Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Rear Tire Recommendations 29er Tubeless

Riding roots and hard-packed, I tend more towards the drier days, I'm not a mud rider. I recently got a WTB Bronson Race for the front, I was looking to get something faster and lighter in the rear, still good on cornering.

As I said tubeless 29er.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    I really like my racing ralphs. A lot of people run the rocket ron also.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'll start off with my old rocket ron on my rear, but it has given me issues in the front. I hear schwalbe is no good tubeless.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    What about Maxxis Ikon

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I do really like that tire, and I've read a good bit about it. But am seeking alternatives also.

Knob scrubber

Re: Rear Tire Recommendations 29er Tubeless

I like the ikons, continental x-kings are also good though.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    Real men do it in the dirt

Gumnut Peddler
    I am running maxxis crossmark on the rear as tubeless. Have also run RaRa and RoRo's but not as tubeless. So far I like the crossmark much better.

Better price and same amount of grip as the Schwalbe for the loose over hard pack riding.
    If there is mud on the trail, the crossmark will get a little 'toey' coming out of the turns under power but in a predictable kind of way.
    Burning fat, not oil.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I was really impressed with the Crossmark design. They seem fast i.e. low rolling resistance.

And for the X-king, I would use that up front, but from what I read, at the same weight, the Bronson is hard to beat.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I just mounted up a Snakeskin Rocket Ron. It seated with a floor pump and held air overnight with no sealant. Easiest tubeless setup I've experienced so far.

mtbr member
    For dry trails: 1. Front-Continental X-King; Rear-Continental Race King;
    2. Front-Schwalbe Rocket Ron; Rear-Schwalbe Racing Ralph.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drider85 View Post
    What about Maxxis Ikon
    Ikon EXO 2.2 is my rerar tire of choice. Sets up easy tubeless and has been dead reliable in two seasons of racing on the rockiest terrain in the mid Atlantic.
    2014 Yeti Arc XO1
    2012 Seven ti 29er SS
    2012 Seven steel 29er SS rigid

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I like Bontrager XR1 x 2.00 @ 440g.

In dry races will be mounting XR0 x 1.9 @ 400g

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm liking these suggestions. Any word on WTB Nano?

I'd rather be riding
    I like the Bonty 29-1 2.2. I run them front and rear most of the race season.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rnm410 View Post
    I hear schwalbe is no good tubeless.
    Where did you hear that? This will be my third season running racing ralphs tubeless. Only one slow leak so far, and no flats.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Conti race king in the rear
    Schwalbe racing Ralph in the front

Bro Mountainbiker
    Hardpack warrants low and fast tread, and rooty trail warrants higher volume and lower pressure.

What is your preferred tire size? I am in the "bigger is better" boat when it comes to really rooty trail(2.3-2.4). I also ride a rigid bike.

High volume, Maybe Racing ralph 2.35-2.4s... Not the smallest tread, but very fast
    Medium, I would check out Race King 2.2 (actually meausre 2.25)
    fairly low volume, Ikon 2.2 (actually measure 2.15)

All of these are fast tires on hardpack.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    Hardpack warrants low and fast tread, and rooty trail warrants higher volume and lower pressure.

What is your preferred tire size? I am in the "bigger is better" boat when it comes to really rooty trail(2.3-2.4). I also ride a rigid bike.

High volume, Maybe Racing ralph 2.35-2.4s... Not the smallest tread, but very fast
    Medium, I would check out Race King 2.2 (actually meausre 2.25)
    fairly low volume, Ikon 2.2 (actually measure 2.15)

All of these are fast tires on hardpack.
    Thank you, I've been analyzing tire setups people have posted to get the "formula". This helps much.

I'm very new to my bike, I haven't had much trail time- maybe two dozen rides? And yes, I'm on a hardtail.

What I've Used and Learned
    I've only used my 2.25 Rocket Ron's, I really do like them: climbing, resistance, braking, wear... But I have noticed a few times the front slipping out on turns. That may be my mistake, as I have not found the right pressure yet, nor am I running tubeless. And I'm bad on "trail flow" I hit all the roots, but am still able to keep up with the "team racer" guys.

What I Need
    That being said anything to improve my confidence in corners, maintain my speed, and eat roots is what I'm looking for. (Specifications)

What I Have
    I ended up buying a WTB Bronson 2.2 Race, got it for $25, so no complaint. I will be using that front. From what I read, I should have no issue cornering, but it does not seem as fast as the RoRo.

What I Want
    I was hoping to pick up some speed and save some weight in the rear, all to my previous specifications.

And to answer your question, I cannot speak of what volume I want. I've only tried one tire. What are recommendations for rear? Is it important that the rear preform well over roots? Or is it a climbing and speed tire?

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    Thank you, I've been analyzing tire setups people have posted to get the "formula". This helps much.

I'm very new to my bike, I haven't had much trail time- maybe two dozen rides? And yes, I'm on a hardtail.

What I've Used and Learned
    I've only used my 2.25 Rocket Ron's, I really do like them: climbing, resistance, braking, wear... But I have noticed a few times the front slipping out on turns. That may be my mistake, as I have not found the right pressure yet, nor am I running tubeless. And I'm bad on "trail flow" I hit all the roots, but am still able to keep up with the "team racer" guys.

What I Need
    That being said anything to improve my confidence in corners, maintain my speed, and eat roots is what I'm looking for. (Specifications)

What I Have
    I ended up buying a WTB Bronson 2.2 Race, got it for $25, so no complaint. I will be using that front. From what I read, I should have no issue cornering, but it does not seem as fast as the RoRo.

What I Want
    I was hoping to pick up some speed and save some weight in the rear, all to my previous specifications.

And to answer your question, I cannot speak of what volume I want. I've only tried one tire. What are recommendations for rear? Is it important that the rear preform well over roots? Or is it a climbing and speed tire?
    I think it is more user error than tire error. The rocket ron tires you are using are some of the best tires for XC racing. Does that mean they are the best type of tire for your riding? I think you would answer this as no. I find the rons stick like glue to hardpack and I can corner extremely fast on them. Like you said you may not have found the right pressure or your riding style and the rons do not mesh well. You did say in an earlier post that you're still new without a lot of trail time. Most ron users have ridden a lot over the years.

With all of that said, I would try the Bronson on the front and the Ron in the rear. You want more grip in the front. I cannot tell you of a tire that would be lighter and faster than the ron in the rear. The other tires recommend here are fantastic, but they're all in the same category as the ron in terms of speed and weight. You may need more tread on your tires for grip since you're still newer to the sport or simply work on your flow.

I reread your post and if I were you I would go out alone and work on your flow. You're chasing "team racer" guys and my prediction is you're out of your comfort zone chasing these very fast riders because you're bashing into trail obstacles. A 2.25 Ron will eat roots about as well as any tire in that size unless you want to go w/ a bigger volume 2.4 etc and then you gain tire weight. I recommend working on your form when you're not chasing these very fast people. I think your tires are highly capable of what you're wanting to do.
    Last edited by Rod; 04-05-2013 at 08:15 PM.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Fakie1999 View Post
    "I hear schwalbe is no good tubeless."

Where did you hear that? This will be my third season running racing ralphs tubeless. Only one slow leak so far, and no flats.
    I'd like to know where he heard that as well. I've been tubeless on Schwalbe tires (Ralphs) since they first came out in 29"er size. Got my first ones back in 2007 - and they are still running today. Ralph 2.4's on my Karate Monkey tubeless.

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    I'd like to know where he heard that as well. I've been tubeless on Schwalbe tires (Ralphs) since they first came out in 29"er size. Got my first ones back in 2007 - and they are still running today. Ralph 2.4's on my Karate Monkey tubeless.
    1 in 3 of my friend's tires was bad last year. I believe it was warrantied though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Any word on WTB Nano?
    Why does the Nano(raptor) get no love? Its inexpensive ($35 for the folding), light (mine is 550 g), mounts easy tubeless (on my American Classic rims), wears like iron (4 years and running), and its a great rear for dry to tacky East Coast (my opinion).

For extremely rocky or rooty, a Crossmark might be a slightly better option.
    My other bike is a /7.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I am trying out a Specialized Ground Control 2.3 front and a Specialized Fast Track Control 2.2 rear. I was on The Captain (Control and S-works) last year. I liked The Captain in most situations but it had a bit of rolling resistance on hard pack. The Ground Control front is not quite as good hooking up as The Captain, but not bad if I run it at about 28psi. I run the Fast Track at 25psi and it is great so far. (This Fast Track is the newly redesigned one.) It holds the line, is compliant, and doesn't spin-up too much.

I ride the Southern Rocky Mountains of Northern New Mexico and a couple of trips up to Colorado, which has an overall damper soil character with less loose rock except down in Durango.

I used to ride Maxxis product and liked it. I haven't ridden it for a couple of years. I have no experience on Schwalbe tires.

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    One last thing that I thought of after reading this. You need to learn how to be smooth before being fast. If you're not smooth you're going to keep plowing into things and it will cause you to crash or bust stuff. By being smooth you will save more energy. Good luck to ya.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    After my morning business, I will give a report on my progress and reviews.
    Stay tuned.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast