Fat-tired Roadie

Reading the heart rate zone table in MTB training bible

So I finally got a heart rate monitor, and I have a heart rate to base zones on. I'm a bit confused by Friel's table, though. The instructions are "Find your LT pulse (bold) in the "5a Zone" column. Read across, left and right, for training zones." Seems clear enough, but the 5a Zone column has a range. Do I want my LT heart rate to be in the middle of the range, or is it one of the extremes?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Fat-tired Roadie
    OK, found the answer. If anyone else is confused, read this.
    Joe Friel's Blog: A Quick Guide to Setting Zones

Basically, the first, lower number in the range is LTHR. So zone 5a is 100 to 102% of LTHR.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Which heart rate monitor did you go with ?

Fat-tired Roadie
    Polar RS 300X. A teammate had it sitting around after switching to a Garmin. I haven't had it that long, and I didn't want to throw a lot of money at the project until I see if I find it useful, and also what features I might want or not care about.

mtbr member
    Wouldn't it be best to get a VO2Max test done? That is really the only way to effectively use your HR zones right?

I added a HR monitor to my training a few months ago. I have found my intervals much more effective since doing so.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

Fat-tired Roadie
    Friel claims that a good self-administered LT test is good enough. Of course he has some skin in the game.

For myself, I'm not too worried about improving accuracy beyond that unless and until I can actually follow a plan for a season. Part of getting the heart rate monitor was that I've heard the cliche about amateur cyclists without monitors tending to go too hard on easy days and too easy on hard days and wondered if it applied to me. (It seems to.) So even if I don't have brilliant accuracy with what I've got, I think I'm still going to do better at following workouts.