Pwning Trails

Race with bottles or camelback?

Do you race with bottles or camelback? I think I want to make the move to bottles to get the camelback off the back. Whats your race setup for hydration? Thanks!

mtbr member
    camelback. The majority of our races are point to point, and its faster for me to blow past the aid stations. I pass on average 5 people at every aid station. I never see them again either...

Masher
    Single bottle in cage. Camelbak racebak with varying amounts of water depending on length.

Much more important to have enough water than saving weight and the racebak fits snug enough that the water I need for a short race is hardly even noticed.

Full in a long race it eliminates water stops which are a total time suck.

And I'm sure we have all dropped a bottle at some point in time. RAGE.
    Last edited by MisterC; 01-20-2011 at 03:58 PM.
    Stand For Something.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterC
    Single bottle in cage. Camelbak racebak with varying amounts of water depending on length.

Much more important to have enough water than saving weight and the racebak fits snug enough that the water I need for a short race is hardly even noticed.
    thats the one I run too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    For XC racing I use bottles. Endurance racing, depends on the course, feed zones, etc. Personally don't like riding with hydration pack, so almost always use bottles. With bottles I can switch between straight water and energy drink or throw in a bottle with flat Coke or something else.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I forgot to add that bottles look more PRO, which always makes you faster.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    I race with bottles.
    I broke my thumb this Summer and found it hard to drink bottles using my other hand so I tried a hydration pack for a race. I actually won that race, but my back was in agony for 3 days afterwards.
    In 2009 I raced with 2 bottles on my bike, but last year I had a bright idea to lighten my ride:
    Bottlestand 2000!

All my faucets is Moen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishlips
    For XC racing I use bottles. Endurance racing, depends on the course, feed zones, etc. Personally don't like riding with hydration pack, so almost always use bottles. With bottles I can switch between straight water and energy drink or throw in a bottle with flat Coke or something else.
    +1
    Carry one and find a buddy to hand them off to you if your doing fast laps.
    For enduro I carry 2 and stop and refill when needed or get there early enough to give extra bottles to the feed station volunteers before they head out.

Also, once in a while I actually practice drinking from a bottle when on group or training rides .

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I don't even train with a camelback let alone race with one. I don't like having something on my back while riding, It eventually gets hot and itchy.

I do use camelbak better bottles in my cages on training rides cause they are big and I like the bite valves, not so good in races though cause they are kind of hard to get back into the cages.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2
    Bottlestand 2000!
    Nice! I have the same bike stand.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Bottles. My races rarely run more than two hours and my bike will take two bottles. If I think it'll be a problem, I find somewhere to stash more, or get someone to hand off to me.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by phlite
    Do you race with bottles or camelback? I think I want to make the move to bottles to get the camelback off the back. Whats your race setup for hydration? Thanks!
    Always use bottles, on lap races I ditch them at the start of the last lap to save weight. Never have had to stop at a feed zone

Rock and/or Roll
    Dec 2005
    I hate using bottles. Like them on the road bike, but hate them on the mountain bike. The camelbak is way better and more efficient. It doesn't get covered in fecal dirt from the trail either, like bottles do.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Which cages have fewest unwanted bottle launches?

Want to wean myself away from the camelbak, but need 2 bottles for a race. If one decides to jump off during a descent, no es bueno.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Strictly bottles for short XC races (under 2 hours). If it's cool (like 50's - 60's), I only need one. Hotter weather...than definitely two.

However...last year for longer races Cat 1 races (i.e. 30-ish miles) I ditched the bottles and went with the Camelback Racebak. It's the dealy that you were UNDER your jersey. this solves several issues for those of who HATE riding/racing with standard hydration packs:

1) It doesn't shift. even when full it stays close to your body and doesn't shift around that much.
    2) The weight rides higher on your back. You carry the weight more in the center of your back so less likely to get a sore lower back.
    3) No need to fiddle with bottles at all..much easier to reach up and grab the nozzle and shove it in your mouth. Can hydrate even on fast downhills. Rarely have to take hands off bars.
    4) can still reach gu, tubes, or whatever else you want to stuff into your jersey pockets.

cons:
    1) When full, you look like a hunchback with it under your jersey. (but who cares)
    2) when it's hot (90s+) you run the risk of overheating I guess because in essence you are wearing a base layer (it wicks and is fairly light, but still..)

for me, the pro's outweigh the con's during certain races and I really dig it.

For lap style endurance races (like 8 hour solos) where you are cranking out laps, the Racebak isn't as effective IMO, because once it's empty, you are stuck wearing the empty bladder which isn't a big deal over a short time, but in an 8-hour race it's not a big deal to do a quick pit each lap and grab bottles.

this system worked for me last year podiuming and winning a few Cat 1 races.

mtbr member
    Most people are saying bottles for short races and camelback for longer, but I think the opposite.
    When speeds are faster and seconds actually count, I dont want to waste time reaching for a bottle. And you can get caught up in the excitement and forget to drink.
    When i'm in for the long haul, thats when I dont want something on my back. At slower speeds its easier to grab a bottle, and you are focusing on nutrition.

and I am a big fan of the small 40oz packs. I just can't go back to the 70oz even for recreational riding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Bottles almost always.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

I tossed the Racebak in the trash after 5 minutes

A good idea that I felt was poorly executed. The fit was awful, it felt like a burlap sack that was 2 sizes too small. I really wanted to like it - it would have been great for long road rides where finding extra water can be a challenge. I hope that someone else will take this idea and make a better version.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Always Camelbak for hydration, and to carry small tool bag for whatever may come up.

mtbr member
    For lap races I use bottles. Longer rides with no stops I put the water on my back, but I had having.
    Mountain Bike http://www.mtbmike.com/Videos