Thread: Racing on a SS

mtbr member

Racing on a SS

Hi, at 40 years old, I did my first races the past few weeks.

I had recently picked up a rigid SS 29er, so have been using that rather than my 5.5" 26 FS.

Since I am in the beginner class, it really doesn't matter much, but I am curious:

Is riding SS considered slower than a geared bike -long steep climbs and hammer'able downhill and flats being where they are at the disadvantage? Is that why there are separate classifications in expert+ races?

I'm taking a liking to this racing thing, and am competitive by nature ... so if I wanted to progress, its either within SS-only categories or add FS and gears?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If its anything like the series that I race in the SS class is full of former pro and expert riders who "Have not been riding much". Its a fast category with the top half of the group posting lap times that would make them competitive in the expert field.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    I am a beginner (2yrs) and a weekend warrior. I ride my SS almost exclusively due to the enjoyment. I have found that i am faster on my SS than i am on gear for nearly every trail i ride. I've done a couple local races and just entered my beginner class and ran my SS against the gears. The SS class was, as Pedalfaraway said, too quick for me to compete. In beginner class, i found the "rider vs rider" to be more correct rather than "SS vs gears". Ride what you enjoy and enjoy the competition.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    You can race any category you want on a SS. Some of our local fast guys can win the open pro category on SS, if no one really fast shows up. have fun and if you like it more, race it more. Good Luck!
    ATV = fat A$$