Endurance Junkie
    Sep 2005

Rear Tire Recommendation for Mud/Wet Roots

I currently am running a Specialized Renegade Rear/Maxxis Ikon front and this combo works pretty well for me in dry conditions. However, it's been raining off and on for about a week now and is supposed to rain all weekend. I have a race on Sunday and am expecting wet roots and some muddiness. Any recommendations for a rear that would work a bit better in these conditions?

mtbr member
    Rocket Ron is by far the best XC racing tire in mud and roots.

Endurance Junkie
    Sep 2005
    RoRo seems to get very mixed reviews and I think it may be tough for me to get one for this weekend. Any other thoughts on what would work?

Tires I was looking at:
    Spec Ground Control (seems like good all-rounder)
    Maxxis Ignitor
    Maxxis Ardent

I could definitely get the Ground Control for this weekend but the Maxxis tires may be a special order for me.

OR would I be better off just riding the (less than ideal) tires I'm used to instead of riding a new tire on race day.

mtbr member
    It depends upon what you're riding in. If it's wet mud and roots, The Rocket Ron has race-caliber weight. The ones you listed are really trail bike tires and may be more slice-proof in sharp rocks. Here is the 29er tire weight database, you can see what I mean:

http://tinyurl.com/7vk2ugg

Remember that a tire with a grippy all-mountain tread may cake up with mud, making it much heavier. I'd recommend checking out the new Rocket Ron 2.1.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    A ground Control 2.1 front and rear would work well in the muck. Maxxis Beaver is also really good, if there aren't sharp rocks around.

Don't run the renegade in the wet, if it's sloppy. I've had decent luck with fast traks and even Ikons on wet roots and sandy wet soil.

I've also found Rocket Rons to work well in mud/wet, but they are thin... so you have to use them on the right courses.

Endurance Junkie
    Sep 2005
    I do have a Fast Trak that I can throw on the back if I can't find something that is a bit better.