Big Boy

Race bike for $2000 ?

I'm looking to start racing in the TMBRA circuit here in Texas. I have got a budget of about $2000 to spend with an absolute max of $2200

I'm mainly looking at HT 29ers. What bikes would you guys recommend? I've got a lbs that I like that sells Scott and Fuji.

I am leaning towards this bike, I can get it for under $2200 out the door

Fuji Bikes | MOUNTAIN | CROSS COUNTRY | TAHOE 29 1.1
    Race bike for 00  ?-2013_fuji_tahoe29-1_1_d.jpg

But I'm also considering this scott bike, and I would have enough cash left over for a wheelset (easton ea90 xc)

SCOTT Scale 950 Bike - SCOTT Sports
    Race bike for 00  ?-227714_31911_tif_raw_1.jpg

What would you guys recommend? One of these two or something else? I also like the 2013 stumpjumper line, but they start at the top of my price range.

I have access to almost any brand being close to Austin, and I won't buy from an online dealer because all of my hobbies are paid for with cash only.
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

mtbr member
    Of the two, I would pick the Scott and pick up some new wheels (my personal opinion). I would think about Stan's Arch or Crest, depending on your weight and riding style. Are you considering any other bikes?

Big Boy
    Quote Originally Posted by mnyquist View Post
    Of the two, I would pick the Scott and pick up some new wheels (my personal opinion). I would think about Stan's Arch or Crest, depending on your weight and riding style. Are you considering any other bikes?

Well I can get a killer deal on some ea90 wheels that were barely used. I'm considering any bike in my price range.

I'd rather be riding
    I have one of these built up with my own parts and wheels (stans arch). I like it a lot for what it's worth.
    Superfly AL - Trek Bicycle

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mnyquist View Post
    This. Crests laced to Hope Pro 2 hubs.
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....

mtbr member
    how about Sette Razzo SC on pricepoint. they have $250off so it would be a $1750 bike that has great components and weighs only just over 24lb.
    Also, Motobecane Fly Team 29er Titanium would be great:
    SRAM XO, 2x10 Speed 29er Titanium Front Suspension Mountain Bikes - MTB - 2013 Motobecane Fly Titanium 29er | SRAM XO hardtail mountain bikes | Save up to 60% off list prices on new bicycles
    Another very light bike with good components.

Geaux ride!
    How about a Jamis Dakota D29 Pro? I believe these could go for around $2k, but you'd get a carbon frame with a similar component spec to the two bikes you mentioned.
    -'08 Jamis Dragon Comp
    "Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary…that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

Big Boy
    Quote Originally Posted by rallymaniac View Post
    how about Sette Razzo SC on pricepoint. they have $250off so it would be a $1750 bike that has great components and weighs only just over 24lb.
    Also, Motobecane Fly Team 29er Titanium would be great:
    SRAM XO, 2x10 Speed 29er Titanium Front Suspension Mountain Bikes - MTB - 2013 Motobecane Fly Titanium 29er | SRAM XO hardtail mountain bikes | Save up to 60% off list prices on new bicycles
    Another very light bike with good components.
    Not interested in online dealers. Those do look like killer bikes though.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAg08 View Post
    How about a Jamis Dakota D29 Pro? I believe these could go for around $2k, but you'd get a carbon frame with a similar component spec to the two bikes you mentioned.
    You sure these go for $2k? MSRP is $3500
    Would be sweet if they do in fact go for $2000!!

mnoutain bkie rdier

Geaux ride!
    You sure these go for $2k? MSRP is $3500
    Would be sweet if they do in fact go for $2000!!
    Sorry if I got your hopes up. I had a look at the dealer invoice price on that in 2012 when I was considering buying one, LBS was looking to make a deal to get rid of it. It was over $2k, definitely less than $2.5k tho. The Dakota d29 Race (aluminum) might be more in your range in something you can find today.
    -'08 Jamis Dragon Comp
    "Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary…that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

Big Boy
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post

Thanks, but I don't want to buy from an online dealer.
    Quote Originally Posted by CajunAg08 View Post
    Sorry if I got your hopes up. I had a look at the dealer invoice price on that in 2012 when I was considering buying one, LBS was looking to make a deal to get rid of it. It was over $2k, definitely less than $2.5k tho. The Dakota d29 Race (aluminum) might be more in your range in something you can find today.
    Yeah, I noticed the aluminum was more in my price range. I'll check it out.

Geaux ride!
    For another suggestion:Santa Cruz Highball. In R XC trim it's ~$2200. Carbon frame would add another grand.
    -'08 Jamis Dragon Comp

mtbr member
    Not sure what size area you live in but maybe call around and ask all the dealers within your driving distance if they have any 2012's left in stock. I know a dealer close to me that has a Scott Scale Expert (now the 920 or 930 I believe) on sale for $2200. That's the carbon bike and not the alu. I always try to buy previous year models if I can. You might not find the same bike I referenced but something comparable that's more bike than your looking at in a 2013 and with more sh!t on it.

If I had my choice between a Fuji and a Scott and could buy one or the other, the Scott would be the bike without hesitation. That's coming from someone who is racing on a $300 chinese carbon frame.
    "Like" the Brewery Ommegang facebook team page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-...18356588347806

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    Either one of those bikes look fantastic. The XT crank and fox fork look great on the Fuji and I didn't check the specs of the Scott. The Crest or Arch wheelset is a good upgrade due to it not needing proprietary parts like some easton wheels.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by zippinveedub View Post
    I have one of these built up with my own parts and wheels (stans arch). I like it a lot for what it's worth.
    Superfly AL - Trek Bicycle
    That's what I was going to say. I have the Elite version down to 22lbs 1oz in medium frame

Big Boy
    Not a big fan of the recon fork on either one of those bikes, but it is cool to see a company offering a carbon frame for under $2000, but they had to sacrifice in a lot of areas to get it there.

I wish they had another alloy version with a better spec right at the $2000 mark. It would likely be a great deal.

No Stranger to danger....
    LOL, going on looks alone which is the most important thing for racing hehe, the Fuji shites all over the scott, the scotts a very average looking bike imo.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    For that price range, I saw a lot of 2012 $3000 dollar bikes on sale this spring. Deal hunting on last years stock can score a sweet bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by texasnavy05 View Post
    Not a big fan of the recon fork on either one of those bikes, but it is cool to see a company offering a carbon frame for under $2000, but they had to sacrifice in a lot of areas to get it there.

I wish they had another alloy version with a better spec right at the $2000 mark. It would likely be a great deal.
    This is last years model: XtC 29er 1 (2012) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States
    you could always call around, see if an LBS has one. They'd probly cut you a deal on that being an "older" model.
    Personally I like the Recon, its barely heavier than a SID/Reba, and seems to perform about as well.