mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Quick Fix Training!

I've been doing all my training this year for 12h endurance events and not raced in any shorter races.

There's a couple of short XC races, neither longer than an hour, that I might have a look at entering but I was just wondering what training it would be worth doing in the run up to them?
    I'm guessing some interval sessions, something along the lines of the Sufferfest Revolver session.

Any other suggestions or recommendations?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    It's always get to get more starts and traffic practice, how much time until these shorter races?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    About three or four weeks!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I can't find it, but somewhere in Time Crunched Cyclist there's a quote from a phd about a scenario like yours, and that he would do nothing but sprints. I think I'd start with some hard short hill intervals TODAY, working hard for 3 weeks, not forgetting about rest days, and back off to just 'maintenance' rides 4 or 5 days before the event. I'm sure more experienced guys will chime in.

Brant-C.
    what jimPacNW said... you've got the long endurance and base, just need to "sharpen" it for the fast start/sprints/hills.
    I just like riding my mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Cheers guys. I thought intervals would be the way forward.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Here it is on pages 28 and 29; six sessions of 30 second sprint-intervals over 2 weeks doubled athletes time to exhaustion at 80% of peak (paraphrased). One of the scientists mentions that with only a couple of weeks to go prior to a 30 min race, sprint-intervals would likely be a mainstay of training. Your race will probably be longer, but you already have a pretty good base I imagine. Time Crunched is a good book, you still have time to read it with a few weeks to go before your event.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jimPacNW View Post
    Here it is on pages 28 and 29; six sessions of 30 second sprint-intervals over 2 weeks doubled athletes time to exhaustion at 80% of peak (paraphrased). One of the scientists mentions that with only a couple of weeks to go prior to a 30 min race, sprint-intervals would likely be a mainstay of training. Your race will probably be longer, but you already have a pretty good base I imagine. Time Crunched is a good book, you still have time to read it with a few weeks to go before your event.
    Fantastic stuff.
    I've got a copy of Time Crunched at home, I'll have to dig it out tonight when I get home from work. I've read it once before but it was quite a long time ago so I've forgotten most of it!