57mtb
    Jun 2007

red line heat rate

help me out. i'm a weekend rider average 3 times a week 10 - 15 mile rides with a mix hills single track I get that done in 1 hour plkus pending on the ride.
    age 50, 148 lbs, max rate 180,
    try to maintain an average rate 140 150.
    I have been racing in a weekly series 5 mile loop 80% fire road 20% single track. It's pretty much middle and big ring riding, Time trail format, leading rider is doing 24 minute loops,
    I'm at 28 minutes.
    My heart rate is redline for the entire 28 minutes, can't seem to relax.
    I don't have a road bike to train on nor to I have a riding buddy to help.
    without contracting carmichael any insight ?
    thanks

Mythical Creature
    28 minute effort? It SHOULD be at maximum capcity!

Why not?
    follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I have never got any professional advice on heart rates and I don't have any race experience, but from what I've read on the internet, I would say that your "average" hr of 140-150 is a bit too much.
    If you're 50, your mhr should be around 170. If you've measured it to be 180, that's fine, but you're still actually above 80% of your mhr at 150 bpm. I think you should keep a pace at around 125-135 and save some energy for short blasts and steep hills.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefanos
    I have never got any professional advice on heart rates and I don't have any race experience, but from what I've read on the internet, I would say that your "average" hr of 140-150 is a bit too much.
    If you're 50, your mhr should be around 170. If you've measured it to be 180, that's fine, but you're still actually above 80% of your mhr at 150 bpm. I think you should keep a pace at around 125-135 and save some energy for short blasts and steep hills.
    Everyone's physiology is different, and no formula can predict everyone's HR.
    My last race my average for a1:20 minute race was 178, and my max was 190. I'm 41.
    These are not unusual numbers for me.

Being 4 minutes slower than the winner is nothing to sneeze at though. He/she probably trains 5 or 6 days a week at a higher intensity.
    If you want to get faster, try bumping up your rides from 3 to 4 or 5 times a week.

mtbr member
    For such a short effort race to have your heartrate at max is fine. Your body should be capable of maintaining an anarobic rate for such a short time. Are you feeling fatigued after the race? All your base training will make it possible for you to ride at this pace.

I've done a 3 hour race averaging 185 becsuae of base training.

http://http://matthewspak.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Those numbers seem reasonable, especially during a race. You will hit your anaerobic numbers ('redline') when racing so not to worry.

An avg. rate of 140-150 when riding is fine...that's around 60-70% or so (right?).

Train @ threshold (again, 'redline') once a week (seeing that you get out about 3x/wk).

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I think the fear/adrenaline/excitement of a race raises your heart rate much higher than normal training rides. I wore my heart rate monitor at short track races the last two weeks. When I looked down mid way through the race my heart rate was pinned at 192. The highest I ever see during training is ~180, even during extended all-out efforts.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    for a 28 min race, you shouldn't be relaxing or settling in.

you max HR seems high for you age, but that doesn't mean much. you should be racing at you LT for a TT anyways.

mtbr member

definition of redline (for me)

Quote Originally Posted by 57mtb
    help me out. i'm a weekend rider average 3 times a week 10 - 15 mile rides with a mix hills single track I get that done in 1 hour plkus pending on the ride.
    age 50, 148 lbs, max rate 180,
    try to maintain an average rate 140 150.
    I have been racing in a weekly series 5 mile loop 80% fire road 20% single track. It's pretty much middle and big ring riding, Time trail format, leading rider is doing 24 minute loops,
    I'm at 28 minutes.
    My heart rate is redline for the entire 28 minutes, can't seem to relax.
    I don't have a road bike to train on nor to I have a riding buddy to help.
    without contracting carmichael any insight ?
    thanks
    The following is my opinion and I am certainly no coach...

I am 49 and my average heart rate in a 1-2 hr race is usually 173 with my most recent maximum at 189. Given these #'s I have assumed that my maximum sustainable effort is that which gives rise to a heart rate of 173 bpm. If I go above this to many times or by too much during a race/ride/time trial, then my power output at 173 bpm drops by about half for the remainder of the effort. This is the way I define redline-going above the heart rate at maximum sustainable effort, resulting in my physiology crashing. If you think your heart rate is too high, but you can maintain your effort at that heart rate with no physiological consequences or drop in power output, then you may not really be at the redline for you.

On the other hand, if you are charging the first 14 minutes and soft pedaling the second 14 minutes while sucking air- then yes, you need to work on pacing in addition to more saddle time. In addition, you might look into adding some training intensity at or near race pace, that being the pace which gives a heart rate you see during your races. Search "Dave Morris" on this forum for training approaches that may give good results for people with limited time. Of course, your doctor should give the ticker a clean bill...

mtbr member

mix it up

i would not really worry about your MAX HR. and the point of racing is to be the fastest you can be for the entire race, that means pacing for the allotted time/distance and conditions. but, for a 28 minute race, that mean close to full out the entire time.

racing feels pretty uncomfortable for most of us, that is just the nature of pushing yourself that hard.

i would suggest that you change up you riding a little bit. try to spend more time on the bike 1 time every week and keep you hr lower on that ride (120s). then one other ride, do some intervals at race pace or harder to push up your LT, start with 3 or 4 intervals of 60-90 seconds at max effort. Slowly increase the number of intertervals up to 6 or 7 and if you feel you can, increase the length of the intervals to 3 minutes. recover completely between each interval. also take a rest week every 3rd or 4th week. only EASY riding.

overall it sounds like you are doing well.
    good luck!