog

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    pop_martian, That would be the Scott, but only by a hundred grams or so.... rats this is tough.

What about if l was to keep these bikes stock. What would then be the better choice with the component packages?

Bellu, that is way way out f my price range. l wish l could have one....

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I've been racing the Scott Scale LTD for 2 seasons and love it. Nice and stiff and super light. I've raced a couple of 3 day multi stage marathon races on it through the crappiest of conditions and it held up fine. That Look also looks pretty cool but I've even switched my road bike to the Scott CR1 LTD because I liked the MTB so much. Good luck with your decision.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Based on "looks" alone, I'd go for the Scott. That integrated seat-mast on the Look just looks a little weird- I know the concept behind it, but it looks rather unattractive to me. The Scott looks awesome.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    What about a Rocky Mountain Vertex Team carbon?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I'm riding a 5 inch travel dual suspension trail bike that is within a pound of that Look and a pound a half of the Scott.

If you are looking for a real superlight hardtail, why not look at the Cannondale Flash. The high end lefty fork sheds some serious weight when compared to the even an SID World Cup fork.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Budget

mtbr member
    what are the price ranges for the Look and Scott?
    Before you buy anything online, send Bob at bikerbob.com an email! Best online retailer!

My bike/ race Blog

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I've raced a Look 986 for 2 seasons.. sweet ride. I have not considered anything else for 2010. I have flown with my 986 (quite a bit) in a http://www.trisports.com/triall3sporc.html which is a compact hard case. My 986 is a size medium.

Once the mast is cut, I believe you have up to 2cm of adjustment.. which is quite a bit.

As far as the character of the 986 I would say its geometry leans towards fast single track. Long TT, slightly lower BB, and confident at high speed. I have an Indy Fab Ti Deluxe that is a little twitchier and better in the technical terrain, but not as sweet on the fast stuff.

I bought the Look cause it looks cool.. as far as how a bike rides, I can race anything as long as it fits right.. the Look can build up real light too.. as most anything can, but carbon frames make for a light starting point.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    2800 from on-line shops.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Another option has presented itself.

09 Merida FLX Team-D. Thoughts?

Just Ride.
    How about a Cannondale Flash? Such as the Carbon 2?
    Imo you will get better peformance and ride with the Lefty then anything else.

Just a suggestion.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Cant really use a lefty for Adventure races, because trial side repairs are a pain in the ass with no support crews allowed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by a.brasington
    Cant really use a lefty for Adventure races, because trial side repairs are a pain in the ass with no support crews allowed.
    How is the Lefty worse/different in this regard than any other suspension fork? I don't have a Lefty but trailside rebuilds on my Fox and RS's would be a PITA too.

Lefty-equipped bikes have won the 21 day unsupported (sort of) continental divide race for at least the last two years.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have a 2009 model (ie last year's model) Scott Scale 30. I can't speak to the Look, but I love the Scott. Other than when I broke the left shifter in a crash, my Scale has stood up to a fair bit of abuse without any complaints, creaks, noises, etc. - it seems very solid and reliable despite the light weight. It really does feel like it climbs very well and is nimble and agile. My $0.02 is that you won't go wrong with the Scott.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Close to reaching a decision.

Another key thing:

Which would be more suited to a longer distance event? Like a 24 hr Adventure Race or 100km Mtb?

I have had a look at both bikes in store, and the Look is definitely sexier, but people have said that because the Look is stiffer in the rear triangle, it is a lot less suited for the longer distance events than the Scott.

True?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I have a Look 595 road bike and it's like sex on wheels. The Ergo-Post actually does flex on the elastomers smoothing out the ride. I run it with the soft red elastomers and apparently you can get gray super soft ones too if you want a little bit more cush. I remember the first time I rode my bike I was constantly stopping to check if the saddle was tight as the slight movement on the Ergo-Post made it feel like the saddle was slipping. Now that I'm used to it I think it's a brilliant design. That alone might sway me to the Look as it's comfort factor might be slightly higher, especially if you are in for long races.

Can't go wrong with either bike though, both are super sweet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by a.brasington
    the Look is definitely sexier,
    That should end the search!

My 986 is smooth as silk, at least when compared to my Ti Hardtails. Have not noticed BB flex, and I have noticed it on other bikes when hammering big gears outa corners (chain rubs on front derailure). With Carbon Fiber they seem to be able to build a rigid BB AND a smooth ride. The seatpost elastomers may help as well.

mtbr member
    For pure looks, I would go with the Look. Pun intended. But I know a guy who has one and says the ISP can be a pain when traveling...difficult to box up etc.

Just Ride.
    Wouldn't it be better to have a FS bike for a 24hr race?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I use a full sus already, and previously used a hardtail. I definitely prefer the hard tails. I am pretty fit and normally finish quite fast anyway (6hr ARs in 3hrs etc etc).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast