Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Recommend me some new shoes!

I had a set of Specialized Pro MTB shoes that were stolen earlier this week, so now I'm in the market for a new pair of race day shoes. I'd be OK with the Specialized again, but I would like some opinions on what else is out there in my price range of ~ $300. The Mavic Fury has caught my eye so far...

2013 Cannondale Scalpel 29er 1x10
    2012 Seven ti 29er SS rigid
    2012 Seven steel 29er SS rigid
    Southern Maryland Crew

Fat-tired Roadie
    Sidi, of course. Whichever one costs your budget.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    someone else makes good shoes other than Specialized?

i have owned sidi, shimano, and specialized. nothing measures up to my Sworks MTB shoes.
    My wife's website....
    Allison Mann

Fat-tired Roadie
    LOL. I got Specialized shoes recently because Sidi has abandoned my pricepoint. I'm impressed. It's definitely going to effect my buying decisions when I can afford Sidis again.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    The new Giros fit and feel better for me than any of the Sidi or Spec shoes I have owned

Team Awesome
    Sidi's last forever, though.

I was lucky enough to win a pair of Dragon's in a contest last year, after buying a pair the year before. Both pairs of shoes have seen plenty of miles, and are both doing way better than the cleats on the bottoms of those shoes.

I heard from a shop guy here in town that even though the Specialized shoes are awesome and fit really well, they have a tendency to break quickly. I'm not saying that, I just heard a guy say it. So it must be true.

mtbr member
    I just bought the Shimano M315's and like them so far. A little loose, but otherwise, they fit well.

I DID NOT like my last pair of Sidi's. Something happen on the way to Romania.

I have the Specialized Swork road shoes and they fit great. The Shimano's fit similarly, but are just a little loose on the fore foot area. The Sworks fit so good, I don't really need to tighten up the BOA strap.

Too bad I can't get a deal on them any more. (I was borderline ready to pay full retail on them, i like them that much).
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

banned
    Love my Pearl Izumi PRO MTB shoes. Have 2 pair now, training set and a race set. Lightest shoe I have had and the training set just entered year number 3.

Schwizzle
    Apr 2006
    northwave rebel sbs

have older northwave lizzard pro's with the mesh screen(almost the exact same as the new rebel) on the front and they keep my feet cooler than any oher shoe I've tried

mtbr member
    Mavic Fury's are great!! Sole is softer than Sidi & Spec. Provide A LOT more grip if you have to walk a section. Much better and really comfortable.

aka 'Grover'
    Whatever you do try them on before you buy them. Walk around a bit, if possible do a few minutes on a bike (most shops won't allow this).

Someone saying X shoe is comfortable means nothing to you.
    For me Specialized fit very well. Shimano fits well. Sidi and Mavic don't fit at all.

Someone saying X shoe fell apart in a certain amount of time, or I had a problem with Y shoe is beneficial. There are good stories and bad stories about all the big brands.

You were happy with Specialized, I'd just stick with them. Sidi, shimano, northwave, mavic, giro, gaerne, diadora all make great shoes but they all fit differently. Try before you buy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Poncharelli View Post
    I just bought the Shimano M315's and like them so far. A little loose, but otherwise, they fit well.
    Have you given your pair of 315s the oven/vacuum treatment? It seems to make a big difference to the comfort IMO. I use 2 inner soles in all my shoes as I have "shallow" arches, which also snugs them up a little more.

I have a pair of M300s (about 2 years old now) and they're still the stiffest sole I've ever used - great for most races. Not so handy when the course requires a dismount or carry section though...

I've been using the M315 for about 6 months now and really like them - the front of the sole has a little more flex, making any off-bike excursions much nicer. Only complaint is the velcro on the straps is quite fine, and once wet doesn't stick all that well - I tape mine shut for any wet races.

I've just changed from Sidi Ergo 2 to Shimano R315 on the road, and love the Shimano feel much more than the Sidi, that's for sure. I guess shoes are a very subjective thing though...

Primative Screwhead
    Diadora Pro Trail II. The carbon soled Black/Neon Green ones.

Very stiff, very light, well-thought out effective armouring, soft grippy tread, re-buildable ratchet, multi position strap, spare parts available, cheap on CRC.

