mtbr member

road or mountain saddle?

What do you use? I have a WTB Speed V Pro Gel saddle on my hard tail right now itís a really nice I got it last year. But since moving to Colorado Im riding much steeper decants and im having trouble getting behind the saddle. Im wondering if going to a road saddle would fix my problem? I have San Marco's Aspide saddles on the road bikes and im wondering how it would work on the hardtail?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I ride the aspide on ALL my bikes - it's the only saddle that works for me...

I love Pisgah
    All your light race style saddles are roadie-ish to me. The only thing I've had problems with, is the sharp edges some have(like the otherwise comfy SLR, or maybe the carbon shelled Aspides) snag lycra at the worst times, like when descending technical and your behind the saddle.

Having said that, I've raced/ridden the Aspide many times on a few of my mtbs. No worries.

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser
    What do you use? I have a WTB Speed V Pro Gel saddle on my hard tail right now itís a really nice I got it last year. But since moving to Colorado Im riding much steeper decants and im having trouble getting behind the saddle. Im wondering if going to a road saddle would fix my problem? I have San Marco's Aspide saddles on the road bikes and im wondering how it would work on the hardtail?
    i use the same saddle on 5 (2 road, 2 mtn, 1 commuter) out of 6 of my bikes: Serfa Arc Dual Density Pro women's saddle...the pre 2002 version. i think it's a mtb saddle but i really don't know. all i care about is that it's comfortable. oh, and i have no trouble at all getting behind my saddle...

rt
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Saddle

Its probably the change in terrain thats making you bounce around; not your saddle. Ride whats comfy. Ive used Specialized Avatar on my road and mountain bikes and all that counts there is comfy and blood circulating where its supposed to.

mtbr member
    I didn't know there was difference between mountain and road saddles. I believe they are just "saddles". A saddle made by a MTB company doesn't make it an "MTB saddle"; I believe WTB never had that in mind.

I think bike geometry is more important in getting behind the saddle than type of saddle. Unless your using this saddle:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...egory_ID=10051

Shorter effective top tube length (including stem length) optionally combined with higher bars relative to seat height is easier for getting behind the saddle.

BTW, I use an old Selle Italia Nitrox saddle. No problem getting behind it.

mtbr member
    Nice pic.

Quote Originally Posted by *rt*
    i use the same saddle on 5 (2 road, 2 mtn, 1 commuter) out of 6 of my bikes: Serfa Arc Dual Density Pro women's saddle...the pre 2002 version. i think it's a mtb saddle but i really don't know. all i care about is that it's comfortable. oh, and i have no trouble at all getting behind my saddle...

rt

mtbr member
    There actually is a difference in mountain and road saddles. Mountain tend to be shorter and wider in the rear. Road usually are a little longer in the nose and thinner over all. My wtb is a mountain bike specific saddle.

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser
    Nice pic.

thanks. photo credit goes to sportsman.

rt
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

Do It Yourself
    I wouldn't buy a saddle for mtb without kevlar corners. Unless of course you never crash...

That said, the Speed V is fairly wide. You can certainly find a narrower saddle without going to a roadie.
    Long Live Long Rides

Members who have read this thread: 0