Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 68
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    404

    Racing a 1x10 anyone?

    While I would love to spring for an XX1 or XO1 setup, the $1200 to $1500 retail prices are just too outside of what I am willing to spend. Besides, I don't even know if it would be a good fit for me.

    So I am wondering if I should try a 1x10 setup first. Maybe get the XX1 or XO1 cranks with my 11-36 10 spd X9 type 2 RD. I currently have a 2x10 with 26/38 on the front. I know I will be loosing the lowest of the low, but if I went with the 30T, I think it could work. By the way, I live and race in the intermountain west.

    Any thoughts on a 1x10 for racing?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    500
    I just converted to 1x10. I installed a 34 tooth Wolftooth on my XT crank and love it with the 11-36 cassette and XT Shadow+ rear mech. I love the simplicity, the clean look, and the weight savings. The 34 works fine for me because I rarely race over 2 hours. If I were doing more endurance racing I would go with the 32 tooth.

  3. #3
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,536
    You can get XX1 for under $600 on eBay and Amazon, sans cranks.
    Death from Below.
    RLTW!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ryandurepo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    182
    Racing a 1x10 anyone?-photo.jpgi converted to 1x10 for roughly 300 bucks. i bought a type 2 rear derailleur for around 200 bucks brand new on ebay and then found a xx1 spider and chainring on ebay for 100 basically brand new(black ano on chainring was not rubbed off at all) i already had an x0 crank which has the removable spider so the swap was very easy and i didnt have to shell out for an entire crank.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    722

    Racing a 1x10 anyone?

    There is also a 42 tooth rear cog option on the horizon from One Up components so your range would be 11-42 on the cassette. By my calculation that puts the low end gearing with a 30 ring and 42 rear at the same ratio as a 26 granny and 36 rear. If you feel you don't need that much granny then you can go 32 or 34 chainring for a bit more top end. With my 34 ring and 11 rear cog I don't even spin out until I'm close to 30 mph.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    404
    Here are some alternatives I have found which might be interesting.

    As I mentioned above, I have an XT 2x10 785 (104/64BCD) crankset rolling a 29er.

    Wolf Tooth makes a 30 tooth narrow-wide pattern 1x ring.

    There is the new One Up 42 tooth rear cog which would fit my cassette/hub.

    I already have the type 2 Sram rear derailleur which "could" have enough overall range to handle a 1x11 setup (or so says One Up!).

    That would give me a 1x10 setup with a HUGE bailout gear for super steeps for about $150! I think I might just have to try it!
    Last edited by beastmaster; 12-04-2013 at 11:47 AM.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    957
    One up makes it a ten speed cassette still, you pull your 17t. I've been debating this for a while. There are so many climbs by me that I prefer to spin up in the 26/36 combo, I also would want bigger than 32/11 as my big gear, that's where the XX1 setup shines.

    My plan is to wear out my current drivetrain then use my XT crank with a wolftooth and switch the rest of the drivetrain to an X01/XX1 mix.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    722

    Racing a 1x10 anyone?

    Beat me to it. It's still a 1x10 but with a greater range of gears. The disadvantage is that you have bigger jumps between gears. I still think it's a great interim solution though for not much money...

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ryandurepo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by zippinveedub View Post
    There are so many climbs by me that I prefer to spin up in the 26/36 combo, I also would want bigger than 32/11 as my big gear, that's where the XX1 setup shines.
    I thought the same thing about 32:11 as my biggest geAr. But in all reality I stay on gears 2-7. In my 32:11 gear in an spin up to about 25-28 mph without getting bouncy in the saddle from spinning to fast. I think for a Mtb anything over 25 is useless unless you ride really smooth trails and can keep that kind of speed for a good distance. I find myself between 10 and about 20-21 mph on most trails.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,760
    I raced the eastern NUE series along with couple 12hr races on 1x10. 34 front q-ring and did really well. If you don't like occasionally standing then it may not be for you.

    I will be running a xx1 drivetrain this year.
    15 Yeti ASR-c
    14 Yeti ARC
    16 Bianchi Specialissima
    15 Echo Big Deal
    15 Roubaix S-Works

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    882
    I raced my 11-36 with a 32T ring. I never spun out the top gear, but after ~3hrs I was wishing I had a lower gear so I'm going to try a 30T ring next year.

