mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Racing Ralph 29 x 2.35 opinions

Anyone tried it as a front tire? I have the 2.25 on both the front and rear now and curious how the 2.35 would be on the front.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I've currently got a 2.35 Racing Ralph on the front wheel of two of my mountain bikes. I really like this tire a lot and so far it has held up really well for me, including in situations that have completely destroyed the tread on my rear tire (a Continental X-King).

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    How wide do those actually measure? I'm running a Ground Control 2.3 in front and I like the bigger tire in front, but it measures about 2.18. The X King 2.2 I have in the rear measures 2.15. I'm planning on running Ralphs next year, it looks like I would save some significant weight. I've been wondering what size(s) to get and this seems like a good opportunity to ask.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I love my current set-up of 2.35 RaRa on front, 2.25 RaRa snakeskin on rear. When I decided to try the snakeskins (after a few sidewall incidents) to increase longevity, I tried 2.25 front and rear but didn't feel as confident on front tire after being used to the 2.35 front. Not sure if it was the smaller size or the beefier sidewall but it didn't grip near as well as the 2.35 on the front.

Keep in mind, I am a 6'5", 230 pounder. So this setup works great for me on my FS Jet 9 RDO, but YMMV.

mtbr member
    I found the 2.35s to be overkill -- I found the weight tradeoff for the cush too noticeable, especially over long/hard rides. And there was a slight lag in the cornering - the knobs weren't biting as quick as I like. Having said that, I would run them on the front with a rigid fork.

I have 2.1s on my geared HT and I find those to be too thin and you have to run psi a bit higher, which ends up pinging you off roots and rocks.

The 2.25s on my SS are Goldilocks - just right - you can run them with enough volume (tubeless) that you won't hit rim, but soft enough that it smooths the trail. And I like cornering better with the 2.25s - the outside knobs grip immediately. Snakeskins are a must (at least here in the northeast).

IMO.
    Misfit diSSent ALC SS
    2014 Cdale F29 Team