mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Restless legs at night....This is crazy

I don't know what this is all about but lately (after some rides but not always and only this season) I will go to bed and wake up in the middle of the night with my legs on fire. It feels as if they are asleep ( the feeling of little pin pricks or needles) as if blood flow has been restricted. I mean I feel it in my glutes down my hamstrings and calves across over on the tops of my ankles and up my shins. Many times I have to break out the NSAIDS to get back to sleep. Once I stand up it does not feel that bad. But horizontal...forget about it. Then in the morning it is mostly gone-just a little sore.The only thing I am doing more of this year than in past seasons is more training on the road bike. Anyway, I wish I knew what this is and to combat the issue. Anyone out there experience this at all.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    I also had that problem before. One aspirin before bed and the circulation improved to the point the problem is now non-existent. After taking a hot shower- do a final rinse in the coldest water you can tolerate...also greatly improves the circulation. One NSAID upon waking and before bed, will thin your syrupy blood, which is the problem you and I have.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Iron Deficiency?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/fitness/?...9/letters04-30
    Check this link on Iron deficiency. This doesn't happen to me but I stumbled across this the other day. Maybe it will help.

Brant-C.
    i'd get referred to a sports medicine doctor...just to make sure everything is okay.
    I just like riding my mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I sometime get this as well, just not to the extreme that my legs feel "asleep" just squirmy like I need to stretch or run some stairs, something to get the blood flowing in the gams.

"One NSAID upon waking and before bed, will thin your syrupy blood, which is the problem you and I have."

Does this mean that you think it's a hydration related problem?

MTB B'dos
    For me it is actually because I don't stretch enough and have very tight ligaments/muscles. Once I'm on a good stretching routine I don't experience it.

Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker
    I sometime get this as well, just not to the extreme that my legs feel "asleep" just squirmy like I need to stretch or run some stairs, something to get the blood flowing in the gams.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    I have Restless Legs Syndrome. I take a Magnesium supplement morning and night.
    Now I get RLS very rarely.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    ...Thanks everyone for the great feedback. I had thought about the possibility of magnesium and/or iron deficiencies too. Maybe a cal/mag supplement is in order. I probably need a massage as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gnriden
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/fitness/?...9/letters04-30
    Check this link on Iron deficiency. This doesn't happen to me but I stumbled across this the other day. Maybe it will help.
    My wife is a physician and she briefly suffered from restless leg syndrome. In her case, it was due to an iron deficiency.

Crash Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatshowiroll
    I have Restless Legs Syndrome. I take a Magnesium supplement morning and night.
    Now I get RLS very rarely.
    Like Thatshowiroll, you might have Restless Leg Syndrome (although only 1 of many possible causes for what you're experiencing). You can read up on treatments for it here:

http://www.rls.org.au/index.php?page...79180881efe688

Good Luck
    Quote Originally Posted by joehspicer @msn.com
    Your no longer a virgin... and your ass hurts?
    I think you're doing something wrong there

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    A few years back, I had a combo case of Restless leg and severe insomnia( less than 1 hours sleep a night, if any).
    Some Dr.'s said one caused the other, some said it was a result of allergies.
    A local natural Dr told me to try ZMA ( zinc and mag)....it cured me.It really helps me with sleep.
    It is available in most health/vitamin stores....if you have a Vitamin Shoppe near by, their house brand is a good deal.
    But...it can be the sign of other problems...check with a DR you trust.