mtbr member
    Dec 2008

saddle- fore/aft position for xc racing?

where/how do you recommend this be set?

I've been reading up and finding conflicting information (some of which goes against how I was previously fit).

I have chondormalacia in my knee and am concerned that having the pedals further "forward" (seat back) may be putting extra stress on this problem (although it clearly arose from running and skiing and not biking).

what's a good resource of place for the most accurate information possible?

There is also the, very real, possibility that it just doesn't matter too (at least with regards to my condition) and it should only be fit for "balance" on the bike etc...

thanks for any help

-Drew

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    As a rule of thumb - and nothing more - a plumb line dropped from your most-forward knee's pivot point should intersect the pedal axle when you're on the bike in riding position and the cranks are level. However, this is highly subject to personal physiology.

I'd recommend finding a good shop with talented fit experts - they can look at your current fit, critique it, and recommend changes if necessary. Don't make any huge changes all at once.

I'd worry less about the "best" position for XC racing, and worry more about the way you fit best on a bicycle. Only then will you realize your potential, both power-wise and simply through feeling comfortable on the bike - this saves time in the long run!
    Alison Dunlap Coaching
    When you're not paid to ride.