Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Race Teams?

Winning
    Jul 2013

Race Teams?

I couldn't find any posts in this thread about Race Teams, so if there is one already, can you direct me there?
    If not, I'm doing some recruiting for Team Planet X USA p/b On-One/Titus Bikes.
    Let me know if there is somewhere else I should post a release, or if it's cool to do it here?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    You should probably post it in every other sub forum...

Oh wait, you already did

VIP
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossFix View Post
    Let me know if there is somewhere else I should post a release, or if it's cool to do it here?
    Well I think it's cool when Teams/sponsors actually bother to post on forums, a lot of the larger teams seem all about the "not what you know, who you know". A ton of fast riders end up without decent support while lesser riders hoover up whatever is going because they're more adept at kissing the right asses.

mtbr member
    If not, I'm doing some recruiting for Team Planet X USA p/b On-One/Titus Bikes.Thanks.
    Open to riders / racers from other countries?
    Cul is a regretted trademark of the CulBaire Co'op Pty Ltd, as are his random ramblings and associated ********.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    I couldn't find any posts in this thread about Race Teams, so if there is one already, can you direct me there?
    If not, I'm doing some recruiting for Team Planet X USA p/b On-One/Titus Bikes.

Thanks.
    So, is this like the Yeti "sponsorship" where you can purchase product with a small discount and be on a "team"?

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by iwanttolookatpics View Post
    Well I think it's cool when Teams/sponsors actually bother to post on forums, a lot of the larger teams seem all about the "not what you know, who you know". A ton of fast riders end up without decent support while lesser riders hoover up whatever is going because they're more adept at kissing the right asses.
    He is targeting first time racers/beginners primarily, as stated in another forum.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post
    So, is this like the Yeti "sponsorship" where you can purchase product with a small discount and be on a "team"?

Pay your membership fee and you're sponsored!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    Pay your membership fee and you're sponsored!
    Ha, why would I pay to wear someone elses Jersey? And its really not being "sponsored", they actually call it "membership"... and since you need to pay to join, and its a money making operation, it sounds like they should be paying the associated MTBR advertising fees.
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

VIP
    Jun 2006
    He is targeting first time racers/beginners primarily, as stated in another forum.
    Ahhh. Should have looked at the post a little better before I started ranting.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Ahhh. Should have looked at the post a little better before I started ranting.
    Right. Nevermind the guys and gals suffering each day for hours on end...haha. Noob Joe won't know the diff right!?

Not sure why these "teams" and "sponsorships" erck me so much.

Clearly, nobody is going to look at a novice racer to see what product is helping them reach the podium....so clearly this is a monetary move by whoever offers this "noob-based-sponsorship".

Hmmm..I wonder why Specialized and Trek don't do this...haha.

Just pay up and sponsor some legit talent already! Even if it is an entry level local pro sorta thing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I received a trek support sponsorship after my first year riding novice.

Do i pay for my kit @ beginning. Of season? Yes.

Do i get reimbursements for actually showing up & racing, let alone free product & a.great. discount? Yes.

I can see a sponsors point of getting paid for kit up front and then.dispursing funds on back end with money left over from associate sponsors

I cannot begin to count how many riders "join the team" and u never see at the races.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by scottz123 View Post
    I received a trek support sponsorship after my first year riding novice.

Do i pay for my kit @ beginning. Of season? Yes.

Do i get reimbursements for actually showing up & racing, let alone free product & a.great. discount? Yes.

I can see a sponsors point of getting paid for kit up front and then.dispursing funds on back end with money left over from associate sponsors

I cannot begin to count how many riders "join the team" and u never see at the races.
    Sponsorships are earned by winning at a Cat 1 level or higher (unless it is just shop/club support)

Memberships are...well...just that.

Lets not confuse the two.

Having said this, that is great the Trek has chosen to help you out. Nothing wrong with that!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by scottz123 View Post
    Seems kinda weird that a sponsor would back someone that doesnt have a history of showing up at every race in the first place....
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SandSpur View Post
    Seems kinda weird that a sponsor would back someone that doesnt have a history of showing up at every race in the first place....
    I guess stuff happens: life, burnout, work or lack of, good intentions, etc.

Point being: why just "give away" a $100 kit if you are not sure if it will be used as intended.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Being fast has little to do with sponsor support, unless you are a true world class talent. It isn't about kissing @ss either... it's about representing their product in an outstanding light.

It's about what you can offer them... not what they can offer you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by briscoelab View Post

Exactly. As a member of the Planet X Team I applaud them for going out and actively seeking members. Unless you are a top Cat1 or Pro a full ride sponsorship is out of the question, best you can do is maybe a shop sponsorship or local team. There is a small team fee ($35) which gives you some pretty good discounts on PlanetX/ OnOne/ & Titus bikes and frames as well as great prices on a team kit from Castelli. The discounts with the team sponsors are much better then you would get from any shop sponsorship or local team. Its a scratch my back, I will scratch yours relationship. Give Planet X some exposure and we will help you out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    Exactly. As a member of the Planet X Team I applaud them for going out and actively seeking members. Unless you are a top Cat1 or Pro a full ride sponsorship is out of the question, best you can do is maybe a shop sponsorship or local team. There is a small team fee ($35) which gives you some pretty good discounts on PlanetX/ OnOne/ & Titus bikes and frames as well as great prices on a team kit from Castelli. The discounts with the team sponsors are much better then you would get from any shop sponsorship or local team. Its a scratch my back, I will scratch yours relationship. Give Planet X some exposure and we will help you out.
    Besides getting discounts on their brand of bike frames and their team kits.. can you give an example of other discounts that are available?

I looked at their website but its vague on what discounts are available. You have to become a member before you have access to even view the discounts.. Team Planet X USA

mtbr member
    Here is a list of the sponsors, discounts vary.
    Team Planet X USA
    I'm moving up to CAT 1 for 2014 after a very sucessful year racing CAT 2. I received some help via the Titus ambassador program over the years but was looking to join a shop or local team for 2014. My choices here in Reno were the Audi Cycling Team or Giant Northstar, both were pretty large investments requiring the purchase of several team kits and the discounts on bikes was only 20% off retail (yipee). If you are not aware PlanetX/OnOne/Titus offers just about anything you would need and you can get great discounts, even on road, TT, or cyclocross bikes. PlanetX is also consumer direct so everything is way cheaper to start with because it hasnt been marked up 3 times.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SandSpur View Post
    Besides getting discounts on their brand of bike frames and their team kits.. can you give an example of other discounts that are available?

I looked at their website but its vague on what discounts are available. You have to become a member before you have access to even view the discounts.. Team Planet X USA
    Also, it seems to be primarily Oregon-based.
    Get me the knuckles of Frisco..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    Also, it seems to be primarily Oregon-based.
    Planet X USA is located in Portland, the team started out this year and primarily targeted Oregon based riders. They are looking to expand the team throughout the western US.

mtbr member
    I see nothing wrong with the efforts of expanding the team. If both parties benefit, then all is well. Good luck with the expansion efforts!
    Get me the knuckles of Frisco..

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    Here is a list of the sponsors, discounts vary.
    Team Planet X USA
    I'm moving up to CAT 1 for 2014 after a very sucessful year racing CAT 2. I received some help via the Titus ambassador program over the years but was looking to join a shop or local team for 2014. My choices here in Reno were the Audi Cycling Team or Giant Northstar, both were pretty large investments requiring the purchase of several team kits and the discounts on bikes was only 20% off retail (yipee). If you are not aware PlanetX/OnOne/Titus offers just about anything you would need and you can get great discounts, even on road, TT, or cyclocross bikes. PlanetX is also consumer direct so everything is way cheaper to start with because it hasnt been marked up 3 times.
    Yea, I understand discounts and vendors vary. Their website says that too. Its quite vague... and paying out $35 without giving an example of their discount is suspicious...

So, since youre a member, can you provide me with an example of a discount on something besides their kit or bike?

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by briscoelab View Post
    Being fast has little to do with sponsor support, unless you are a true world class talent. It isn't about kissing @ss either... it's about representing their product in an outstanding light.

Huh? Where I live, it is like this: 1. Fast?? 2. Nice social guy?? 3. Do you blog and can you get our name out there?? Pretty simple. Pushing product as a pack fill cat 3 is silly. Remember, this is an "XC Race Forum"..not a hippy free ride baggy shorts forum...not that there is anything wrong with that... haha

Same thing in the surf industry out here. You gotta rip before any sponsorships present themselves and that is as clear as 2 + 2 = 4.

Anyone know where the OP went? Way to stay involved in the thread you created buddy!!!

Winning
    Jul 2013
    Wow!
    You guys really responded to that inquisitory post.

If you want more information about the Planet X USA team, contact Stewart, our team manager. stewartcycling@yahoo.com

We are not only targeting beginner/novice racers, but we are trying to be a team that is welcoming of those looking to get into bike racing for the first time, and those who may be or have been intimidated to give it a try for whatever reason.
    We especially try to avoid cultivating a team culture of elitism, snobbery, or arrogance.

We are branching out throughout the Western US mostly because there are so few MTB races in our area, and we are lacking in MTB participation on the team.
    However, we have found that our brands have pockets of loyalty all over the country, and many of our long-term customers have asked about joining.
    We don't want to discourage them from racing on our bikes, in our kits, and representing our brands. We'd rather do whatever we can to support their efforts and thank them for being ambassadors of Planet X/On-One/Titus and cycling in general in their communities.

The perks of joining the team are not strictly financial, and we try to dissuade those to whom money is the primary motivator from joining. We are a team of cyclists who strive to use cycling as a vehicle to enrich our lives, our health, our communities, and our society.

We like to ride together. We like to race together. We like to push each other, and even give each other some **** once in a while.

In short, we like to have fun. It's why we ride bikes.

And we like to share the fun with others.

it just so happens that there are lots of great companies and organizations out there who also like to share fun, while making and selling some great products that make having and sharing fun more, well, fun.

We support them and they support us.
    And it's as simple as that.

We're not a factory team.
    We're not trying to develop a pro team.
    Planet X has that covered over in Europe.

So, if you're interested in the team, and want more information, email the team manager.
    If not, go on doing what you do and ignore us.

Thanks.
    Brandon @ Planet X USA

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Sponsorships are earned by winning at a Cat 1 level or higher (unless it is just shop/club support)
    Well, I don't think I'm too far off when I state that a Cat 1 is not making a living as a Cat 1. In the U.S. most "pro" riders are not getting paid much at all. Baristas do better.

Maybe they do better than brodeal PlanetX "Let's call sponsorship moving product at a discount." but not much.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast