Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

RockShox Monarch XX Shock for XC Racing?

I posted about this in the 29er forum but nobody seemed interested, so I thought I would see what the race crowd has to say. I am intrigued by the hydraulic lockout capability, which is just like the X-loc on their Sid/Reba XX forks.

Pinkbike did a review of the shock on a 26er, and had this to say:

Yes, if you have the cash to blow on an expensive shock with minimal adjustment features. Racer-types and cross-country trail riders who want instant acceleration from tired legs when it matters most will appreciated the intuitive action of the XLoc button and the Monarch XX's super-firm lockout feel. The blow-off threshold was sensitive enough to keep the Rocky Mountain feeling like a suspension bike and not a rigid rear end, but it certainly pedals like one. When the shock is in open mode, the Monarch XX feels smooth and capable. No, if dialed-in rear suspension rates higher in your skillset than lockout. $360 buys a lot of shock performance. - RC
    RockShox Monarch XX Shock - Tested - Pinkbike.com

My thoughts: It seems like a good option if you want the simple on/off, but you are giving up the intermediate "platform" setting of the RCT3, so there are tradeoffs. Many have asked if Rockshox will come up with a single button that will turn off/on both the fork and rear shock, but I would not want this, there are many times when you would want to lock out just the rear and not the fork. Just get an XX fork with an X-loc button on each shifter, integrated with the Matchmaker setup. This would work nicely and mean no more monkeying with buttons on the fly (I have crashed in a race doing this!).

Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Go for it! Wheel size doesn't matter when it comes to shocks. A good shock will be a good shock on a 26er or a 29er.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy135 View Post
    Go for it! Wheel size doesn't matter when it comes to shocks. A good shock will be a good shock on a 26er or a 29er.
    Agreed. But do you guys think that the X-loc would work well in a XC race environment? Is it worth giving up the intermediate shock setting (called "pro-pedal" on Fox shocks or "platform" on Rockshox) in order to have the convenience of the X-loc?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Boz View Post
    Agreed. But do you guys think that the X-loc would work well in a XC race environment? Is it worth giving up the intermediate shock setting (called "pro-pedal" on Fox shocks or "platform" on Rockshox) in order to have the convenience of the X-loc?
    I think I'd rather have the lockout. You could always play with air pressure if you wanted a firmer ride. after riding my cross bike all fall, getting back on my anthem felt squishy, slow, and not very efficient. My last few rides on it, I rode in pro pedal. Whenever spring rolls around, I'll probably add 5-10 psi to my pressure and see if that helps. I think an on the fly lockout would be great. Maybe I'll look into this shock.

Did I catch a niner?
    Road a Trek 9.9SL with this shock setup and it was nice for someone like me who rides a HT. It was really nice on the uphill, what I think the issue becomes is now having a bunch of extra crap on your bars. This is why I ride a single speed rigid.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

mtbr member
    Since you are giving up the intermediate setting on the shock in exchange for the convenience of the handlebar button, I think this shock is ideally suited for courses where there are longer climbs and longer descents. In these types of races, you can quickly flip on/off the shock with the X-loc (and ideally your fork too, if you are going to get X-loc for your shock you might as well get one for your fork).

But short-track XC courses with lots of quick ups and downs are probably not suited for the X-loc, in that situation you would probably want an intermediate (pro-pedal or platform) setting so that you can just "set it and forget it" and focus on pedaling, shifting, and steering. But on these types of races are shorter events where I'm more likely to use my hardtail anyway...

It does add a bit to handlebar clutter, but the X-loc integrates nicely with the SRAM matchmaker system, it mounts right on top of your shifter, its the cleanest integration of a button that I've seen...

mtbr member
    So does anyone know if this really has no threshold damping when unlocked? Fully open?
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

www.roostersbikersedge.com
    http://www.ENVEcomposites.com

mtbr member
    Are they even available yet?

mtbr member
    JHK ran one on his SF100 at worlds

mtbr member
    The XX rear shock is now available.

Has anyone ridden one yet ?

I've been wanting one since i first read about them.

Push button to fully lock, push again to have it fully open with rebound dampening.

Perfect

wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by brentos View Post
    So does anyone know if this really has no threshold damping when unlocked? Fully open?
    You are correct, no threshold damp- just open

Quote Originally Posted by packfill View Post
    Are they even available yet?
    Should be. We have received them for the team. JHK used one again at Sea Otter last weekend. I have played with one extensively as well. For general trail riding, I will stick with my Monarch 3 way, but for racing on courses with loads of long climbing, the XX is nice. Rock Shox debuted an XX shock this past weekend with no hydro remote lock out also- new rebound circuit as well. About to go hit the trail today to try it out

mtbr member
    Agree with pretty much everything that has bee said here. I thing this shock would be great. I have Xloc on my fork and love it. Full squish for the rough stuff and can instantly go full lock-out for climbs and certain technical situations without taking my hands off the bars. But like others said, not crazy about the extra clutter on the handle bars. Hmmm...

mtbr member
    Matt:

Any pics of a monarch XX setup ?