All this coming from a SIDI carbon road shoe owner...

Only downside is that, when new, they are really bright
    Ego maniacs please object to my posts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by monolith View Post
    Have you given your pair of 315s the oven/vacuum treatment? It seems to make a big difference to the comfort IMO. I use 2 inner soles in all my shoes as I have "shallow" arches, which also snugs them up a little more.
    No I haven't yet. I didn't see any instructions for that process. How did you know the process? Or is it something that has to be done at a dealer? (that's what i thought).

The shoes have been really, really good so far. I'll probably add the little arch pads and see how they feel. That might snug them up a little more as well. I have high arches, but narrow feet.

To reiterate, my last pair of SIDI's were a POS. I had a pair of Sidi Dominators in 2001-2003 and absolutely loved them (broke them in an accident, in which I also broke my toe). So comfortable. The second pair i bought in '07 just sucked. Didn't fit the same, the sole didn't have the same longevity, and towards the end, developed lots of hot spots during long rides. The only difference I saw in the shoe was that it was made in Romania, and not in Italy.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

Big B's Trails
    Gaerne... nuff said
    I dig dirt!

psycho cyclo addict
    The relatively humble and cost effective Shimano MO86's are my fav for cooler or rocky/technical rides and Lake I/O SDL's for hot weather. They've been discontinued (MO87's replace them) but are still available at many of the online sites.

I bought a pair of Sidi Dominator's a few months back and I am not impressed at all. The heel is quite narrow- you can twist your ankle and fall on your arse quite easily. They fit quite well on my foot but I have to tighten them generally once or more during every ride. Also they creak and squawk a lot when I am clipped in to my SPD pedals- my other shoes do not at all. In my view they are over-priced and hyped blingwear.

Some of the trails where I live require a bit of hike a bike. Sidi's are definitely not well suited to that task either as compared to my other shoes.

Team Awesome
    Maybe the Dragon's are in a league of their own. Like ladies baseball.

I haven't had any problems, and the shoes seem pretty darn durable - I'm hard on stuff, and mine are holding up well. I think the SRS soles might be better than the plasticy dominator soles.

My next pair of shoes will be the Spider SRS shoes - they're slightly less expensive, and supposedly even more durable, with the sole I love from the dragons.

Team Awesome
    PS. Asking about shoes is like asking about "which girl is prettiest."

Many different opinions - but only one answer - the redhead.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Sidi, of course. Whichever one costs your budget.
    I was stubborn and kept trying the SIDI route. They just never worked for ME. Extremely uncomfotable compared to my Specialized PRO shoes that I used for SIX seasons!

Now on S Works and love 'em. I wish they would do them in velcro straps/ratchet though. The techiness of the cool boa system scares me a bit..

I keep a spare boa internal in the bag which seems silly..

Also, the carbon fiber is way too exposed on the toe end of the shoe. I smashed the front end on a rock and had to repair it with epoxy after my first ride in them....argh!

Also, considering the "gram war" among all high end shoes, the metal spikes that come with SWORKS are a joke. They are heavy and there is no alternative AFAIK. I am in S. Cal. where techy hike-a-bike sections are very uncommon imo..

Also...VERY pricey. If you don't have a shop hook up, then whoa on the $$. This is true for all high end shoes from Gaerne to SWORKS though.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by playpunk View Post
    PS. Asking about shoes is like asking about "which girl is prettiest."

Many different opinions - but only one answer - the redhead.
    How many seasons does a redhead last for?

Team Awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post
    How many seasons does a redhead last for?
    8, so far. But she's an "ultrarunning" model, so she's built for an extended lifespan, so I expect another 50 or so solid years.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Sidi Dragon II and Specialized Pro Carbon. Love them both.

Have had S-works in the past as well.

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by playpunk View Post
    8, so far. But she's an "ultrarunning" model, so she's built for an extended lifespan, so I expect another 50 or so solid years.
    No stretch marks or sagging goin on?

Team Awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown View Post
    No stretch marks or sagging goin on?
    Nope. She's a resilient lass.

likes to ride bikes
    SIDI Dominator 5s fit my size 51s well. Several parts subject to wear like the screw plate and buckle are replaceable so I'll continue wearing them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast