mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Racing Etiquette..

So i hurt myself and couldn't race with my brother. I want to be there to support him and decided to ride a couple lap with him. It's a 24hr race. Is it wrong riding the course w/o a number plate?
    12' Sir9 Rigid
    11' Jabber Rigid
    10 SJ SS rigid
    10' Swork SS 29er
    10' Tallboy
    08' RM Vertex SS

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Depends on race organization rules - Most say something like "only registered riders may be on course during their event".
    I can see organizers point - what if every racer had someone 'riding' with them - that would make it harder for racers to pass on single track and potentially let helpers draft racers and 'help' them up hills

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I think only racers should be on course, specially in a 24 hour race where it is a short loop and lots or riders. It could be possible in an endurance race (i.e. 65 or 100 miles), but even there, only racers should be allowed.

Dirty South Underdog
    Most races will have rules against outside help. Check with a race official/promoter to make sure it's legal. Even if it is, I think it'd be more fair/courteous to everyone on course to NOT ride with him.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    I think so long as you stay out of racers way, being on course shouldn't be a problem. The race organization may have rules about outside help for racers, but an extra rider on course shouldn't be a problem unless you make yourself into one. I've found most of these races pretty laid back and everyone is out having fun, either with a number plate or not.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks for all the responses. I see the pro & con.
    Just to make it clear...I'm in no way helping him w/ anything, whether it's nutrition, or drafting. He's better than me and probably had to slow down for me It's just nice to ride a bike w/ your brother you know. Also i'm in no way of interfere w/ other riders because i'd jump off the trail so riders can pass.
    12' Sir9 Rigid
    11' Jabber Rigid
    10 SJ SS rigid
    10' Swork SS 29er
    10' Tallboy
    08' RM Vertex SS

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Good luck!

Registered Dietitian
    It's not "riding a bike with your brother", though. It's a race.

Don't be surprised when the event promoter won't allow you on the course, both for reasons of liability as well as those of fairness.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The 24HoA races I've done were pretty adamant about no non-racers on the course, something to do with insurance. If they're that strict, you could possibly get your brother's team DQ'd.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by snellvilleGAbiker View Post
    Is it wrong riding the course w/o a number plate?
    Yes. It is wrong whether the promoter OK's it or not.

If you're not registered to race, then you should not be on course. Period. You'll be getting in the way of actual competitors and its not fair to them. Additionally, pacing your brother isn't cool either. That gives your brother an unethical and unfair advantage, whether either of you realize it or not.

If you're registered, then have at it. But don't go out there unregistered.

If the promoter doesn't agree with it, then you also risk disqualification.

The best way for you to support your brother is to pit for him. Make sure he has everything he needs, be it repair support, nutrition, real food, water, etc. Cheer him on through the tough night laps. Stay off the trails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by snellvilleGAbiker View Post
    It's just nice to ride a bike w/ your brother you know. Also i'm in no way of interfere w/ other riders because i'd jump off the trail so riders can pass.
    If you're on course and needing to get out of the way, then you're interfering. At best, you're a distraction as a delirious racer rolls past you. I know you mean no harm, but with all due respect, ride your bike with your brother another day when you can actually ride with him and enjoy his company.

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    I think you have the right idea, but it is the wrong time to implement it. If you want to ride with your brother there are many other days to do it. You should train with him up to the race and be there in the pit for him cheering him on every lap. If he is better than you then you would be slowing him down in the race and that wouldn't be good for him time, how he places, and other rides would have to try to pass you too. When I'm racing I want to go as fast as I possibly can without bonking. I'm sure he feels the same way too unless he's there to have a good time. If that's the case get a duo or 4 man team and ride a few laps. I think a lot of people would object to you being on the course and if they discovered your were affiliated with him then he may get disqualified etc.

Get out there with your bro another day and enter a race together. You two may make an incredible team soon.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    More cons than pro. Thanks for all the responses. I got it now. Just wanted to hear different opinions and you guys are spot on w/ the liability, fairness, interference, .... Thanks again. I'll be at the pit drinking my beers and making sure he's got all the pit support.
    12' Sir9 Rigid
    11' Jabber Rigid
    10 SJ SS rigid
    10' Swork SS 29er
    10' Tallboy
    08' RM Vertex SS

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Fwiw - technically all these guys saying you should not ride are correct. But this is mountain biking - unless your bro is competing for a podium spot, in which case you definitely should not ride - ask the promoter. Racing with family is a rare and very cool experience. Be aware of the situation and don't impede anyone. Unless they are a serious roady, I think most people won't care. If the promoter says no then just run beside your brother like a TDF lunatic every time he does a lap. Not only will your brother appreciate it so will everyone else. Good luck to you and your brother.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    If you're hurt, and will not be riding as fast as you normally would, you would likely be in the way of the racers from time to time, I would say you should not be on course.
    In the fall cx series around here the dads/moms are encouraged to ride with the 6-9 year olds (my kid is 8), and it takes a lot of focus to stay out of everyones way (riding a lot of off-lines), then when the fast teenages start lapping the little kids with the dads behind it can get a little dicey. Leave the race course open for the racers is my opinion.

mtbr member
    Is the course a loop or have short cuts between sections? If so you could be at the start, ride to a spot course side and snap some pics, ride to another spot and cheer for him, ride to another spot and give him a time hack or position indicator, ride to another spot and tell him how far ahead the next competitor is-and help/be with him/participate all without riding on the course.

The reason most promoters (at least ANY that have proper insurance) is that if you got hurt, you are not insured by the race, or if you accidentally caused a racer to be hurt-you could jeopardize his insurance, which at that point could put the promoter himself on the hook for a lawsuit. I know that you would be careful, but insurance is not only for the negligent, it is also for complete accidents by conscientious and caring people. Have fun and let us know how the race goes!
    EDIT-just realized this post was dredged up. Was paying attention to my dying laptop battery and not the screen!
    Last edited by cstem; 03-01-2013 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Whoops!
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

Sweater

Racing Etiquette..

If it comes down to it, you could just register for the race and only ride a couple laps.
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzaro View Post
    If it comes down to it, you could just register for the race and only ride a couple laps.
    That would work and like another person said, if he's not trying to get a podium spot get out there and ride with him. Just try to stay out of the way and ask the race organizer. If it is a huge field it would be a problem, but if the field isn't huge, I don't see why not.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    For legal and insurance purposes, I highly doubt you would be allowed on the course. Good on you for supporting your bro, though.