mtbr member
    Feb 2013

race with heart rate monitor?

I don't usually ride w/ HRM, - I usually forget in my rush to get out the door. I'm doing a longer race tomorrow, with more climbing than I'm used to. I'm pretty good at feeling my pace/effort, but I'm wondering if tomorrow would be a good time to start racing with the HRM. What do you guys do? race with or without HRM?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    If you don't usually ride with HRM I don't see a reason to race with one unless you are look to find your max HR.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    It might be a good idea to wear it *if* you know your ranges well. In a race, my HR is usually much higher than it "feels" when I'm riding normally. It'll help keep you from redlining on the climbs.

mtbr member
    I race with it, but I also ride with it all the time.

mtbr member
    For >2 hour races, I use HRM as my speedometer. Was very useful recently for 8 hour race. For sprint races, I just range between maxed out and almost blown up. Don't need hrm to tell me how much it hurts. However, I still wear it to review post race.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

nOOb
    May 2008
    I would say wear it if it's comfortable and won't chafe you, if you plan on using it for a guideline it may be a bit late for that right now. I don't ever use it during a race to alter my pace else I would probably see it pegged and slow down. I do look at what it was afterwards though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Any time I ride- short or long, I always use my HRM. I use the Bowflex Strapless HRM- Heart Rate Monitor - Bowflex Strapless - Fitness Equipment - beachbody.com . Itís comfortable and doesnít interfere with my riding. It helps me control the intensity of my rides.

mtbr member
    I can't afford a power meter so I use the HRM every time I ride. It's definitely not a perfect science but when you use it every ride you start to at least get a feel for where you are at. It is a little harder to use in a race because my HR elevates significantly, as I'm sure lots of peoples do. So by the time I'm done my avg HR is ridiculous. I also know that if it goes above a certain range and I don't tone it down a little bit, halfway through the race I'm going to be spent.

One thing I've noticed that it has helped with training, is that if my HR isn't as high as how my body/legs actually feel, I might have some built up fatigue.
    "Like" the Brewery Ommegang facebook team page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-...18356588347806

mtbr member
    I don't wear a HRM on an MTB. HR data is usually only meaningful for fairly steady efforts (which mtbing never is).

I usually only strap on a watch to my mtb handlebar, to estimate ride time. I also Strava record my MTB rides for post ride analysis. That seems to be much better than HR data alone. Speed for the same segments (at similar intensities and conditions) is a great metric.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by qdawgg View Post
    I can't afford a power meter so I use the HRM every time I ride. It's definitely not a perfect science but when you use it every ride you start to at least get a feel for where you are at. It is a little harder to use in a race because my HR elevates significantly, as I'm sure lots of peoples do. So by the time I'm done my avg HR is ridiculous. I also know that if it goes above a certain range and I don't tone it down a little bit, halfway through the race I'm going to be spent.

One thing I've noticed that it has helped with training, is that if my HR isn't as high as how my body/legs actually feel, I might have some built up fatigue.
    +1 dawgg. I cannot get my HR to stay up in training the way it does in race.

I ride and race with HR monitor.

EX: TT or CX (35m to a little over 1hr) 190ish bpm, good to go. CC (1.5hr plus or so), I know I cannot tap 190bpm to much or really hurt last portion of race.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I have been Racing with mine. I have only had it for a month but I am already getting to know where I am.

When training I can guess where I am and look down and be with in a beat or two. I found it very helpfull as I have a hard time pacing myself during the first lap.