mtbr member

Ready for a energy drink?

I think I'm ready for some sort of energy/calorie drink to mix in my water for the 100-140 minute rides. my legs feel like rubber and energy just hits a wall around 115 minutes after going 100% the first 90 mins. I'm thinking hammer heed or something stronger?

Drop in?... Anyone?
    heed is perfect.. for longer rides +2 hrs, use perpetuem in bottle #2 and #3
    "Money can't buy you happiness. But it can buy you a yacht and you can sail right up next to it!" David Lee Roth

mnoutain bkie rdier
    yeh. there are tons to choose from. also, water lacks proper electrolytes that the energy mixes provide which are just as important.

I have tried most products out there by now. I think HEED is decent. While I admire Hammer for their marketing efforts, I just got tired of it after a while and didn't want to be part of the Hammer "cult".

I am currently using GU Brew and like it. It really is a matter of finding what works for YOU. Some have caffeine in them to give you a bit of a kick also.

FasCat Coaching
    I'm a big fan of CarboRocket they have 2 different flavors standard (110 calories) and the Half Evil-333 (333 calories). I prefer the half-evil and like to go full strength for anything over 3 hours, but will dilute it for shorter rides. Doesn't seem to bother my stomach nor others who I've recommended to. I've used the hammer and accelerade stuff in the past and tended to get sticky and dry mouth when you are going hard.... cb doesn't seem to do that at least for me.
    FasCat Coaching
    Personalized Coaching for All Cyclists

Bro Mountainbiker
    Gatorade and eat some fruit.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    I used Hammer for awhile and never had problems with it. I bought a big jug of Cytomax last year because it was on sale and it's worked fine too.

I think eating something other than just drinking your calories is just as important. I just started making some of the portables from the Skratch lab cookbooks as a replacement for previously using shot bloks and other types like that. Just wanted to try to start using more real food on my rides instead of the packaged stuff - that's just personal preference.

I also use Sportslegs which I think work awesome. It is a "pill" but if you look it up and look at the ingredients there is nothing weird or crazy in there. There are 4 major ingredients: vitamin D, Magnesium, Calcium, and Lactate. It's supposed to reduce lactate build up and if taken after a real hard ride/race it's also supposed to reduce muscle soreness. I think it works, some people probably don't, just personal preference.
    "Like" the Brewery Ommegang facebook team page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-...18356588347806

mtbr member

Ready for a energy drink?

With your food and drink intake on the bike you're always eating for the future. What you do early on can have a large impact later on in the ride. There's a delay between ingesting food and it becoming available to your body as energy.

If you're blowing after 115 min try taking in some food from near the beginning of the ride. Eating small amounts little and often tends to work best. if you're trying hard its easier to get down and puts less strain on your stomach.

I like to break cereal bars into quarters and then have a piece every 15 minutes or so. (1 bar per hour). By having them broken up to begin with it makes it quick and easy to get out of your jersey back pockets whilst riding.

This review of sports drinks and exercise performance is quite interesting too.

Carbohydrates and exercise performance in non-fasted athletes: A systematic review of studies mimicking real-life

By Paolo C Colombani, Christof Mannhart and Samuel Mettler

Nutrition Journal 2013, 12:16 doi:10.1186/1475-2891-12-16

"Being conservative, however, we can state that with shorter duration events up to perhaps 70 min an ergogenic effect of carbohydrates ingested in the proximity of or during a performance bout is unlikely with trained (but not elite) male athletes in a real-life competition. The picture for longer durations is slightly more in favor than against the current consensus, but it is too heterogeneous for a solid conclusion. Definitely, there is a need for more and more comprehensively described studies to enlighten the current picture."

Full Text:
    http://www.nutritionj.com/content/12...t_view=classic
    Last edited by WR304; 04-27-2013 at 03:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    Gatorade and eat some fruit.
    +1.

You may want to try caffeine

Joe Friel's Blog: Coffee and Competition

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabe3 View Post
    my legs feel like rubber and energy just hits a wall around 115 minutes after going 100% the first 90 mins.
    Gabe - after thinking about your post

I am sure on the bike nutrition can help, but is it possible that it is a matter of pacing/conditioning? What I am saying is that after "100%" of any given time period your performance will decrease.

For example- in attached "sample" 'critical power chart', you can see the power drop off for longer time periods. Just an idea.

http://www.sporttracks-plugins.com/S..._selection.gif

mtbr member
    thanks. I see what your saying. I know it will decrease after a certain amount. but I want to make that amount longer. I'm happy my avg speed the first 18 miles. but want that avg to carry into the next 5 miles and eventually 30 total. hoping a energy drink will help with the next 5. we'll see, but I think its time to try something besides plain water.

I ordered the GU brew lime. $20 shipped it looked like best bang for buck with 35 servings. has a lot more sodium compared hammer heed and cytomax. the pomegranate flavor has double the sodium of lime and the other flavors which seems like a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottz123 View Post
    Gabe - after thinking about your post

I am sure on the bike nutrition can help, but is it possible that it is a matter of pacing/conditioning? What I am saying is that after "100%" of any given time period your performance will decrease.

For example- in attached "sample" 'critical power chart', you can see the power drop off for longer time periods. Just an idea.

http://www.sporttracks-plugins.com/S..._selection.gif