    Edit: This is on a 29er

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    722

    Racing a 1x10 anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryandurep View Post
    I thought the same thing about 32:11 as my biggest geAr. But in all reality I stay on gears 2-7. In my 32:11 gear in an spin up to about 25-28 mph without getting bouncy in the saddle from spinning to fast. I think for a Mtb anything over 25 is useless unless you ride really smooth trails and can keep that kind of speed for a good distance. I find myself between 10 and about 20-21 mph on most trails.
    I couldn't agree with this more! I know of a few in my area who went with a 38 chainring because we're flat landers and they didn't wanna sacrifice top end, but I don't think the math was done. A quick lap at most trails averages 13-14mph, and I know for a fact there are only a few instances where 20+ is sustained, let alone 25+. In my view by going so big on the chainring all one does is constantly use the top half of the cassette and constantly ride with a compromised chain line. That's why I specifically chose a 34, as it gives me the best chainline for my most frequently used gears. When I head to the mountains I'll probably run a 32 with the One-Up 42 tooth cog.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 8iking VIIking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,252

    Re: Racing a 1x10 anyone?

    What size wheels are you guys on? All this chainring talk is kinda useless without wheel size..

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    722

    Racing a 1x10 anyone?

    You're right. Can't speak for others but I'm talking 29 for all examples I posted. Obviously smaller wheels require bigger chainrings for a given speed at a given cadence...

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 8iking VIIking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,252

    Re: Racing a 1x10 anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by GT5050 View Post
    You're right. Can't speak for others but I'm talking 29 for all examples I posted. Obviously smaller wheels require bigger chainrings for a given speed at a given cadence...
    Thanks. I figured y'all were talking about 29ers but just wanted to be sure!

    I'll be racing 1x10 for the first time next season on a 29er ht....running a 30t now but considering making the jump to 32 or 34 if I can improve my fitness enough. I don't mind mashing on short climbs, and a lot of the courses here have some xc ski trail sections for passing and the top end would be nice

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    525
    I run 1x10 when I run gears, 32 tooth chainring with an 11-36 cassette. If I can't climb something with this in a race I should be running it, not riding it. I'm on a Hardtail 29'er.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ryandurepo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by 8iking VIIking View Post
    Thanks. I figured y'all were talking about 29ers but just wanted to be sure!

    I'll be racing 1x10 for the first time next season on a 29er ht....running a 30t now but considering making the jump to 32 or 34 if I can improve my fitness enough. I don't mind mashing on short climbs, and a lot of the courses here have some xc ski trail sections for passing and the top end would be nice
    29er superfly for me, im really happy with 32 chain ring and 11-36. just as you said, i stand and mash if i need too and as for top end, i can hold 25 for maybe a half mile, 32 x 11 is alot of topend for me.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,908
    Been on 1x10 for years now, as has wife. 34x11-36. Been fine for XC racing. When traveling on vacation or an unknown race, I toss a 32 on there.

    This year I've been using a RF narrow/wide ring to lose the chain guard (E13 XCX). No dropped chains.

    Wife's now on XX1, which also works beautifully. But, if you already have some parts, a switch to 1x10 is cheap. Besides, a 10T go is stupid. I'd much rather the XX1 stuff be 11-36 or 11-42. Then you get a bit closer gear spacing.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 8iking VIIking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,252

    Re: Racing a 1x10 anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by briscoelab View Post
    I'd much rather the XX1 stuff be 11-36 or 11-42. Then you get a bit closer gear spacing.
    Closer gear spacing??? We are talking about mountain bikes right...?

    I wish someone would make a dedicated 10 speed 11-42 cassette

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,908
    Yea, 11-36 is about the limit of what I can tolerate on a geared MTB. It's the same as an 11-32 9 speed, with a 36T thrown on there for good measure.

    The 10-42 gives you a near useless 10T, and adds a bigger 42T top end cog. So, you're effectively dropping two middle gears. I still think they should have started with an 11T small cog.

    But of course, then they wouldn't have had the excuse to make the new hub driver. They were limited in this regard because shimano had not yet released the 11 speed free hub standard that Sram would inevitably have to follow for their road and cx products.

    I race and ride a lot of SS MTB, but if I'm going to carry the added weight of gears, I want them to work in an efficient manner.

    That said, I'll probably end up on XX1 this next season when I need new parts.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 8iking VIIking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,252

    Re: Racing a 1x10 anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by briscoelab View Post
    Yea, 11-36 is about the limit of what I can tolerate on a geared MTB. It's the same as an 11-32 9 speed, with a 36T thrown on there for good measure.

    The 10-42 gives you a near useless 10T, and adds a bigger 42T top end cog. So, you're effectively dropping two middle gears. I still think they should have started with an 11T small cog.

    But of course, then they wouldn't have had the excuse to make the new hub driver. They were limited in this regard because shimano had not yet released the 11 speed free hub standard that Sram would inevitably have to follow for their road and cx products.

    I race and ride a lot of SS MTB, but if I'm going to carry the added weight of gears, I want them to work in an efficient manner.

    That said, I'll probably end up on XX1 this next season when I need new parts.
    Agreed on the 11t instead of 10t. I just think if they made a 11-42t 10 sp cassette it would pretty much eliminate the need for 11 speed for most riders. I think most riders would rather have wider range than closer gearing. I can't say I've ever thought to myself "I wish these gears weren't so far apart" while on a MTB ride

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    957
    Now I'm inspired to try it. Anyone running a narrow wide with a non clutched XTR derailleur?

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 29ger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    239
    I've been riding and racing 1x9 or 1x10 for 3 years now. No issues yet, including several 50 mile races, and the Park City PTP. My race bike has an 11x36 cassette. For the PTP race, I did go down to a 28T front ring with the 12,000+ feet of climbing, but typically use a 30T. I have only used the 30X11 combination in one race that I remember. Usually going 30MPH downhill doesn't really need any extra speed on real MTB courses I've ridden on. I'm usually using the breaks more than the cranks, so I haven't found the lack of range limiting.

  24. #24
    Always Learning
    Reputation: BruceBrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,515
    Quote Originally Posted by beastmaster View Post
    While I would love to spring for an XX1 or XO1 setup, the $1200 to $1500 retail prices are just too outside of what I am willing to spend. Besides, I don't even know if it would be a good fit for me.

    So I am wondering if I should try a 1x10 setup first. Maybe get the XX1 or XO1 cranks with my 11-36 10 spd X9 type 2 RD. I currently have a 2x10 with 26/38 on the front. I know I will be loosing the lowest of the low, but if I went with the 30T, I think it could work. By the way, I live and race in the intermountain west.

    Any thoughts on a 1x10 for racing?
    In terms of gearing and the range of gearing, what is your current 2 x 10 not providing for you?

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,064
    For my 29er race bike I did 1x10 last year with xtr derailleur clutch, 11-36 cassette, xtr crank with 34T ring. For some of my lower elevation or shorter races it was just fine. I idiotically took the gearing to a western NUE with over 7000' climbing and knew I was in trouble when I saw 2x10, 1x11 with 30T and even triples.

    After the race season I tried a 30T with 11-36. Muuuuuch better for my legs and ability and trails.

    This year my "marathon" bike is 1x11 with a 30T and 32T option. As others have stated the 10T isn't ideal and I was looking for more on the low end instead of the highend. We have a lot of super fast fireroad sections I'm sure that 10T will be used with the 30 or 32 up front.

    Save some money and go X01 rear D, cassette and shifter, and use a single ring on your current crank and 10sp chain.

    I have a 2x10 (38/26) with 11-36 and overall it's a win-win for those not concerned about weight compared to a 1x....but I would've gladly taken the weight penalty in that high elevation 50 miler instead of the walking, leg cramps and horrible finish.
    Last edited by westin; 12-05-2013 at 05:11 AM.

  26. #26
    COTA member
    Reputation: Dry Side's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    964
    Running a 1x10 Shadow Plus XTR setup w/32T Wolf chainring and 11-36 cassette (No complaints) ..


  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,064
    Your pic just reminded me to get a pair of RF boots for my S Works crank! I'm running 32T, the WolfT direct mount. Weighs 70 grams.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sprocketjockey9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,196
    Quote Originally Posted by beastmaster View Post
    While I would love to spring for an XX1 or XO1 setup, the $1200 to $1500 retail prices are just too outside of what I am willing to spend. Besides, I don't even know if it would be a good fit for me.

    So I am wondering if I should try a 1x10 setup first. Maybe get the XX1 or XO1 cranks with my 11-36 10 spd X9 type 2 RD. I currently have a 2x10 with 26/38 on the front. I know I will be loosing the lowest of the low, but if I went with the 30T, I think it could work. By the way, I live and race in the intermountain west.

    Any thoughts on a 1x10 for racing?
    The 2 male riders that won collegiate nationals in North Carolina XC & Short track respectively were on 1x10 drivetrains 11-36....

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,064
    I'm betting the 2 male riders who got the job done on that day could've taken home the win on a 2x10.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ryandurepo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    182
    Most likely. Their fitness won the trophies, not so much the bike(although it does play a factor)

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 8iking VIIking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,252

    Re: Racing a 1x10 anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    I'm betting the 2 male riders who got the job done on that day could've taken home the win on a 2x10.
    Probably. They probably could've also won on a 3x9. But why add the complexity and extra weight of a front shifter and derailleur if your legs and terrain allow for 1x10?

  32. #32
    Si vales, valeo.
    Reputation: Warshade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    277
    What is the justification for the huge price discrepancies between some of these model options? Just curious...
    "An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered." G.K. Chesterton

  33. #33
    Registered Dietitian
    Reputation: tommyrod74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    1,377
    1x10 for several years now. Running a 36t ring (on a 27.5" wheel bike), 11-36 cassette. Plenty of range for even endurance racing in the mountains, but I know that gearing for climbing is fitness-dependent.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,064
    Scale of economics?
    A lot of marketing
    Supply and demand based on word of mouth and ego.

    Maybe "all of the above" but I'm thinking the last one drives pricing.

    I got passed by a guy aboard a 3x8 26er HT with V brakes and a 2" elastomer fork on Hour #6 of a marathon. I remember smiling then laughing and looking down at my $$$$ carbon wunderbike thinking how I am part of the must-have pricing structure.

    Quote Originally Posted by Warshade View Post
    What is the justification for the huge price discrepancies between some of these model options? Just curious...

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ryandurepo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Scale of economics?
    A lot of marketing
    Supply and demand based on word of mouth and ego.

    Maybe "all of the above" but I'm thinking the last one drives pricing.
    This. Everyone wants the latest and greatest, heck i fell for half of it(didnt get 11 speed)

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,064
    My coach is a multi-time national and world champion podium finisher in road, mtb and XTerra, and he told me to race with a 2x10 in many of our events. I didn't listen, had to show up with 1x....and I paid the price. He did Marathon Nationals on XX1, but it was sponsor obligation and went back to 2x after that race. His wife is a super studette and showed up at the NUE round in Galena on a triple crank!!! I hadn't seen one of those, especially XTR, in years! Yeah, she destroyed me, too.

    It just depends on what you feel comfortable with and how much you're willing to pay in terms of money and personal pain. No right or wrong.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sprocketjockey9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,196
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    I'm betting the 2 male riders who got the job done on that day could've taken home the win on a 2x10.

    I'm sure they wouldn't of had any issues with 2x gearing, but they had no need for it. They both spent the collegiate season dominating the Rocky Mountain Conference Series (with long mountain climbs) on a 1x set up. They had previously raced the 'normal' racing season with 2x set-ups and as Collegiate racing is a bit shorter (closer to XCO) there was no real need for the 2x or the weight. I believe they'll be back on 2x10 setups for this coming season.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    957
    That's interesting. Here in the ACCC (east coast) I find our races to be as long as, if not longer than the local expert races.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sprocketjockey9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,196
    Quote Originally Posted by zippinveedub View Post
    That's interesting. Here in the ACCC (east coast) I find our races to be as long as, if not longer than the local expert races.
    You should have a chat with your conference & race directors. The last 3 or so National championships have been very short races (relatively speaking). This years XC race was won in 1:19. They've been typically under 2 hours easily. Particularly with the race in NC again next year and the tight schedule for collegiate racing, they are going to err on things being shorter rather than longer.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    957
    I'm graduating this year but I'll mention it to them. The race I ran was about that long for the winning time but a few of the races were almost 2.5 hours.

    Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: xterrafreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    54
    I went from a 3x9 setup to 2x10 and just never felt comfortable on the 38T ring up front. On the 3x9 setup 99% of my riding would be in the 32 ring up front, so It made perfect sense to change the 2x10 to 1x10. The Simplicity of it is the biggest plus. I raced Cat2 on it all season in the midwest on a 26er and did well.

    Now I'm shopping for a carbon hardtail 29er for the coming season and the options I'm finding are either 2x10 XT - XTR or XX1,XO1. I really wish I could just find a ready to race bike already setup 1x10!! I know there are a few, but none that are sold by my race team bike shop.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,064
    Put a RaceFace 104bcd ring on that 2x10 XT crankset. Done deal.

    Quote Originally Posted by xterrafreak View Post
    I went from a 3x9 setup to 2x10 and just never felt comfortable on the 38T ring up front. On the 3x9 setup 99% of my riding would be in the 32 ring up front, so It made perfect sense to change the 2x10 to 1x10. The Simplicity of it is the biggest plus. I raced Cat2 on it all season in the midwest on a 26er and did well.

    Now I'm shopping for a carbon hardtail 29er for the coming season and the options I'm finding are either 2x10 XT - XTR or XX1,XO1. I really wish I could just find a ready to race bike already setup 1x10!! I know there are a few, but none that are sold by my race team bike shop.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 8iking VIIking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,252

    Re: Racing a 1x10 anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Put a RaceFace 104bcd ring on that 2x10 XT crankset. Done deal.
    This

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: xterrafreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Put a RaceFace 104bcd ring on that 2x10 XT crankset. Done deal.
    Of course, you're correct. I was thinking that I'd have to get a clutch rear der but it looks like all the new stuff is already shadow+. Thanks! The 3 star Niner Air9 RDO looks to be the winner. American Classic race wheels, all XT drivetrain and SID XX fork!

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    404

    Good job!

    Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences with me. MTBR is a wonderful asset, full of the rich wealth of personal stories.

    Last summer at one point I had to replace the small ring (26T) on my XT 2x10. It was quite difficult to find a replacement because it was while Shimano was taking their North American distribution in-house primarily. So I disabled my FD and rode with just the 38 for a week. I found I was able to ride all of the super steeps except those that are quite long (1 mile was the limit). In these super steep climbs it was kind of like single speeding; stand up and crank! Long story short: I know I have the power/strength and endurance to handle a single front with the 11-36 rear.

    So I just purchased a Wolf Tooth wide-narrow 32T front chainring. It will be fun to see how it works out.

    Thank you all again for your valuable input.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    722

    Racing a 1x10 anyone?

    It's gonna be awesome!

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by zippinveedub View Post
    Now I'm inspired to try it. Anyone running a narrow wide with a non clutched XTR derailleur?
    I run a narrow wide with a non clutched SRAM X9. I also have a modified Jump Stop on top acting as a chainguide and I've never dropped my chain. Without the chainguide it drops quite frequently though.

    Also, to add another gearing data point to this thread:
    I did 1 race w/ a 1x8 (11-32t) and 34t chainring up front in WI last year.
    I could have used a taller gear for some climbs, but I also barely did any training and wasn't really in shape. Didn't ever need the 11t, I think.

    This year I'm planning to train more seriously and enter 3 races in IL. I'm going to run a 1x9 11-34t cassette, and either a 36t narrow wide, or 27/39t.
    Undecided right now but leaning towards the 36t 1x9.

    All on a 26" hardtail. With v-brakes
    Last edited by alexzhu1; 12-09-2013 at 10:36 AM.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rallymaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    170
    I'm on a 29er HT. Racing in Midwest last year on a 1x10 setup with RF Narrow-Wide 32t ring with regular X9 derailleur. 11-36 cassette. No dropped chains and the gearing is fine. I don't miss my 3x10 at all.

    This whole conversion cost me about $35.

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    411
    Yes. Was on a 1 X 9 before this cheap and effective 1 X 10. I also advocate for squats, deadlifts, pistols, so my support is suspect...

    stock SLX crank
    Wolf Tooth 34 or 36; BBG bash
    XT 11-36
    XT Shadow Plus
    Superfly Al -- 29

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: The Boz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    327
    I picked up a full XX1 kit on eBay for $900. I sold my Sram XX parts on eBay for $625. Cost to upgrade: $275. It was well worth the cost! It is simpler, quieter, and less maintenance, less chain slap on descents, less mud issues, I could go on. I gave up only my highest gear which I never use in races anyway (its the pavement ride home gear).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Need help going from 2x10 to 1x10 for xc racing.
    By colehasarsx in forum 29er Components
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10-05-2013, 08:21 AM
  2. Racing Ralph 2.4 or Specialized Fast Track 2.0 for racing? 29er
    By kevocastro in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-15-2013, 05:23 PM
  3. 3x10 -> 1x10 or 2x10 -> 1x10...which is better?
    By savechief in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-07-2012, 05:13 PM
  4. Switching from SS racing to geared racing....ouch
    By Tyrone Shoelaces in forum XC Racing and Training
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 07-09-2011, 05:01 PM
  5. Racing with 1x10 gearing?
    By jrob1775 in forum XC Racing and Training
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-06-2011, 09:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •