mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Road to Mtb Shoe Conversion

Here's my dilemma. I'm an Xterra (off road triathlon) athlete and am looking for an option for shoes. Typically road triathlons have special bike shoes that are easy to slip on quickly and when your hands are shaking and numb from swimming. There are a limited set of true off road tri shoes that are off the wall expensive and I was hoping to keep things a little cheaper. Is there anyway I can "convert" normal road tri shoes to mtb by gluing rubber to the sole or something?

Endurance Junkie
    Sep 2005
    If you're not within 30 seconds of winning the race I wouldn't worry about it. I just use my normal mtb shoes for Xterra and so does just about everyone else.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Do your normal road tri shoes even have holes for the proper cleats? Road and MTB cleats are very different, that's the first thing I would think of.

I have several teammates that do Xterras (and place quite well) and they use just normal MTB shoes

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Why would you need to glue something to the shoe.

If you are able to ride the whole course without walking then using your road shoes and pedals should work fine. Road Pedals are typically harder to get into/out of. They will also change your seat height so don't just switch them the day before the race. If the 30 Seconds it takes to get the shoes on is that critical to you then run the road pedals. Otherwise I agree with the other posters just stick with your Normal MTB set-up
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I don't actually have mtb shoes (I just agreed to buy a used pair today) was hoping to keep things simple and stick to only one shoe but I couldn't make that happen.

mtbr member

Road to Mtb Shoe Conversion

You can easily glue some tread onto the sole of a road shoe. It should be ok unless you have to do lots of walking.

The attached picture shows Lance Armstrong's shoes from the 2010 Leadville 100 race. He used the same shoe as his normal road shoes, only with a walking sole glued onto the bottom.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Road to Mtb Shoe Conversion-imageuploadedbytapatalk-hd1371066791.270262.jpg  

mtbr member
    Maybe think of it the other way around, and attach a loop to the heel of your mtb shoes to make them easier to pull on?

mtbr member
    If your mtb has SPD pedals, then this might work ... provided your road shoes work with 2-bolt cleats

Nashbar Tourmalet Road Pedal Replacement Cleats - Normal Shipping Ground
    Name:  NS-TRMC-NCL-FLAT.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  25.5 KB
    Joe
    Chicago, IL