I understand they come with the left remote only which seems a bit strange as the forks are offered with left or right remotes....

Mounting the monarch remote on the left will mean moving the fork remote to the right which isn't an ideal setup.

Bro Mountainbiker
    They should do 1 button that controls your fork lockout and your rear suspension. That would be boss and might convince me to try a FS bike.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffster View Post
    Matt:

I understand they come with the left remote only which seems a bit strange as the forks are offered with left or right remotes....

Mounting the monarch remote on the left will mean moving the fork remote to the right which isn't an ideal setup.
    why couldnt u swap to a right remote on the shock, pretty easy to do. my previous sid xx fork came with left remote, my new 2012 sid xx came with right remote...seems that is possibly the direction they are going with (right for fork, left for shock)

mtbr member
    The shock remote is different to the fork remote, the fork remotes have the gold dial for adjusting the blowoff, the shock doesn't. Im not sure if the shock would be compatible with the fork remote.

With your fork remote on the right how tight is the cable loop ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    not tight at all, i'm not a big fan of remote lock outs but couldnt find just the world cup so had to go xx. using the match maker stuff i find myself hitting that pushbutton on accident, it's kind of in the way for me. they should offer xx both ways, for a real light option with no remote.

wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    They should do 1 button that controls your fork lockout and your rear suspension. That would be boss and might convince me to try a FS bike.
    Watch out for this in the very near future...

Matt:

I understand they come with the left remote only which seems a bit strange as the forks are offered with left or right remotes..
    I have had both right and lefts on the team bikes but when we were at Sea Otter I was told only lefts also. I need to sift through my pics to see if I have JHK's set up. There will also be a Monarch XX shock minus the remote. 3 way with one of them being completely locked. That is what I am playing with now. So far so good.

mtbr member
    I talked to a rockshox guy about the double remote, said it was going to be hard to do as the fork and shock use different amounts of fluid pressure or something to work.

A monarch xx without remote - won't that just be a RT3 or whatever ?

wrench
    I talked to a rockshox guy about the double remote, said it was going to be hard to do as the fork and shock use different amounts of fluid pressure or something to work.

A monarch xx without remote - won't that just be a RT3 or whatever ?

We'll see...

No, an XX shock is complete lock out. An RT3 does not completely lock solid.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mattomoto View Post
    We'll see...

No, an XX shock is complete lock out. An RT3 does not completely lock solid.
    If you hit the blow off on the shock/fork is it bad for it in any way?

I assume this shock has a blow off that's set high enough that you can stand without triggering it. Is that correct?

mtbr member
    Yeah would like to know how hard the preset threshold is too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    Fox are offering a linked remote lockout system on their 2013 shocks. The 2013 Fox handlebar remote controls both the fork and rear shock lockouts.

FOX 2013: New CTD Damper, 34 Forks And More - BikeRadar

2013 FOX Suspension CTD Damper - First Ride - Pinkbike.com

It's something that Scott have had on their bikes for a few years too. The handlebar mounted TwinLoc remote lockout on a 2012 Scott Spark allows you to control both shocks simultaneously with one lever. The DT Swiss Nude 2 rear shock can be set to either full open 100mm travel, a 70mm "traction" mode and then full locked mode. The same lever also controls the Rock Shox Sid fork's damper, switching between its full open, platform and locked out modes at the same time as the rear shock modes change.

2012 Scott Spark – First Look - BikeRadar

2012 Scott Spark Mountain Bike Ride Review & Tech Report - Bike Rumor

You've also got the Specialized brain shocks, although that's more of a set and forget system. The advantage of the Specialized brain shock is that you don't have to remember to unlock your shocks if you suddenly encounter an unexpected bumpy section or before descending. The Specialized brain shocks do have some downsides of course, especially the forks.
    Last edited by WR304; 05-03-2012 at 06:48 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I know this would have been amazing to have for the Cohutta 100 NUE race I did a few weeks back. Man would of been worth its weight in gold.

It would probably be great for Syllamo 125 as well, lock it for the crazy technical uphills and unlock it for the crazy technical downhills.

But..On a normal trail I think not having platform would kinda stink. I keep my RT3 in the full on position 100% of the time. This is on a Cannondale 29 Scalpel.

But it might keep me from switching to the Flash full time and ditching the Scalpel.

No Platform stinks, why not just take the RT3 and add the lockout.

mtbr member
    Getting the remote to work all the functions of the RT3 would be impossible.

I suppose it depends on your riding and how you ride. For me the XX is perfect, i can lock it when on the roads ( i ride to my trails) lock it on the climbs then have it fully open for the fun bits on the downs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast