mtbr member

Run Mtbike Swim ?

Wondering if anyone is a believer in this approach to training ? If I am trying to be a faster rider should I substitute more riding and less running or swimming ? Usually run twice a week swim twice a week then ride Saturday and Sunday. 3.5 mi. runs 1.25 mi. swims and 10 mile rides with loads of climbing. Not a racer.....just an old guy trying to keep up with faster riders.
    Suicide by single speed. Work in progress.

mtbr member
    I've always been a believer of putting in more miles on the bike to get faster on the bike. If you want to be a faster swimmer, spend more time in the pool.
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pop_martian
    I've always been a believer of putting in more miles on the bike to get faster on the bike. If you want to be a faster swimmer, spend more time in the pool.
    That is the principle of specificity. Train how you play.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient rascal
    Not a racer.....just an old guy trying to keep up with faster riders.
    Do what you enjoy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by flargle
    Do what you enjoy.
    This

mtbr member

All good

So.....you can't beat experience eh ? More experience on the bike mo better rider. No brainer I suppose. Low impact also. Maybe sub in an extra ride now and then but man the swimming deal is a passion also. Thanks for the input guys !

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient rascal
    So.....you can't beat experience eh ? More experience on the bike mo better rider. No brainer I suppose. Low impact also. Maybe sub in an extra ride now and then but man the swimming deal is a passion also. Thanks for the input guys !
    You should be able to do all three. If you want to focus on riding then just ride more often than running or swimming. Depending on your schedule and such, I found it pretty easy to squeeze in a run or swim either in the morning before work or during lunch which leaves the evenings free for riding. However, the I think the specificity deal is dead on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by devilwillride
    You should be able to do all three. If you want to focus on riding then just ride more often than running or swimming. Depending on your schedule and such, I found it pretty easy to squeeze in a run or swim either in the morning before work or during lunch which leaves the evenings free for riding. However, the I think the specificity deal is dead on.
    I think they all contribute to building the motor/heart so to speak. Lately I have been doing some 5 plus hour rides and I am pretty sure I would not do as well without the runs and swims to help with endurance for the climbs/etc. That being said......ride fast....ride more is prolly gonna be the rule.

Members who have read this thread: 0