Bro
    Where I do my thinking

Racing while sick/ill?

I don't know what it is, but I seem to have caught something nasty last weekend. I slept outside on the beach (~mid to low 40s?) in my mummy-style sleeping bag. It was a lot more humid than I'm used to (moved to Reno a month a half ago), so I'm thinking my lungs/throat were just irritated by something at the beach. I had two races on the day after I spent the night on the beach, and I did alright for a beginner. I had a slight cough in the morning, but I felt fine during the races. And then in the car ride home, I was coughing the entire time.

Fast forward to two days after the race. I went for a quick road ride, still with the cough in place. I felt fine, breathed fine, while riding, but when I slowed down my effort due to a nice tailwind, I immediately started hacking up a lung. Tried some puffs from my inhaler, did nothing. This morning I woke up and felt fine. After a shower, I became a fountain of mucus, both coughing it up and blowing it out of my nose.

I'm going for a quick ride right now to see how it goes, but what would you say about racing this weekend? I think I should be fine, but just seeing if anyone else rides/races with respiratory illnesses.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    I am fairly certain that if it is a chest cold now, that you should not race or tax your system physically. Rest up.

From what I recall, head colds are not so bad and one can race/train with one without doing much harm.

If it is in the chest and you continue to tax your system, then you may set yourself back even more with regards to future racing or training.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Mucinex is your friend. They have a liquid now so itll get in your system faster. If you think you are a fountain now, just wait. And ive always used the mindset while sick that "if you feel up to it, do it."
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

It's the axle
    Don't. I used to work in cardiology, and recall one of the nurses cautioning me against it. She said something along the lines that she had seen serious problems from doing it. I'm not sure if it was endocarditis or what. But I would let your body recover and repair.
    Note to self: 85% of FTP for 20 min.

mtbr member
    As a general guide for exercise and illness, consider this:

* Exercise is usually OK if your signs and symptoms are all "above the neck" symptoms you may have with a common cold, such as runny nose, nasal congestion, sneezing or minor sore throat. Consider reducing the intensity and length of your workout, though, or you may feel worse. Instead of going for a run, take a walk, for example.
    * Don't exercise if your signs and symptoms are "below the neck" such as chest congestion, hacking cough or upset stomach.
    * Don't exercise if you have a fever, fatigue or widespread muscle aches.

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg K View Post
    I'm not sure if it was endocarditis or what. But I would let your body recover and repair.
    Yea, I had a bout of pericarditis last fall... Cardiac catheter, ultrasound, the whole enchilada. The doctor thought it was likely due to a virus, as I'm in great shape due to cycling and all that stuff.

But what I'm reading from here all makes sense. I've always gone by the "symptoms from the neck up" rule too.

Of course I'd rather ride now, but I'd rather take a few days off now and recover than push through it and have to take a few weeks off later.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.