mtbr member

Racing on a not so race bike

Anyone here race on a bike that doesn't have carbon fiber composite chain lube?

I currently ride a 2011 specialized enduro with 160mm of travel front and rear. It weighs 33 pounds and would give an XC racer a heart attack on sight. However, I ride frequently and it's made me strong. I used to ride a GT Sensor 29er and I finished top 3 in a cat 2 race. I don't ride to race but I seem to be kinda good at it by default.

I'm looking to purchase a more "racy" bike than my enduro and I'm loving the idea of a slack AM 29er ht or 26" ht that can still shred DH. I'm not looking to win the races in any way, just wanting to suffer less while doing them. Anyone here race on a slack AM hardtail? The bikes I have in my sights are a 26" transition transam/evil sovereign with a 160mm fork or a 29" kona honzo/diamondback mission with a 140mm fork. Whichever bike I get, will be run with a single chainring upfront and platform pedals. It's always nice to deal with all the snotty comments, get across the finish line and see the jaws drop by people wearing their soccer cleats to races!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Put yourself over much?

banned
    Race what you want and I won't feel bad when this mid 40's, out of shape, soccer cleat wearing old man beats you by an hour.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I feel like there's a negative vibe in replies to the OPs post. Geez guys...

I have a 26" trance. 5" front and rear. I would love a FS 4" 29er but cant afford it. I've only raced once, loved it, and have a new years reso to participate in my local areas 3 main endurance races. 6/9/24hrs. I'll be doing it on the trance. While 120 seems more efficient than your 160 I still say ride what you got, and test ride everything till you pull the trigger. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Good luck on the search!
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoraa View Post
    I feel like there's a negative vibe in replies to the OPs post. Geez guys...
    The OP's post has some serious "I'm better than you because my bike is heavier than yours and I use flat pedals and, presumably, baggies" vibe going on.

A bike with a decent suspension setup is not really going to hold you back no matter how slack the HT or how much suspension you have. Joey Schusler (pro DH) placed very well in every discipline, even XC, at collegiate nats this year on one bike, an AM Yeti.

I started by winning my first race on a 30+ pound Trek 3700. You want to know how many comments I got? none, Except, "that's a pretty entry level bike to be winning races on" and "do you want to join my team?" A crappy attitude manifest itself in how people see and react to you as well as how you perceive their reaction and interaction.

mtbr member
    Wow, you must be a total badass!!
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Used to race my Cannondale Jekyll that weighed over 30lbs, Ive won a few Expert/ Cat 1 races on that bike, I've also raced some DH's and Super D races on that same bike. I've also raced open Cat 1 singlespeed as an "old guy" (mid 40's) on my ss bike, (usually when I mention that I race/ ride singlespeed, people look at you like your nuts) so take my words with a grain of salt.
    That all being said, I now race Cat 1 XC, 50+ on a SC Blur XCc set up with 650b wheels and just love the bike, doing very well in my races.
    You will be faster on a lighter bike, as long as it fits and is setup as you like for your style of riding.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Do you need us to justify your hardtail purchase? Just buy one if you want to "shred downhill" and goof off at races.
    And for the record, you wont suffer any less on a hardtail, you just go faster.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    as it has many stated before, the engine is much more important than the equipment. Only when all else is equal does equipment really matter, i.e. professional riders.

mtbr member
    Sheepo5669: And for the record, you wont suffer any less on a hardtail, you just go faster.

Exactly!
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track